Salary Cap: Highest Paid Players in 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
1 other team was rumored to have offered more and it was only a rumor because it was never confirmed and there's no way Boston and Tampa were offering anywhere near what he signed for

also a discount implies he took less than he was worth not that he may have taken a lower overpayment

and if you want to go by rumors then Mathews took an even bigger discount since the rumor floated about a month after he signed was the broke ass yotes were going to offer 16m per , lol

Marner also floated he could have signed an offer sheet for more but no one believes him so why are M and M being greedy and not Johnny Teflon ?

and at the end of the day Tavares is by far the most overpaid of the 3 based on performance and the one Dubas has to find a way to trade to get this ship pointed back in the right direction

Tavares only had a few teams he was interested in playing for, so it's pointless for teams like Boston to be offering anything...Montreal was interested in Tavares too, but he had no interest in playing for them...there were implicit details by the media that the Sharks were offering $13 million per on a long term deal for Tavares...there were no details of any team offer sheeting Marner for four 1st round picks...Dubas is an idiot...Matthews signed before he became a RFA, so the threat of an offersheet from Arizona was wishful thinking rumours about playing for his hometown team...and Arizona is bleeding losses every year, so there's no way they would be able to fork out those huge signing bonuses the Leafs are playing Matthews every July.

Again, Tavares was a UFA...why is this so hard to understand? The reason why Matthews and Marner refused to give up more UFA years is because the Leafs would have to pay for them. Also, Tavares was a lot more accomplished as a player than Matthews and Marner were when he signed with the Leafs...he's a proven #1 centre who had been a Hart finalist twice, and finished only 1 point behind Benn for the Art Ross one year...what had Matthews and Marner accomplished to have deserved those contracts that Dubas gave them? By the way, Marner's contract is more expensive than Tavares' if you account for the fact that it's only 6 years and how close the AAVs are.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Tavares only had a few teams he was interested in playing for, so it's pointless for teams like Boston to be offering anything...Montreal was interested in Tavares too, but he had no interest in playing for them...there were implicit details by the media that the Sharks were offering $13 million per on a long term deal for Tavares...there were no details of any team offer sheeting Marner for four 1st round picks...Dubas is an idiot...Matthews signed before he became a RFA, so the threat of an offersheet from Arizona was wishful thinking rumours about playing for his hometown team...and Arizona is bleeding losses every year, so there's no way they would be able to fork out those huge signing bonuses the Leafs are playing Matthews every July.

Again, Tavares was a UFA...why is this so hard to understand? The reason why Matthews and Marner refused to give up more UFA years is because the Leafs would have to pay for them. Also, Tavares was a lot more accomplished as a player than Matthews and Marner were when he signed with the Leafs...he's a proven #1 centre who had been a Hart finalist twice, and finished only 1 point behind Benn for the Art Ross one year...what had Matthews and Marner accomplished to have deserved those contracts that Dubas gave them? By the way, Marner's contract is more expensive than Tavares' if you account for the fact that it's only 6 years and how close the AAVs are.
So just because another team was willing to wreck their cap we need to beat them to it? We were absolutely stacked up front when we signed Tavares. We needed D

is Tavares 6.5 million better than Kadri?

Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson & Kapanen in the system

does this team need a forward?

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So just because another team was willing to wreck their cap we need to beat them to it? We were absolutely stacked up front when we signed Tavares. We needed D

is Tavares 6.5 million better than Kadri?

Marleau-Kadri-Marner
JVR-Bozak-Brown
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson & Kapanen in the system

does this team need a forward?

Two #1 centres down the middle is much less of a problem than the overpayment on the wings...Marner's contract is the most egregious right now...if we could get a good deal in trading Marner to balance the line-up, we should, but Dubas would not.

Kadri was sucking it when his contract was signed.

Reactions: Beleafer34

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Two #1 centres down the middle is much less of a problem than the overpayment on the wings...Marner's contract is the most egregious right now...if we could get a good deal in trading Marner to balance the line-up, we should, but Dubas would not.
I can agree with this. C is important AND Cs can play wing if you want to load up. Dubas loves overpaying and drafting wingers. You can tell he know little about the game outside of analytics

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

Kadri was sucking it when his contract was signed.
Gimme Cs, D and goalies. We can find wingers later. Cs and D raise the play of wingers anyhow

we have 20 million in RW next season. 1/4 of the cap

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Gimme Cs, D and goalies. We can find wingers later. Cs and D raise the play of wingers anyhow

we have 20 million in RW next season. 1/4 of the cap

Tavares has been raising the play of his wingers for years...made alot wingers alot of money.

There will be major changes if the Leafs don't make the playoffs next year or get ousted in round 1 again...let's see what happens...I'm looking forward to what the summer has in store for this team and if Dubas will make any significant moves.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Tavares had been raising the play of his wingers for years...made a lot wingers alot of money.

There will be major changes if the Leafs don't make the playoffs next year or get ousted in round 1 again...let's see what happens...I'm looking forward to what the summer has in store for this team and if Dubas will make any significant moves.
I think we can make it work if we spread out the talent. But unfortunately Keefe is one of the dumbest coaches I’ve ever seen for making lines
11-34-88
65-91-11
89-15-16

Even if Dubas improves the team Keefe will coach them below their ability in the playoffs and at par during the season

Reactions: Superstar

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Even though the matthews caphit is a bit higher, it’s the term that is horrid. He’s American, he’s from Arizona, the Toronto maple leafs signing an Arizona native hockey player to 5 years from his ELC screams he’s gone after his contract is up. If I’m matthews, I go to Vegas, party town, great weather, close to home, no state taxes, a competitive team/organization, he gets it all by going to vegas

Reactions: killer1980

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think we can make it work if we spread out the talent. But unfortunately Keefe is one of the dumbest coaches I’ve ever seen for making lines
11-34-88
65-91-11
89-15-16

Even if Dubas improves the team Keefe will coach them below their ability in the playoffs and at par during the season

That line-up is a good balance attack...don't know what's wrong with Keefe...he was hellbent on not separating Marner from Matthews.

Ducharme plays Anderson on the 3rd line, and he is giving teams fits in the playoffs.

Reactions: Stonehands1990

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
JT at 7 is pathetic , you'd think he'd set a precedent for the kids and take a reasonable deal for his worth which would have been at tops 9m per but he had to get the ball rolling by giving it to Dubas hard .
Simple solution if Dubas actually was concerned about precedents: don't sign JT.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

JT met with 5 teams , Bos/Tampa/SJ/NY and Tor so the only reason you would say it would have been pointless for them to make an offer is you know there's no way either Bos or Tampa would offer anywhere near what he signed for .

Implicit details ? one insider comes out and says the rumor was SJ offered 13m and the rest repeat it and after a coupe of days people take it as a fact

and JT accomplish nothing on the Island other than being a very good offensive player who led his team nowhere

also i don't know why you keep acting like i'm defending M and M's contract since i've always said there overpaid

my only point is JT has the worst deal of the 3 but since people seem to believe he's unmovable they've shifted there anger for our f***ed cap to Marner/Mathews

Last edited:

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
JT met with 5 teams , Bos/Tampa/SJ/NY and Tor so the only reason you would say it would have been pointless for them to make an offer is you know there's no way either Bos or Tampa would offer anywhere near what he signed for .

Implicit details ? one insider comes out and says the rumor was SJ offered 13m and the rest repeat it and after a coupe of days people take it as a fact

and JT accomplish nothing on the Island other than being a very good offensive player who led his team nowhere

also i don't know why you keep acting like i'm defending M and M's contract since i've always said there overpaid

my only point is JT has the worst deal of the 3 but since people seem to believe his unmovable they've shifted there anger for our f***ed cap to Marner/Mathews
Wait until his skating and age become an anchor. Backes 2.0

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Simple solution if Dubas actually was concerned about precedents: don't sign JT.
and few if any of our fans would have had a problem if Dubas didn't sign him since it's not like anyone was advocating spending 11m before we signed him

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
and few if any of our fans would have had a problem if Dubas didn't sign him since it's not like anyone was advocating spending the 11m before we signed him
In hindsight, sure. Back then, everyone and their mother seemed to be all over Gord Miller when he suggested that this might not work.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
In hindsight, sure. Back then, everyone and their mother seemed to be all over Gord Miller when he suggested that this might not work.
that's while he was unsigned , if he went back to the Island and signed for what we gave him most would have done a 180 and said we dodged a bullet at that cap hit or something to that effect , it's no different from what happening on this board with Hyman but in reverse

rumor is he's leaving and wanting 5 plus so it's ''love ya but good luck on your new team''

now if he does come back the tune will change too ''well team xyz would have offered more and he's irreplaceable''

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Who cares about hard work, work ethic, determination, will to win, fight for the cup(s) when....

tenor.gif

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
11m is a discount ? lol

and they all say they were offered more by another team including Clarkson to try to justify there overpayments . too bad it's almost never confirmed by the team supposedly offering more

Seeing how the Islanders and Sharks offered him more money, yes technically he took a discount because he could have made more money else where.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad