U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Nice!

We play the U.S., right?

I don't know how you stop players from doing that but it's a recipe for disaster.
Depends on the philosophy. I think the analytics crowd are saying take the shot... Some of these ones at the end Canada was not in a shooting position so you need to get a lob or something off the glass that will sit. Smashing it down the ice with no attempt at goal will for sure put a team under pressure.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Highly entertaining game

Canada was lead by Ivankovic, made some huge saves, kept them alive at times. When they needed to they turned it up. Schmidt and McKenna lead the way. Schaeffer made some great plays too

Swedes matched them tonight. Brought a physical presence the Canadians had trouble matching. They have a strong team with good depth

Can’t wait for the medal round

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden played well, always good to see a Canadian goalie step up. Tournament gets interesting now.

The Czechs and those wretched cursed Yankees both have as good a chance at gold as these two teams.
I think the US is a big time sleeper! Very well coached and disciplined.. nightmare semi.

Swedes are just damn good!

Canada rules the Hlinka.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
To my eye... this match will be the final on Saturday.

That would be my guess too. The Czechs are fun, highly talented, but I don’t think they can match the depth of Canada or Sweden

I will say this. The Canadians better be sharp against the Americans. That team works their ass off and plays a very sound game defensively. Canada will have a clear talent advantage, but they’ll be in for a fight

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That would be my guess too. The Czechs are fun, highly talented, but I don’t think they can match the depth of Canada or Sweden

I will say this. The Canadians better be sharp against the Americans. That team works their ass off and plays a very sound game defensively. Canada will have a clear talent advantage, but they’ll be in for a fight
This US squad has nightmare vibes to me. Very disciplined and patient.

Sweden is deeper and better for sure. They play us very well too! It will be a nervous watch for sure!

Reactions: jj cale

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Pretty entertaining and tight game. Not often you see a Swedish team match (or even more so) team Canada when it comes to the physical play. Fourth line grinder Eddie Genborg was a treat to watch with several big hits and overall hard work. Few of the Swedish stars really stood out though. Swedish D was so so. Malte Vass has been surprisingly good in this tourney, however. Hugo Hallin was brutal and should have been benched.

Hope to see a rematch in the final.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
One particular play regarding Mckenna about midway through the period he gets the puck on an outlet in the neutral zone and he finds himself getting the puck about 4 feet from the Swedish d-man who is just getting his bearings and there is tons of real estate on the left side of him

Well, Mcdavid even at 16 would have just taken that and blown right by him on the side and it would have ended either in a goal or great chance created but Mckenna as good a skater as he is doesn't have the freak other gear and it doesn't even occur to him to even try that.

As good as he is that's the difference between guys like him and Mcdavid, in other words the difference between a franchise player and a generational one.

I'd cool it on the generational talk right now, he's going to be a fantastic player but generational? might be time to take a breath
Agreed. McKenna is definitely above RNH and Hall, not quite at McDavid level. He has his McJesus moments, but it's not consistent.

Reactions: jj cale

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
This US squad has nightmare vibes to me. Very disciplined and patient.

Sweden is deeper and better for sure. They play us very well too! It will be a nervous watch for sure!
If we dared not to nominate Nestrašil and Frolo, then I think this statement is a bit bold. The first line also scores points for the Swedes. I don't want to claim that we are better at all, I saw us at the same level before the tournament and nothing has changed.

Reactions: Czechboy

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Eddie "The Cyborg" Genborg was pretty fun to watch out there. Love the physicality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad