OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah he's in pain. Can't eat, can't sleep and in pain. Has a small chance at survival tomorrow during surgery, so i'll be seeing him before work and then the next day WHEN he survives it.

Doctors sometimes give the most pessimistic outcomes so families don’t get their hopes up.

🤞

Reactions: 66-30-33

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Doctors sometimes give the most pessimistic outcomes so families don’t get their hopes up.

🤞
My aunt died 2 months ago too. I wasn't close but death and misery like to stalk me. You guys should know by all the crap I have posted in this thread over the years (breakins, accidents, etc).

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I really wish at least they could add a sad reaction. I get the angry or other one being not good but when you can't reply to a comment and just want to show support, at least that can convey that for us. It feels weird "liking" a comment about a mate here speaking about his father having cancer.

Just a personal gripe.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
@Zirakzigil - mate, I know you're close to the fires in Alberta and I hope you're ok. The no reply to pm has me a little worried about you and the Doggo.

Also on a side note - we went camping and my wife had one job, empty the massive cooler and she didn't. So for a week this cooler marinated with an open dairy container, opened yogurt, opened sausage, and other shit and she remembered yesterday to finally fish out the trash and throw it out. I was left dumping the vile juice and I pressure washed the shit out of this thing and now I can't smell anything else but that juice. I've taken 2 showers, went deep with the nose hair trimmers, even shampooed the hell out of my beard. I've since put the cooler on the curb with a sign for anyone that wants it - it's a Massive Yeti 250 hard cooler one so I'm sure it'll be gone in the next 5mins.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
@Zirakzigil - mate, I know you're close to the fires in Alberta and I hope you're ok. The no reply to pm has me a little worried about you and the Doggo.

Also on a side note - we went camping and my wife had one job, empty the massive cooler and she didn't. So for a week this cooler marinated with an open dairy container, opened yogurt, opened sausage, and other shit and she remembered yesterday to finally fish out the trash and throw it out. I was left dumping the vile juice and I pressure washed the shit out of this thing and now I can't smell anything else but that juice. I've taken 2 showers, went deep with the nose hair trimmers, even shampooed the hell out of my beard. I've since put the cooler on the curb with a sign for anyone that wants it - it's a Massive Yeti 250 hard cooler one so I'm sure it'll be gone in the next 5mins.

1721862419964.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I was watching the Deadpool movies again before the new one comes out and my goodness these are not rewatchable movies at all. It was an epic drag to get through both movies. By the end of the first one I really knew I f***ed up in wanting to do this and actually want to see the third one a lot less.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I was watching the Deadpool movies again before the new one comes out and my goodness these are not rewatchable movies at all. It was an epic drag to get through both movies. By the end of the first one I really knew I f***ed up in wanting to do this and actually want to see the third one a lot less.

When the 1st one came out I really liked it (my wife did too) bc it was different and edgy. Then watching it again seemed like a chore so I totally get this reaction.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
When the 1st one came out I really liked it (my wife did too) bc it was different and edgy. Then watching it again seemed like a chore so I totally get this reaction.
That's exactly how my wife and I felt. First one was funny, but then it was just Ryan Reynolds being Ryan Reynolds being over the top Ryan Reynolds. It was exhausting trying to watch that and still be engaged in the movie, excessive prison wallet jokes in the 2nd one, it was funny the first time but then by the 10th time it was like ok they aimed for Rated R but this is G rated idiocy. At some point, I just felt like Dumb & Dumber was more high brow comedy than this. We cancelled and refunded our tickets for Deadpool & Wolverine, figured we'll wait until its streaming at this point so we can stop watching it if it gets annoying and still be at home.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I think Reynolds gets so horned out being Deadpool that he sort of forgets the spirit of the character altogether. He will beat a joke to death, to the point of just continuously beating it until theres nothing left. Then you are sitting there like ok this has to be the end of this shtick right? No, another 40mins of it, f***er. To the point that even other characters become parodies of themselves, it turns the entire movie into a massive parody of just those characters. The joke about Deadpool was he was the dipshit clown merc with the mouth, the others were trying to do their job and he'd just be the idiot that won't shut up. But when everyone else starts participating in the same vein, it loses its entire appeal.

Now, Wolverine being serious and annoyed with Deadpool would be funny, but my goodness, to sit through the potential of it being like the other 2 just drains me.

It's like Thor: Love & Thunder levels of annoying without the R rating.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really enjoyed both Deadpool's the first time but they rely on a lot of shock value humor that doesn't hold up on rewatch. I'll watch the third and probably enjoy it but I don't expect it to be different in that regard.

TJ Millers character in particular does not hold up. It's just random for the sake of it. It's all pure surface level humor.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I really enjoyed both Deadpool's the first time but they rely on a lot of shock value humor that doesn't hold up on rewatch. I'll watch the third and probably enjoy it but I don't expect it to be different in that regard. I actually never even tried rewatching two after I did with 1.

TJ Millers character in particular does not hold up. It's just random for the sake of it. It's all pure surface level humor.
TJ Miller keeps going around trying to be relevant shit talking Reynolds. That bloke blew up his own career with, no pun intended, fake bomb threats against a woman on a train and is a deranged weirdo and he keeps going around trying to make you think RR is the weirdo. Like we get it, Reynolds is an epic try hard, but at least he didn't make up a bomb threat and is a genuine twat like Miller.

Miller's jokes and scenes are cringey. Dopinder's character being weird and the fake accent isn't charming and Cable turning into a stoic sarcastic wanker was sad to see. These are all things you really notice on rewatches though, first time around it's a fun-ish thrill ride, but then you rewatch it and you're like ok yeah this is kind of lame. I think watching the new one will be like that too - fun and entertaining at first, but rewatches won't be in it's near or distant future.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think Reynolds gets so horned out being Deadpool that he sort of forgets the spirit of the character altogether. He will beat a joke to death, to the point of just continuously beating it until theres nothing left. Then you are sitting there like ok this has to be the end of this shtick right? No, another 40mins of it, f***er. To the point that even other characters become parodies of themselves, it turns the entire movie into a massive parody of just those characters. The joke about Deadpool was he was the dipshit clown merc with the mouth, the others were trying to do their job and he'd just be the idiot that won't shut up. But when everyone else starts participating in the same vein, it loses its entire appeal.

Now, Wolverine being serious and annoyed with Deadpool would be funny, but my goodness, to sit through the potential of it being like the other 2 just drains me.

It's like Thor: Love & Thunder levels of annoying without the R rating.
I agree love and thunder did a lot of that too. Man the bones of that movie are solid too. But it tries to be funny almost the whole time and just fail at it. I love Ragnarok and think it largely holds up aside from a handful of whiffs, but they really messed up the balance completely in L&T.

The black and white segment is great. It's also the only part the movie seems to take seriously for any length of time. I'm wondering how Waititi is moving forward because I love his earlier stuff. Some people just get too into their own shit though.

TJ Miller keeps going around trying to be relevant shit talking Reynolds. That bloke blew up his own career with, no pun intended, fake bomb threats against a woman on a train and is a deranged weirdo and he keeps going around trying to make you think RR is the weirdo. Like we get it, Reynolds is an epic try hard, but at least he didn't make up a bomb threat and is a genuine twat like Miller.

Miller's jokes and scenes are cringey. Dopinder's character being weird and the fake accent isn't charming and Cable turning into a stoic sarcastic wanker was sad to see. These are all things you really notice on rewatches though, first time around it's a fun-ish thrill ride, but then you rewatch it and you're like ok yeah this is kind of lame. I think watching the new one will be like that too - fun and entertaining at first, but rewatches won't be in it's near or distant future.
Yeah I don't think Reynolds tends to make very good stuff but he does seem to be a decent guy. His best work imo is Welcome to Wrexham.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

From 1:25:30 for about 5-6 mins.

I agree love and thunder did a lot of that too. Man the bones of that movie are solid too. But it tries to be funny almost the whole time and just fail at it. I love Ragnarok and think it largely holds up aside from a handful of whiffs, but they really messed up the balance completely in L&T.

The black and white segment is great. It's also the only part the movie seems to take seriously for any length of time. I'm wondering how Waititi is moving forward because I love his earlier stuff. Some people just get too into their own shit though.

Yeah I don't think Reynolds tends to make very good stuff but he does seem to be a decent guy. His best work imo is Welcome to Wrexham.
Ragnarok was great, it still had the seriousness of the previous Thor but with some fun, but the Love & Thunder movie went hard into the Taika style and it was awful. I personally don't find Reynolds all that funny or interesting, I don't dislike him, I find that Reynolds plays Reynolds the same way Dwayne Johnson basically plays Dwayne Johnson.

I think Taika 100% bought into his own hype and lost the plot entirely. Hemsworth himself wants to go back to a better balance for playing Thor, that's how bad it was lol. But I see Taika's other work and he has good ideas but then he gets so into his own shtick that he kind of just forgets the theme of his entire movie or show, it gets goofy and it goes off the rails a lot. I don't like that he is still attached to Akira at all, it bothers me on a personal level lol.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Miller: "I wouldn't work with him again"
Universe: "<chuckle> yeah, that's not really up to you"

Fitting that this is on Carolla's show. He's also a major douche-canoe.

edit: Yeah, I'm sure Ryan Reynolds is jealous of TJ ... just f***ing out of his mind.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Miller: "I wouldn't work with him again"
Universe: "<chuckle> yeah, that's not really up to you"

Fitting that this is on Carolla's show. He's also a major douche-canoe.
Haha yeah, Corolla is a twat and Miller is one of those "it's everyone else's fault not mine" types.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

From 1:25:30 for about 5-6 mins.

Ragnarok was great, it still had the seriousness of the previous Thor but with some fun, but the Love & Thunder movie went hard into the Taika style and it was awful. I personally don't find Reynolds all that funny or interesting, I don't dislike him, I find that Reynolds plays Reynolds the same way Dwayne Johnson basically plays Dwayne Johnson.

I think Taika 100% bought into his own hype and lost the plot entirely. Hemsworth himself wants to go back to a better balance for playing Thor, that's how bad it was lol. But I see Taika's other work and he has good ideas but then he gets so into his own shtick that he kind of just forgets the theme of his entire movie or show, it gets goofy and it goes off the rails a lot. I don't like that he is still attached to Akira at all, it bothers me on a personal level lol.

Hopefully he figures it out. I really loved what we do in the shadows and hunt for the wilderpeople.

Also I would like one more Thor to redeem him but I'd also be fine with Hemsworth just moving on. I loved him in Furiosa. Curious to see what he can do moving forward, especially if he can do well in more "serious" grounded roles.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
Hopefully he figures it out. I really loved what we do in the shadows and hunt for the wilderpeople.

Also I would like one more Thor to redeem him but I'd also be fine with Hemsworth just moving on. I loved him in Furiosa. Curious to see what he can do moving forward, especially if he can do well in more "serious" grounded roles.
I think he will come back to Thor if the script is good, otherwise I can see him just popping up in Avengers movies here and there. I agree, Hunt for the Wilderpeople was good and Shadows to me was hit or miss but I can see why a lot like it. But then seeing his other stuff, I think he leans too hard into the goofy shit and it hasn’t gotten better, just more consistent with the goofy shit.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Rectal cancer and abcess of pus, very small chance to live.
Apparently the surgeon that told him this might have misdiagnosed him. He came in all angry like and said THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS for you, you have rectal cancer and you will most likely not survive the surgery, why did you wait so long? he said. He was about to go in for the surgery, and the last 5 minutes a female surgeon with 20 years experience walks in, looked at the info and says WAIT! you guys should not be operating there, so they change it to putting 2 tubes in his butt and drains the fluids, it drained so fast and can't find a cancer yet. Doesn't need surgery anymore, his white blood cell count is improving quickly and he's not pooping anymore and he's eating and sleeping now. So fingers crossed no cancer...he's 1 lucky person. That surgery would have destroyed his life. He got me to buy 3 big fruit baskets, and 3 big boxes of tim hortons donuts and giving 1 of each to ER, the nurses and especially the surgeons, especially that 1 female one. He wants to change his life now.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Apparently the surgeon that told him this might have misdiagnosed him. He came in all angry like and said THIS IS NOT GOOD NEWS for you, you have rectal cancer and you will most likely not survive the surgery, why did you wait so long? he said. He was about to go in for the surgery, and the last 5 minutes a female surgeon with 20 years experience walks in, looked at the info and says WAIT! you guys should not be operating there, so they change it to putting 2 tubes in his butt and drains the fluids, it drained so fast and can't find a cancer yet. Doesn't need surgery anymore, his white blood cell count is improving quickly and he's not pooping anymore and he's eating and sleeping now. So fingers crossed no cancer...he's 1 lucky person. That surgery would have destroyed his life. He got me to buy 3 big fruit baskets, and 3 big boxes of tim hortons donuts and giving 1 of each to ER, the nurses and especially the surgeons, especially that 1 female one. He wants to change his life now.

Great news mate.

Thank f*** the other surgeon was there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad