Salary Cap: Highest Paid Players in 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ah yes, because you truly know about the Coyotes funding and investments. If the yotes thought investing money into Am34 was a way to make more money longer term by getting local fans into the area to see the homegrown Arizona boy, I am sure they would have found a way to pay him.

I posted real information from people that know a thing or two about the situation. That is all.
"nobody told me they wouldn't" is not evidence of anything whatsoever.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yup only exclusive to Toronto. How about when MTL offer sheeted Aho and he signed it? Going forward with the flat cap, I could see more offer sheets being thrown around if there's a good RFA and a team with cap issues.
The Canes were smart. Low ball Aho to the point that he goes searching for offersheets. Given the first round picks cost of offersheets, he can't get market value. He signs one anyways for below market value (because it's still more than the Canes offered and he doesn't want to sit out a season) and the Canes match. Genius. If only boy wonder was so smart.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
Zero % chance the Coyotes were going to offer Matthews 13.5Mx5stop it Dubas fanboys.

The very max they'd do is 11ish on a 8 year deal if they somehow managed to convince him to go home, which itself was unlikely as he realized they didn't have many good players and the leafs could match that offersheet with him signing it killing his reputation on the team and in the fanbase.

Do all dubas super fans live in such a absurd fantasy?

Matthews got the worse superstar RFA contract ever.

He wasn't worth 11M x 8 when he signed. Next year when he goes back to being a fringe top 10 player he won't be worth the deal either.

If he wanted his dumb number on the deal it should've should've 10.34 x 8

I don't think Auston or Mitch care about their reputation on the team or within the fanbase.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
They haven’t even come close to earning it or did you not watch the playoff the last 5 years
1. I've watched all of those 5 playoffs, and many of the complaints about those individuals range from wildly exaggerated to just plain wrong.
2. Most complaints are referencing stuff that happened after they were signed, which is irrelevant to what they had earned at time of signing.
3. Post-ELC contracts are not based on playoff results. Many haven't even played in the playoffs at that point.

Reactions: uncleben

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
Apparently Tampa gets their players to sign for less due to the tax advantages.

Yet our stars get 2+ mil in just endorsements for playing in Toronto. How does that not lower their demands?

They got signing bonuses (in case of lockout they still get paid), front loaded (money is worth more now than in 3 years), short term compared to most rfa's and a massive cap hit.

Dubas royally f*** those deals up.

I hope 16 and 34 are embarrassed taking home that much while completely failing in the PO.

Do you think the other players don't mind that they make 1/10 of what auston and mitch make while putting in twice the effort?
Agreed.

Also, your last point is bang on. Of course it bothers them! The common response to this is that "the players are professionals" and it shouldn't bother them. Professionals or not, they're not androids. People are people. Of course it bothers some players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs clearly have among the worst contracts in the entire NHL and perfect example of what not to do in a Salary Cap era if you want to be Cup competitive.

Toronto is among the Flagship franchises of the NHL when it comes to financial wealth, stability and unlimited spending resources, but resemble the Titanic when it comes to managing it in a Salary Cap World, which caps its spending limit in an effort to level the playing surface for all.

Since the salary cap was introduced in 2005-06 (post lockout) . In those 16 years the Toronto Maple Leafs have produced 10 X Missed the Playoffs & 6 X Lost in Round #1. Worst performance in the NHL. !!!

Talk about embarrassing results where money is no object, yet managing the spending of it brings a franchise crumbling to its knees.

Leafs can only figure out how to spend harder, but sadly how to spend smarter is not in their realm of expertise. Proving you can't $$ buy success with all the money in the World, you need to earn it, and how you spend and allocate it and on whom is the key to success.

PS. You know your team is in trouble when the contracts your GM hands out send shock waves through the NHL, then other smart GMs simply turn around and ignore them and write them off and go about signing their own players tossing Leafs comparables out the window as anomalies, when managing their own Salary Caps more effectively and efficiently.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The endorsement money Marner and Matthews get from being a Maple Leaf is obnoxious. The fact this reality was never used by Dubas as a lever to extract less salary is just another twist of the knife for Leafs fans. It should also be a big factor resigning Hyman, who does a lot of endorsements here as well. There’s no escrow on endorsements, it’s a huge advantage playing in Toronto and yet we still pay everyone the highest of dollars, with all the money up front. All these inherent advantages we have here and we still sign the worst contracts. Maddening.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.

Calling BS on this nonsense for a couple of reasons.
  1. Arizona can't afford that type of contract in dollar terms
  2. Even if they could and "people around the league" knew this, then Matthews' people would have known about it as well. Which meant he knowingly turned down max dollars for 7 years from either Toronto (matching) or his home town Yotes in order to sign for 5 yrs @ $11M. Think about the likelihood of that happening while considering that he's represented by one of the premier agencies in the world.
Doesn't make any logical sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Calling BS on this nonsense for a couple of reasons.
  1. Arizona can't afford that type of contract in dollar terms
  2. Even if true, and "people around the league" knew this, then Matthews' people would have known as well. Therefore he turned down max dollars for 7 years from either Toronto (matching) or his home town Yotes in order to sign for 5 yrs @ $11M. Think about the likelihood of that happening while considering that he's represented by one of the premier agencies in the world.
Doesn't make any logical sense.
I suppose its possible, but Dubas can't operate out of what might be possible. Deal with it when it happens. Me. I'm taking the 4 first round picks. I wouldn't be happy about it, but it could be worse. The league should go back to the max compensation of 5 first round picks instead of 4. Going back to your point 1, I can't see Arizona coughing up that much cash for Auston Matthews.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
That's on Dubas.

Rantanen and Stamkos make less than Marner.

NHL Agent Poll: Maple Leafs’ Kyle Dubas Deemed Most Generous GM (forbes.com)

wJjF8LX.png

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I suppose its possible

So the Yotes were going to offer a max offer sheet and accordingly to the report, it was known around the league. If that was true, then the Matthew's camp also would have known about it.

That would mean Matthews and his representatives knew there was a 16 x 7 ($112M) offer was coming on July 1st, and they signed for 11 x 5 ($55M) instead in January.

No chance in hell.

Last edited:

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
So the Yotes were going to offer a max offer sheet and accordingly to the report, it was known around the league. If that was true, then the Matthew's camp also would have known about it.

That would mean Matthews and his representatives knew there was a 16 x 7 ($112M) offer coming on July 1st, and they signed for 11 x 5 ($55M) instead in January.

No chance in hell.
I can believe someone would have given an offer sheet. The details of which would be mere speculation, even the offer sheet itself is speculation. I'm expecting the team in Arizona to fold and move somewhere else.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015

That would mean Matthews and his representatives knew there was a 16 x 7 ($112M) offer coming on July 1st, and they signed for 11 x 5 ($55M) instead in January.

No chance in hell.
It's complete bullshit.

An absolute lie. The "Dubas team" side of the media were in full damage control after those horrendous contracts were given out. Spin, rhetoric, and lies all around. None of it substantiated.

16x7 (lol), 4 first round picks, front-loading, signing bonuses...I mean, we're talking about PHOENIX right?

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I can believe someone would have given an offer sheet. The details of which would be mere speculation, even the offer sheet itself is speculation. I'm expecting the team in Arizona to fold and move somewhere else.

Perhaps someone would have, but a "known" 16 x 7 offer from the Yotes that the OP (and Friedman) used as an example wasn't going to happen.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Yup only exclusive to Toronto. How about when MTL offer sheeted Aho and he signed it? Going forward with the flat cap, I could see more offer sheets being thrown around if there's a good RFA and a team with cap issues.

Oh god how nice life would have been if our guys signed any discount offer sheets :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We can agree to disagree on if the offer sheet for 34 was real or not.

I am in favor of firing Dubas if he doesn't get improvement and better results this season. Its a results business, I believe both him and Keefe have one season left before MLSE has enough and they get fired .

MLSE is letting Dubas make personnel changes ex: they recently hired a GM for the marlies and promoted the previous guy to senior role (not sure which one) i.e. MSLE is piling on salaries in the admin hierarchy based on dubas' recommendations. That is a sign that they are not going to fire him. It is absolutely frustrating as a Leafs fan.

That is why I request all the Leafs fans to stop buying or spending money on anything Leafs. Instead make sure your hard earned money is spent on something that brings pleasure/happiness/peace of mind in your own lives or someone else's who aren't as lucky in life (i.e. donate to the charity you see fit instead of spending on the Leafs).

I work my ass off for what little I earn and I am done investing in millionaires' fund to see them go on vacation and live a large life without giving a crap about people that support them.

I have decided I am not going to spend even a penny on the Leafs anymore until I see improvements or Shanahan/Dubas and their hand picked choices are gone from this organization.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Isn't this what you guys said after last year's failure too? How many times do you guys want to keep kicking the can down the road?

Personally for me, last season was kinda of write off with the long break then right into playoff hockey. I would imagine MLSE cut him some slack as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad