Post-Game Talk: HNIC - Leafs WIN the home opener!!!

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm not sure anyone was hurt by the whole exercise. Dubas was hired into a more senior position at a higher salary, and the Leafs are a better team today than they were at the end of his last season. Frankly, same goes for Keefe. He is in a good spot now after running out of steam in Toronto, and the Leafs have a much better coach.
The people that left got immediate promotions and/or raises. Leafs got chaos in a critical moment, a worse GM, and a worse team because of it. And while there is certainly an argument that it was time for a fresh voice behind the bench, there's really nothing to suggest that Berube is a "much better coach".

• Haha
Reactions: Jmo89 and Zacman

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
The people that left got immediate promotions and/or raises. Leafs got chaos in a critical moment, a worse GM, and a worse team because of it. And while there is certainly an argument that it was time for a fresh voice behind the bench, there's really nothing to suggest that Berube is a "much better coach".
That whole Stanley Cup thing provides some evidence.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Not really.
There is not doubt that Dubas left at a bad time and that might have been as much on Shanny than on Dubie.

What's the evidence that we got a much worse GM? His Calgary performance? That's a much different situation that TO. What he is doing in TO seems pretty good in his first full off-season. We wouldn't judge Dubas solely by what he is doing in Pittsburgh, would we? Different situation.

We needed a new coach and Berube was a good hire. I am not sure that makes him better than Keefe, but we might do better with him.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
There is not doubt that Dubas left at a bad time and that might have been as much on Shanny than on Dubie. What's the evidence that we got a much worse GM? His Calgary performance? That's a much different situation that TO. What he is doing in TO seems pretty good in his first full off-season. We wouldn't judge Dubas solely by what he is doing in Pittsburgh, would we? Different situation. We needed a new coach and Berube was a good hire. I am not sure that makes him better than Keefe, but we might do better with him.
Treliving has not done very well in his Calgary or Toronto situations. This is Treliving's second full offseason, and while it was better than the disaster of last year, there were still some problematic decisions. Berube is fine, I think a fresh voice was justified, and I hope we do better with him, but being part of a cup-winning team 6 years ago doesn't make him a "much better coach". Babcock had a cup too, and he was a trash coach. It's a lazy argument.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Treliving has not done very well in his Calgary or Toronto situations. This is Treliving's second full offseason, and while it was better than the disaster of last year, there were still a number of problematic and questionable decisions. Berube is fine, I think a fresh voice was justified, and I hope we do better with him, but being part of a cup-winning team 6 years ago doesn't make him a "much better coach". Babcock had a cup too, and he was a trash coach. It's a lazy argument.
Really? I thought you described his first off-season as a time of chaos. I don't consider that to be his first FULL off-season. He couldn't change the coach, attend the draft or move any of the core four who Shanny had already declared were staying.

I didn't mention Berube's SC in my post and said he might not even be any better than Keefe, just different...which might make him better right now

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
to all the stat nerds that dump on reaves.... how do you cope with this? LMAO :laugh:

Reaves leads all the Leafs btw ;)

GZvHgo0WQAs1Uxl

Now that is a terrific endorsement on early season coaching.

2 out of 3 games, 7:20 minutes per game.

He and Timmins are tied in minus -1, to lead the team in the wrong direction.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Time for a fresh team? You cheering for failure is pathetic dude, move on.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Keefe will be fine, Dubas is still two years away from "there will be pain". Guy f***ed up the best gig in hockey wit his hubris born power move, to go to a no asset downside legacy team. Enjoy genius!

Yeah, we can say that, but he got a better position.
Like most professionals, you don't usually get promoted over your boss, so the option is a powerplay that fails and you go elsewhere for a promotion.
I've had co-workers who've left the company to a higher position, and then came back to two levels higher.
Dubas top of Penguins hockey operations.

Looks like a darn good career move to me.

I don't love everything he did in Toronto, especially the "going for it" failures. But again, he didn't come up flat in many games in the post season ...

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Really? I thought you described his first off-season as a time of chaos. I don't consider that to be his first FULL off-season. He couldn't change the coach, attend the draft or move any of the core four who Shanny had already declared were staying.
The whole Shanny flip flop and drama and switching streams was chaotic, but Treliving was here by the end of May. There generally isn't much if any offseason that happens before then. He attended the draft; just couldn't be a part of the first pick. Treliving is the one who kept and extended Keefe. And while Shanahan reportedly made a decision on the core for that season, they weren't going to hire a GM that disagreed, and Treliving extended them.

Those weren't really the problematic decisions anyway. Point is, you can't just ignore an entire year of decisions because he wasn't here for a couple weeks in May when the past season is still ongoing and nothing happens anyway.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, we can say that, but he got a better position.
Like most professionals, you don't usually get promoted over your boss, so the option is a powerplay that fails and you go elsewhere for a promotion.
I've had co-workers who've left the company to a higher position, and then came back to two levels higher.
Dubas top of Penguins hockey operations.

Looks like a darn good career move to me.

I don't love everything he did in Toronto, especially the "going for it" failures. But again, he didn't come up flat in many games in the post season ...
He left the best gig in the game. He thought his ego driven powerplay would work, when he got canned he took what he was offered. It wasn’t his first choice so “career move” seems a bit of a laughable frame. Anyways, enjoy the losing, I’d much rather have our team all day long.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He left the best gig in the game. He thought his ego driven powerplay would work, when he got canned he took what he was offered. It wasn’t his first choice so “career move” seems a bit of a laughable frame. Anyways, enjoy the losing, I’d much rather have our team all day long.

Yeah, the Penguins fans don't have a great looking future.

They'll just have to do what I do as a Leafs fan, remember the last Cup with fond memories.

Edit:

Unfortunately, most living Leafs fans have only had a "wait until next year" approach. I'm with them, but at least I've had a "wait until next year" arrive.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Nope. Leafs have always been and always will be my team; even when they make stupid decisions.

The only one doing that is you.

You're the one that brought him up. Take your own advice.
You defended everything Dubas did and now shit on everything Tre does, either you’re willfully ignorant or just so lost in your mind reality doesn’t exist anymore. Neither is flattering. Cheers, every court needs a jester!

Here’s the kicker before your lame tone deaf retort, I argued we should keep Dumbass just prior to his asinine powerplay, that’s the difference between you and me.

Yeah, the Penguins fans don't have a great looking future.

They'll just have to do what I do as a Leafs fan, remember the last Cup with fond memories.
Sadly I have no memories, best I can do is rewatching “The Passion Returns”. 😭😭

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Did you actually read the post I was replying to?

It is good coaching. He's played 2 out of 3 games and averaged 7:20 per game.

That's what he is and, so far, Berube isn't trying to make him into anything else.
The ice time and -1 comment seemed like a dig to me, and you tend to make a lot of sarcastic posts of that nature :dunno: But if it was a genuine compliment then disregard.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
You defended everything Dubas did and now shit on everything Tre does, either you’re willfully ignorant or just so lost in your mind reality doesn’t exist anymore. Neither is flattering. Cheers, every court needs a jester!

Here’s the kicker before your lame tone deaf retort, I argued we should keep Dumbass just prior to his asinine powerplay, that’s the difference between you and me.

Sadly I have no memories, best I can do is rewatching “The Passion Returns”. 😭😭
The irony is saying we have a 'worse GM' and that Berube is apparently not proven to be a better coach despite both having a longer track record with better or at least similar results (Berube has won a cup and also beaten the Boston Bruins in the playoffs, two things the Leafs can never seem to do). Says 'worse GM' but has nothing to actually back it up lmfao. What has Dubas accomplished in the NHL? That's an answer that they will never give you straight up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad