Salary Cap: Highest Paid Players in 2021

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Tavares only had a few teams he was interested in playing for, so it's pointless for teams like Boston to be offering anything...Montreal was interested in Tavares too, but he had no interest in playing for them...there were implicit details by the media that the Sharks were offering $13 million per on a long term deal for Tavares...there were no details of any team offer sheeting Marner for four 1st round picks...Dubas is an idiot...Matthews signed before he became a RFA, so the threat of an offersheet from Arizona was wishful thinking rumours about playing for his hometown team...and Arizona is bleeding losses every year, so there's no way they would be able to fork out those huge signing bonuses the Leafs are playing Matthews every July

Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

The offer sheet from the Coyotes was a very real threat, as Friedman confirms here.

"The Sportsnet insider joined Barstool Sports’ Spittin’ Chiclets podcast (warning: explicit language) on Monday and said that he believes it was the Coyotes’ intention to pry Matthews away from Toronto via the offer sheet process.
“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.
“Nobody has said to me that’s false. I think the Leafs believed it, I think the Coyotes were going to do it and I think the league knew it. So the attitude is moving.”"

The Marner offer sheet, I agree was very unlikely but the threat of an offer sheet for Matthews was very real even if you think Arizona couldn't afford to pay him his money. Better to do your own business then have someone do it for you. If they offered him 13.5m, the 4 first round picks wouldn't have been enough for him.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Seeing how the Islanders and Sharks offered him more money, yes technically he took a discount because he could have made more money else where.
there was rumor they offered more , it was never confirmed by either team

in demand ufa's get overpaid which i understand and i have no issues with but what i do have a issue with is constantly hearing he came here on a discount when he's not and never has been worth anywhere near what he signed for

and his contract has singlehandedly destroyed our ability to build a deep lineup

Reactions: myleafs

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The poorest team in the league was going to use money to steal a player from the richest team in the league....

Ah yes, because you truly know about the Coyotes funding and investments. If the yotes thought investing money into Am34 was a way to make more money longer term by getting local fans into the area to see the homegrown Arizona boy, I am sure they would have found a way to pay him.

I posted real information from people that know a thing or two about the situation. That is all.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
there was rumor they offered more , it was never confirmed by either team

in demand ufa's get overpaid which i understand and i have no issues with but what i do have a issue with is constantly hearing he came here on a discount when he's not and never has been worth anywhere near what he signed for

and his contract has singlehandedly destroyed our ability to build a deep lineup

Tavares took less money to come home - TSN.ca Is this just another reporter throwing shit against the wall and hopes it stick? Perhaps the Islander report was false, but the Sharks did offer him more money.

That's a fair comment though, maybe his contract wasn't discount but he did leave more money on the table. JT has been pretty good for us in all of his seasons here so far, he improved drastically this year in his own end of the ice, really turned into a solid two way center where before he was more offensively minded.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
True story.

Heard it from a Toronto-area sports reporter, once upon a time.

Must be true.

Yup, these reporters just throw shit against the wall and jeopardize their own creditability for no reason. It's one thing to not believe it becuase its Eklund reporting it, but Friedman has broken multiple trades/signings/firings/hiring's.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Friedman: Coyotes eyed Auston Matthews offer sheet before extension

The offer sheet from the Coyotes was a very real threat, as Friedman confirms here.

"The Sportsnet insider joined Barstool Sports’ Spittin’ Chiclets podcast (warning: explicit language) on Monday and said that he believes it was the Coyotes’ intention to pry Matthews away from Toronto via the offer sheet process.
“The Toronto Maple Leafs 100% believed that if Auston Matthews got to July 1 last year, Arizona was going to offer-sheet him seven years, the max,” Friedman said. “And I’ve looked at it, and people around the league have told me they believe that to be the case.
“Nobody has said to me that’s false. I think the Leafs believed it, I think the Coyotes were going to do it and I think the league knew it. So the attitude is moving.”"

The Marner offer sheet, I agree was very unlikely but the threat of an offer sheet for Matthews was very real even if you think Arizona couldn't afford to pay him his money. Better to do your own business then have someone do it for you. If they offered him 13.5m, the 4 first round picks wouldn't have been enough for him.
Mathews signed his extension Feb 5th , Elliot reported the Yotes rumor Mar 10th .

seems to me one of the company men floated this rumor to try to defend Dubas since there were many reports of GM's pissed at him for handing AM such a ridiculous cap hit for that term

Last edited:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Yup, these reporters just throw shit against the wall and jeopardize their own creditability for no reason. It's one thing to not believe it becuase its Eklund reporting it, but Friedman has broken multiple trades/signings/firings/hiring's.

Dubas got scared of Toronto-area hockey reporters rumors.

It's amazing how the on-ice product takes on the character of the GM.

Our $11.63 million star centre laughs when he gets rag-dolled.

And our GM gets scared-shitless into paying him that contract based on nothing more than a rumour...

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Mathews signed his extension Feb 5th , Elliot reported the Yotes rumor Mar 10th .

seems to me one of company men floated this rumor to try to defend Dubas since there were many reports of GM's pissed at him for handing AM such a ridiculous cap hit for that term

Oh wow, I stand corrected.

The Toronto-area reporter created the rumour AFTER the signing.

It's even worse than originally thought :laugh:

Reactions: egd27

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Ah yes, because you truly know about the Coyotes funding and investments. If the yotes thought investing money into Am34 was a way to make more money longer term by getting local fans into the area to see the homegrown Arizona boy, I am sure they would have found a way to pay him.

I posted real information from people that know a thing or two about the situation. That is all.

The Coyotes failed to make salary last year….

Big difference between Coyotes wanting to offer sheet him and actually being able to put one together.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tavares took less money to come home - TSN.ca Is this just another reporter throwing shit against the wall and hopes it stick? Perhaps the Islander report was false, but the Sharks did offer him more money.

That's a fair comment though, maybe his contract wasn't discount but he did leave more money on the table. JT has been pretty good for us in all of his seasons here so far, he improved drastically this year in his own end of the ice, really turned into a solid two way center where before he was more offensively minded.
San Jose Sharks were believed to have offered a seven-year, $91 million deal

the headline said he took less like it was a fact but later in the article it was worded as it was speculated he took less

also it doesn't really matter if he did or didn't get offered more since there's no added value to the Leafs if he came here for less and he has been ''pretty good'' but pretty good isn't worth anywhere near 11m

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

seems to me one of company men floated this rumor to try to defend Dubas since there were many reports of GM's pissed at him for handing AM such a ridiculous cap hit for that term

One comment is from a trusted "insider" another is from Hotpaws on HFboards, I think I know what one I'll take my information from. What else do ya got for me? What other outlandish comment or feeling do you have about Dubas?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
One comment is from a trusted "insider" another is from Hotpaws on HFboards, I think I know what one I'll take my information from. What else do ya got for me? What other outlandish comment or feeling do you have about Dubas?

Hotpaws on HFboards just exposed your timeline as completely off from what you're trying to pass off..

Elliot Friedman (Toronto area sports reporter) "reported" this rumor after the contract was signed.

Keep trying though, you old sock.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Elliott breaking the Yotes rumor over a month after AM signed isn't a comment or opinion it's fact .

and you can believe anything you want but just a word of advice , i wouldn't get too attached to Dubas since if he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his butt this summer and actually improve the team he'll be long gone by this time next year

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Hotpaws on HFboards just exposed your timeline as completely off from what you're trying to pass off..

Elliot Friedman (Toronto area sports reporter) "reported" this rumor after the contract was signed.

Keep trying though, you old sock.
i'm surprised so many people bought this rumor since it came out well after AM signed and only after reports of GM's being pissed at Dubas over giving AM deal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Zero % chance the Coyotes were going to offer Matthews 13.5Mx5stop it Dubas fanboys.

The very max they'd do is 11ish on a 8 year deal if they somehow managed to convince him to go home, which itself was unlikely as he realized they didn't have many good players and the leafs could match that offersheet with him signing it killing his reputation on the team and in the fanbase.

Do all dubas super fans live in such a absurd fantasy?

Matthews got the worse superstar RFA contract ever.

He wasn't worth 11M x 8 when he signed. Next year when he goes back to being a fringe top 10 player he won't be worth the deal either.

If he wanted his dumb number on the deal it should've should've 10.34 x 8

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Of course offer sheets are an exclusive threat only to the Leafs...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think Toronto is going to be the perceived favorite destination of UFA's anymore..

Dubas has already given out all the life-changing pay days possible, no room for anymore.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Elliott breaking the Yotes rumor over a month after AM signed isn't a comment or opinion it's fact .

and you can believe anything you want but just a word of advice , i wouldn't get too attached to Dubas since if he doesn't pull a rabbit out of his butt this summer and actually improve the team he'll be long gone by this time next year

We can agree to disagree on if the offer sheet for 34 was real or not.

I am in favor of firing Dubas if he doesn't get improvement and better results this season. Its a results business, I believe both him and Keefe have one season left before MLSE has enough and they get fired .

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We can agree to disagree on if the offer sheet for 34 was real or not.

I am in favor of firing Dubas if he doesn't get improvement and better results this season. Its a results business, I believe both him and Keefe have one season left before MLSE has enough and they get fired .

It'd be good if you got your facts and timelines in order first, before trying to make grandiose claims about the team and management.

Pro-tip.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Of course offer sheets are an exclusive threat only to the Leafs...

Yup only exclusive to Toronto. How about when MTL offer sheeted Aho and he signed it? Going forward with the flat cap, I could see more offer sheets being thrown around if there's a good RFA and a team with cap issues.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
It'd be good if you got your facts in order first, before making grandiose claims about the team and management.

Pro-tip.

I provided a article from a respected insider who has gotten NHL news right before and is creditable who said Arizona was going to offer sheet him, and someone replies back with "seems to me one of company men floated this rumor to try to defend Dubas since there were many reports of GM's pissed at him for handing AM such a ridiculous cap hit for that term"

And I am the one who needs to get his facts in order.. Yikes, you might have had one to many tonight.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad