OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I didn't know someone wrote a book off of his screen play. I'll look it up and give it a read.

That could be fun.

If you are a fan of the movie. Definitely recommend reading the Heat 2 book.

Well done and does a good job of bringing you back into the world.

Really made me wish they had written it soon enough, say late 90’s, that the original cast could be in the movie.

It’s going to be impossible to duplicate the vibe and expertise they had at the time. One of the top movies of all time from a casting perspective, from the stars through the secondary and side characters.

Mann is a genius who doesn’t get the credit he deserves.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm supposed to take my Professional Engineering exam towards the end of the month. Back in March is when I started studying. But studying has been interrupted numerous times by work (long work hours, high stress, lots of travel) & personal things (mostly wedding planning).

At this point I've completed all of the study sessions I've signed up for but now I don't recall most of the topics from before June... And now I'm just burnt out on studying. I cannot find any motivation to re-study but at the same time I absolutely want to pass.

So frustrating.

Nice, hope things go well for you. I was also a mechanical undergrad but I'm going for my PE in nuclear, just because it's more applicable to what I've been doing for most of my career.

When did you take the FE? My dad recommended I take the FE while still in undergrad and it greatly paid off, I know people who try to take the FE a good 3-4 years out of undergrad and it's a ton of preparation for it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012

Really made me wish they had written it soon enough, say late 90’s, that the original cast could be in the movie.

It’s going to be impossible to duplicate the vibe and expertise they had at the time. One of the top movies of all time from a casting perspective, from the stars through the secondary and side characters.

I didn't know it existed. So I'll definitely get a copy and read it.

Mann definitely is a GOAT. Although that Ferrari movie and Blackhat were moist ass. To cast someone that isn't even f***ing Italian as Enzo Ferrari is a crime, as was that accent.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I didn't know someone wrote a book off of his screen play. I'll look it up and give it a read.

That could be fun.
I think he was maybe struggling to get funding for the movie so did the book as a proof of concept? Or even he had doubts that it should be made so did the book to test it's reception for himself.

Either way the book seems to be well recieved, so I'm actually hopeful for the movie.

Civil Construction. But I went to school for Mechanical. It's like learning a whole new expertise.

Definitely had a breakdown these last few days. o_O
I remember my brother studying for his PE test and it seemed awful. Best of luck to you.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

I didn't know it existed. So I'll definitely get a copy and read it.

Mann definitely is a GOAT. Although that Ferrari movie and Blackhat were moist ass. To cast someone that isn't even f***ing Italian as Enzo Ferrari is a crime, as was that accent.
I might grab the book too. I had forgotten about it until this thread.

Mann makes some great stuff but he definitely has misses. But most do. He's more consistent than someone like Ridlwy Scott at least; that dude makes two complete duds for every good movie he makes, but occasionally makes another straight up all-time classic to balance it all out :laugh:

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Civil Construction. But I went to school for Mechanical. It's like learning a whole new expertise.

Definitely had a breakdown these last few days. o_O
The older ya get the more likely. Way too much stress put on everyone today. No real ways to build yourself back up spiritually (unless I'm missing something). Just a hollowed out husk of society... LEMMINGS! That is what it reminds me of.
giphy.gif

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Nice, hope things go well for you. I was also a mechanical undergrad but I'm going for my PE in nuclear, just because it's more applicable to what I've been doing for most of my career.

When did you take the FE? My dad recommended I take the FE while still in undergrad and it greatly paid off, I know people who try to take the FE a good 3-4 years out of undergrad and it's a ton of preparation for it.

Damn ..went to school for civil, passed the FE while in school bit never chased the PE router. Been with a large contractor for almost 20 years now.

I remember my brother studying for his PE test and it seemed awful. Best of luck to you.

I took the Mechanical FE while still in college and passed. But this was 13 years ago...

The online course I signed up for was about 175 hours of lessons and then a f***ton of practice problems. Like I said, I'm not recalling much before June so I'm going through that all now.

What caused my panic was the section on welding and bolting which is actually fairly easy. But I had no recollection of it so I guess I just figured I was f***ed.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I took the Mechanical FE while still in college and passed. But this was 13 years ago...

The online course I signed up for was about 175 hours of lessons and then a f***ton of practice problems. Like I said, I'm not recalling much before June so I'm going through that all now.

What caused my panic was the section on welding and bolting which is actually fairly easy. But I had no recollection of it so I guess I just figured I was f***ed.
That's a lot of hours of lessons.

I've considered doing some sort of masters etc a few times and it just sounds so terrible to do school stuff again that I've just not done it.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pops is back home. Latest CT scan just before he was leaving hospital showed no cancer growth since the first CT scan when he went to the hospital a few weeks ago. First day back home we went to his brothers and saw my cousins and had a nice get together. Wont know about chemo until we see the cancer clinic. He wants to do 6 small meals a day, anyone got some ideas for food for him to try that's easy to make? Still getting used to his ostomy bag, and giving him sitz baths until his rectal bleeding stops and the wounds heal. I do like fruits, yogurt, PB and J sammiches, tuna, juice boxes. Trying to do what the hospital did plus other meals he may like.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pops is back home. Latest CT scan just before he was leaving hospital showed no cancer growth since the first CT scan when he went to the hospital a few weeks ago. First day back home we went to his brothers and saw my cousins and had a nice get together. Wont know about chemo until we see the cancer clinic. He wants to do 6 small meals a day, anyone got some ideas for food for him to try that's easy to make? Still getting used to his ostomy bag, and giving him sitz baths until his rectal bleeding stops and the wounds heal. I do like fruits, yogurt, PB and J sammiches, tuna, juice boxes. Trying to do what the hospital did plus other meals he may like.

That’s great news about no growth.

Doctors probably don’t give much nutrition advice but there should be dieticians at the hospital. I saw one at Royal Jubilee who was quite good.

I’d imagine fruits, vegetables, whole grains, moderate amount of lean protein and if dairy then low fat. Try to avoid heavily processed or high fat foods. That’s a guess on my part to be easier on the digestive system.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
That’s great news about no growth.

Doctors probably don’t give much nutrition advice but there should be dieticians at the hospital. I saw one at Royal Jubilee who was quite good.

I’d imagine fruits, vegetables, whole grains, moderate amount of lean protein and if dairy then low fat. Try to avoid heavily processed or high fat foods. That’s a guess on my part to be easier on the digestive system.
He liked cooked carrots and rice. I should make a bunch of rice and let him have some of it. I was thinking of giving him some rotissery chicken? I can easily buy them down the street from me. I dunno about royal Jubilee though, most of the nurses seemed clueless, the surgeons seem to have their heads up their asses ego wise, and the dietician was always screwing up every order or subtracting things. Also every surgeon we saw said something different...same picture too.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
My suggestions for food are pretty simple - ask doctors and stick with stuff that's easy to digest.

The first part seems obvious, but it's worthwhile to press. I was making myself sicker for most of my life by having a diet geared for my Crohn's Disease, but most of it was counteracted by my other autoimmune disorder making a nutritionist rather necessary. I doubt the doctor will have a ton of suggestions beyond surface-level, but it's worth asking if seeing a nutritionist is worth it or not. It took far too long for my insurance to allow me to see one, meanwhile doing so would have surely saved money just by knowing that I can't digest 99.9% of vegetables...

As for the easy-to-digest stuff...you have to think with this stuff. For instance I'm allowed sourdough and white bread and that's it for bread. Anything healthier would rip up my intestines. White bread is so processed that it's actually good for those of us with sensitive intestines, so long as celiac isn't a problem. Seeds are a complete no-go, which took all of my favorite fruits off the menu...but it leaves the majority of melons if he likes those. Nuts can be very difficult. Much of my nutrition comes from stuff like almond butter and avocados. Avocados are golden in situations like this. Eggs as well. Fried foods bad, etc., etc. A lot of it just requires a bit of thought. If a food is going to retain a hard edge through digestion (like a chewed peanut would) it'll be a problem. If a food is smooth or soft it'll be easier (hence nut butters being a daily necessity for me, while the almonds its made of are off the table...also why I can cheat with walnuts on occasion while peanuts need to be blended). Fried food is extremely bad for it, etc. etc.

He liked cooked carrots and rice. I should make a bunch of rice and let him have some of it. I was thinking of giving him some rotissery chicken? I can easily buy them down the street from me. I dunno about royal Jubilee though, most of the nurses seemed clueless, the surgeons seem to have their heads up their asses ego wise, and the dietician was always screwing up every order or subtracting things. Also every surgeon we saw said something different...same picture too.

Gastroenterologists and surgeons can be a nightmare. It's weird how different fields within medicine attract such different personalities, but I've had one gastroenterologist with any sort of bedside manner and I've had to see them for 80% of my life now. It was no better as a child at Children's Hospital. Oddly unhelpful with dietary stuff, too. Obviously there's exceptions, but yeah...it can be tough. I'm still looking for a new gastroenterologist after my last one changed insurances two years ago. Lots of one and done appointments with doctors who seem to be mad at me for having a junk gene...meanwhile I've loved the majority of my rheumatologists.

Cooked carrots are great! Raw carrots are awful. Unfortunately for me I like raw carrots infinitely more than cooked ones, but cooked ones become mushy and are one of the easiest vegetables to digest. Rice is great as well, so long as you're using white rice. Like bread, the amount of processing will make it easier to digest...wild rice is off the board for me, while white rice is the ideal starch. Chicken (and most poultry) is the easiest type of meat to digest and accounts for probably 95% of the meat I consume anymore. Red meat should be limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: LOGiK and 66-30-33

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
My suggestions for food are pretty simple -
Eat fruit and vegetables that are 'in season'.
Try not to eat anything with preservatives (average american human, I'd guess, consists of 25% sawdust, sand, and propylene glycol, et al) because of their love for preservatives... That is disgusting.

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Cancer is everywhere I guess. Now my pops friend that was helping me out with this from BC Transit found out he's got cancer. Easily the worst year of my life.

• Wow
Reactions: LOGiK

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I eat microplastics.
At this point we've all got microplastic in our blood.

Everyone does. It's a huge issue that I don't think gets enough press.
At various stages we've been poisoned by many things. Styrofoam, chemicals leaching from materials into our food, etc.

I've always stated humanity should be blown up by Aliens and started from scratch.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

At various stages we've been poisoned by many things. Styrofoam, chemicals leaching from materials into our food, etc.

I've always stated humanity should be blown up by Aliens and started from scratch.
We don't need aliens, we'll handle it ourselves soon enough.

Cancer is everywhere I guess. Now my pops friend that was helping me out with this from BC Transit found out he's got cancer. Easily the worst year of my life.
Ugh, that sucks. Cancer can get f***ed.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Well Covid almost wiped us out. God had a plan but we humans ruined it lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad