U18: Hlinka Gretzky Cup 2024

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
If we dared not to nominate Nestrašil and Frolo, then I think this statement is a bit bold. The first line also scores points for the Swedes. I don't want to claim that we are better at all, I saw us at the same level before the tournament and nothing has changed.
I'm expecting a 3-2 type match. No idea who gets 3 though.

Only thing I don't like about us is our PP needs to be much more effective.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Klingsell-Gästrin-Stenberg must be the best line in the tournament
Will Sweden be the favorite at the U18's in April?

Having that as a second line is sickening, especially if they can get Frondell and JIW to show up and be the first line. Bjorck as the third line center will be unfair. And that defense will be good. If they don't have Boum, it might be the weakness. They'll probably have the best goaltender with Love.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Germany's goaltender was brutal. It felt like he couldn't stop any shots, unless Simpson took it or would've gotten a point on the play. I don't think most of our forwards are that good. Simpson can make things happen and Kevan has been much better the last two games. We have a good defensive core, even if we also have a few weak links you can get at (Engle, McCrate, Murphy), but they are all paired up with good players that can babysit them. And our first goaltender Cameron has been very good so far. The goaltending against Germany wasn't good. Think we allowed only like 12 or 13 shots, and somehow 3 goals, but Cameron didn't play in that game.

I don't think we'll beat Canada, but it would be nice if for once we could make things happen at this tournament. Even though we bring a "B" team I think we are better than our results over the years and one of these years we might be due to win it. Hopefully this year.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Germany's goaltender was brutal. It felt like he couldn't stop any shots, unless Simpson took it or would've gotten a point on the play. I don't think most of our forwards are that good. Simpson can make things happen and Kevan has been much better the last two games. We have a good defensive core, even if we also have a few weak links you can get at (Engle, McCrate, Murphy), but they are all paired up with good players that can babysit them. And our first goaltender Cameron has been very good so far. The goaltending against Germany wasn't good. Think we allowed only like 12 or 13 shots, and somehow 3 goals, but Cameron didn't play in that game.

I don't think we'll beat Canada, but it would be nice if for once we could make things happen at this tournament. Even though we bring a "B" team I think we are better than our results over the years and one of these years we might be due to win it. Hopefully this year.

Any info on where Cameron will be playing this season?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002

Having that as a second line is sickening, especially if they can get Frondell and JIW to show up and be the first line. Bjorck as the third line center will be unfair. And that defense will be good. If they don't have Boum, it might be the weakness. They'll probably have the best goaltender with Love.
Sweden and US on paper, with Czechia and Canada contending imo.

Question as always will be how many players will be missing due to playoffs/promotion play. Some Swedish kids in NA this season as well.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

2025 NHL Draft: Which Defenseman Gets Picked First?​

"As of today, albeit nearly 11 months before the draft, it looks like 6-foot-1, 174-pound Matthew Schaefer is the early favorite to be the first defender off the board. The former first overall pick of the 2023 Ontario Hockey League (OHL) Priority Draft, he entered juniors with lots of promise—he has lived up to it and a lot more."

Last edited:
Reactions: FLAMESFAN

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

We often do good in U18. Better than we do in U20.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Any info on where Cameron will be playing this season?
I don't know, but I was looking at this earlier today. Omaha draft pick. They already have Yegorov and Hendrickson, both of whom are very good.

Most likely he'll be their third goalie, play wherever he played last season most games, get a few games at some point throughout the season in the USHL, and then be one of their regular goalies for the following season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Question as always will be how many players will be missing due to playoffs/promotion play. Some Swedish kids in NA this season as well.
They've done a good job this tournament without Frondell. I think it's going under the radar that they've been the second best team at this tournament without their best player.

But you are right. USA won't be missing players, but how good the other three and Finland (as bad as they are in this age group) are will depend in large part on which players are available.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Czechs couldn't win a U18 with our prime Nagano squad. We are cursed at that one lol.

Reactions: ORRFForever

jtechkid

May 24, 2024
what’s the deal Sweden boudemine- the dmen playing at Bu this year - haven’t noticed him that much ? suppose top 15 pick

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I love using Hlinka as a measuring stick of the growth of USA hockey. This tourney gives us a glimpse at how we’re doing depth-wise. Honestly these are the games I look forward to as much as any. USA’s B team in a game they have no business hanging around. I look forward to these games so much cuz I know how good I’ll feel if we can hang in.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It's been fun. Nice to see Canada doing well - there is little chemistry on TC but certain players have excelled. I'm hoping Schaefer is a Top 5 player come July.

Canada vs Czechia in the finals - Canada wins Gold.

U.S. vs Sweden for bronze - Sweden wins Bronze.

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
i think Sweden beats czech - then i think sweden upsets canada -
Sweden played a very strong defensive game vs canada. Canada likes to make 2-3 extra passes which can be difficult when Sweden is so good at defending with their sticks.

A rematch will be a big test if it ends up that way

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
i think Sweden beats czech - then i think sweden upsets canada -

TBH, during last night's game, I was never worried Canada would lose - I always felt, even though we could not hit the net, we'd come out on top. I can't see Sweden beating Canada in the GMG but I guess we'll see.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Another positive article on M Schaefer's play...

Matthew Schaefer: Leading Canada’s Charge at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup​

He's getting more attention than McKenna....

"Daily Faceoff’s Steven Ellis has Schaefer ranked fifth. Ellis stated that he is an incredible skater and is always actively engaged at both ends of the ice. Offensively, Schaefer has real potential, but he’s also positionally sound and aggressive in his own zone. “I’m not sure he’s a lock to be the first defender taken, but I think he’s got the upper edge in a year that won’t be as dominated by high-end blue liners as 2024 was,”

Looks like I might get my wish and he breaks the Top 5.

Last edited:

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
This Czech team reminds me of the slovak 2021 juggernaut team - same opponents and even similar results: beat USA, destroy Germany and Finland and then beat Sweden. I think Czechia will copy that path and win today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad