U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I love using Hlinka as a measuring stick of the growth of USA hockey. This tourney gives us a glimpse at how we’re doing depth-wise. Honestly these are the games I look forward to as much as any. USA’s B team in a game they have no business hanging around. I look forward to these games so much cuz I know how good I’ll feel if we can hang in.

The fact that the so-callled B team does well - is jt possible that there are players who should be in the NTDP that either aren't being chosen or is it a case of other development options being preferable to Plymouth (formerly Ann Arbor)?

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
The fact that the so-callled B team does well - is jt possible that there are players who should be in the NTDP that either aren't being chosen or is it a case of other development options being preferable to Plymouth (formerly Ann Arbor)?
Yes, I assume there are players who, for whatever reason, don’t end up in the program. I wasn’t trying to denigrate non usntdp guys. I was just trying to say I use this tourney to wrap my head anround our best 50, as opposed to our best 25.

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
100% - ntdp didn’t have a great season but to be fair it’s really tough to evaluate and pick kids for u -16 age group where majority them middle of puberty ect - kevan looks great and sychora has a pro shot now -

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
usa “ b “ team reference is so called top players usa” a” team are on the ntdp already . however historically it’s really top 3-6 studs on ntdp that are the difference makers .

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The US doesn't send anyone in the NTDP to this. It's not quite a "B" team, but their very best players in this age group (generally) aren't here.
Why don't they send the 07 NTDP players? Do they have prior commitments?

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Why don't they send the 07 NTDP players? Do they have prior commitments?
They play them during the u18 which is what they consider the major tournament at that age. Canada doesnt because its right in the middle of CHL playoffs. Canada won the U18 this year vs the USA 'A' team while it played its 'B' team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
They play them during the u18 which is what they consider the major tournament at that age. Canada doesnt because its right in the middle of CHL playoffs. Canada won the U18 this year vs the USA 'A' team while it played its 'B' team.
So now the US B team wants revenge on Canada A team.

Reactions: jj cale

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Some Benak love!

Curious if he can break through the Swedes and get some points today!

Still hope for a bit more secondary scoring... Pekar and Dravecky come to mind.

Hoping for not 'fatal error' from Dravecky or Zahesky (who has been excellent)

Hoping coaches go with same lineup as they did for Canada exhibition, US win and German win.

Stebetak in net please.

Reactions: Goodman68

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cameron, Rombach, Grimes, Fiddler, Simpson, and Kevan would all help that team.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Shots are 8-1 for the Germans.. I blame myself for tuning in.
Granted, I am no expert on Czech/Slovak culture but i've always wondered why you tend to be buddy buddy and cheer for each other given that Slovakia separated from the Czechs. If say, Alberta did that in Canada they would instantly become a pretty disliked rival.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Granted, I am no expert on Czech/Slovak culture but i've always wondered why you tend to be buddy and cheer for each other given that Slovakia separated from the Czechs. If say, Alberta did that in Canada they would instantly become a pretty disliked rival.
It was a choice made by the politicians at the time not the people. But sooner or later it would happen anyway.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Granted, I am no expert on Czech/Slovak culture but i've always wondered why you tend to be buddy buddy and cheer for each other given that Slovakia separated from the Czechs. If say, Alberta did that in Canada they would instantly become a pretty disliked rival.
You would probably be in for a shock if you opened facebook comments, lmao

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
My view.. and mine alone... I don't represent anyone.

We should have never been put together
We existed peacefully
We seperated peacefully (I don't think that was Slovak initiated or that they left us)

I will always cheer for the Slovaks when not playing us. I feel closer to them than our other neighbors - Germany, Poland, Austria etc. I see it as cousins personally.

Still pissed they were put into Pool Z and had the Stastny's playing Jamaica to get back into the Olympics! That was criminal IMO.

I will decline on some obvious Alberta jokes here.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You would probably be in for a shock if you opened facebook comments, lmao
lol...........really?

Any hockey message board i;ve been on it's been the exact opposite and they tend to support each other.

Could it really be possible that perhaps for the first time in history hockey fans are more mature then the general public?

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
lol...........really?

Any hockey message board i;ve been on it's been the exact opposite and they tend to support each other.

Could it really be possible that perhaps for the first time in history hockey fans are more mature then the general public?
I think posters from smaller countries just try to keep it civil, why spread hate here or something

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad