Red Sox/MLB Hot Stove Part 2: Lockout Edition - 6 games lost, 156 to go

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Former Sox ace Jon Lester has retired.

One of the most quietly efficient pitchers of the last 20 years.

Dude's career began with a cancer scare as a rookie, he came back and won a World Series clincher the next year, then was solid as it came for 6 or 7 more years here. Just a quiet guy who had to share the rotation with big personalities like Schilling, Beckett, and Lackey, but just did his thing without making too much of a fuss. He was always nails in the playoffs too.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Great story about Jon Lester.

My dad passed away from cancer in April 2013. The day he died my brother and his then girlfriend went to the Sox that night and happen to be sitting next to the dugout. Lester was standing there and my brother told him about my dad and he appreciated him beating his cancer. Lester stood there and had a conversation for 10 minutes about my dad and his cancer ordeal to my brother. Blew off anyone from the team walking by to talk to my brother and comfort him.

Months later we decided to have a benefit in his honor at the bar my dad worked at for 30 plus years the Baseball Tavern. When the owner went to see if the Sox would donate anything to raffle off to raise money, a guy from the team went to some of the players. Lester remembered my brother. Remembered the conversation months prior and donated an autographed game worn jersey that he paid himself to have framed to be auctioned off.

Jon Lester. An outstanding baseball player. An even better human being. Love that guy. All the best to him and his family.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

My dad passed away from cancer in April 2013. The day he died my brother and his then girlfriend went to the Sox that night and happen to be sitting next to the dugout. Lester was standing there and my brother told him about my dad and he appreciated him beating his cancer. Lester stood there and had a conversation for 10 minutes about my dad and his cancer ordeal to my brother. Blew off anyone from the team walking by to talk to my brother and comfort him.

Months later we decided to have a benefit in his honor at the bar my dad worked at for 30 plus years the Baseball Tavern. When the owner went to see if the Sox would donate anything to raffle off to raise money, a guy from the team went to some of the players. Lester remembered my brother. Remembered the conversation months prior and donated an autographed game worn jersey that he paid himself to have framed to be auctioned off.

Jon Lester. An outstanding baseball player. An even better human being. Love that guy. All the best to him and his family.

Thanks for sharing.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

Really appreciate you sharing that. Makes me think even more highly of him, which was honestly hard to do.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

big stick tap there man.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
'A lot of teams hit my heart': A superstar in Japan, Seiya Suzuki craves a new challenge in MLB
Asked about his selection criteria, Suzuki expressed no significant preference for AL vs. NL or West Coast vs. East Coast. He’s expected to command a contract in the range of five years and $60 million, which would be the largest multiyear deal for a Japanese player since the Cubs signed outfielder Kosuke Fukudome for four years and $48 million prior to the 2008 season.

His decision will come down to personal preference.

Pressed to provide a short list, Suzuki’s response required no translation. He brought both hands to his lips and pinched them shut.

There had been speculation that Suzuki might return to Japan because of the lockout. He says he's committed to play in MLB this season.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
It's a step-down in competition for him
Interesting quote from Suzuki:
[Suzuki] was about to fulfill a dream that began in 2015, when pitcher Hiroki Kuroda returned to Hiroshima following six seasons with the Dodgers and Yankees and showed Suzuki a video of an Angels outfielder named Mike Trout.

“I was fascinated with how many better players there are in the States,” Suzuki said. “That motivated me to play harder and get better so I could play with them someday.”

Reactions: CDJ

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Yeah no one's going to reach a deal before Spring Training. The union is probably going to drag it on until late March so they don't have to show up for mandatory workouts.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
833872F2-6240-4723-B1BC-7F9FFD32CC4F.jpeg

Latest from the Hall of Fame tracker.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Jon Lester's on Section 10 today. Good interview. He was open to returning in free agency in 2015 even after the Oakland trade, entertained their offer, but Chicago came in higher and won out. Has a good story from the minors when they were in AA and Pedroia started screaming at Hanley for not signalling who's covering 2nd on a steal, threatening to kick his ass in the middle of the game when he was on the mound. And when he announced his retirement Pedey texted him offering to kick his ass at golf.

The best story was Pat Light's John Lackey story from spring training, where he motherf***ed all the minor leaguers for swinging at the first pitch during a sim game.

Chevalier du Clavier

Écrivain de ferrage
Jul 20, 2005
Red Sox sign three top 50 international prospects, including shortstop Freili Encarnacion
Encarnacion is a 16-year-old right-handed hitter from the Dominican Republic who is listed at 6-foot-1, 180 pounds. He will turn 17 on Jan. 26. MLB Pipeline grades his power a 60 (plus) on a 20-80 scale. It grades his arm 55 and hitting, running and fielding tools 50.

Fraymi De Leon is a switch-hitter from the Dominican Republic who is listed at 5-foot-10, 160 pounds. He turned 17 on Sept. 28. MLB Pipeline grades his hit tool a 55, his power, arm and fielding 50 and his running 45.

Garcia is a 6-foot, 205-pound catcher from Venezuela who bats right-handed. He turned 17 on Dec. 8. MLB Pipeline ranks his hit tool a 55, his power, arm and fielding 50 and his running 45.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Johanfran’s brother Jhostynxon is in the system and was pretty good in the DSL last year

Need them both to make it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad