OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Or Ogrezilla and LOGiK's Nerd Thread ;)

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Looked more like you ranting for paragraphs about a kids movie.
Weird to keep calling it a kids movie considering the vast many adults here that are fans of the franchise, including myself. Doesn't mean I need to like everything they put out, but you being an ignorant twat is quite on brand.

oh yeah they were brutal. I think I used to play them with cheats. I definitely did with RotJ.
They were quite hard from what I remember as well, it's when EA took over that the games went straight downhill.

I don't know how many more years EA has those rights, but the games had so much potential and they looked good only to be the worst playable games with the EA versions.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I am still not over Firefly getting only one season.

At least we got the movie.

Weird to keep calling it a kids movie considering the vast many adults here that are fans of the franchise, including myself. Doesn't mean I need to like everything they put out, but you being an ignorant twat is quite on brand.

I just don't get it. If you told me when I was 7 or 8 we'd have a bunch of Star Wars movies and TV shows, I'd be estatic regardless of the quality.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
With Star Wars, there's no doubt that there's a bunch of weirdos out there posting dozens of Youtube videos complaining about the movies and shows constantly without having much to really even say. There's nothing wrong with critiquing bad media though. I'd certainly watch a thoughtful Lindsay Ellis video where she explained her issues with some of the recent Star Wars projects, but I don't think I could make it through even 30 seconds of something as lazy and uninspired as say a Critical Drinker video.

As far as the "they're just kids movies" defense? I don't really buy that. It's not like adults didn't like the older Star Wars films and even some of the newer things. Not to mention the plethora of media out there that is even more child/family oriented than Star Wars that managed to be appreciated by people of any age. The Iron Giant, Shrek, Spirited Away, Finding Nemo - parents took their kids to see movies like these and were entertained themselves. There's no reason that media aimed at kids can't be great, and I think it's more than fair to expect Disney with all their resources to be able to pull it off.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
With Star Wars, there's no doubt that there's a bunch of weirdos out there posting dozens of Youtube videos complaining about the movies and shows constantly without having much to really even say. There's nothing wrong with critiquing bad media though. I'd certainly watch a thoughtful Lindsay Ellis video where she explained her issues with some of the recent Star Wars projects, but I don't think I could make it through even 30 seconds of something as lazy and uninspired as say a Critical Drinker video.

As far as the "they're just kids movies" defense? I don't really buy that. It's not like adults didn't like the older Star Wars films and even some of the newer things. Not to mention the plethora of media out there that is even more child/family oriented than Star Wars that managed to be appreciated by people of any age. The Iron Giant, Shrek, Spirited Away, Finding Nemo - parents took their kids to see movies like these and were entertained themselves. There's no reason that media aimed at kids can't be great, and I think it's more than fair to expect Disney with all their resources to be able to pull it off.

I have never heard any other fan base get mad about "fire" on a spaceship.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

"What's your name?"
"Finn"
"No last name? Who are your people?"
"I have no people"
"Hmm ... Finn Solo"

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I have never heard any other fan base get mad about "fire" on a spaceship.

I had to look this one up since I hadn't even heard of this criticism. It sounds more like something that people would playfully point out if the rest of the show was fantastic. But since the show...isn't great...it's just more fuel for those who disliked it. I agree that of all the issues with the show, something as minor as that doesn't even seem worthy of a mention, and even then the Star Wars universe is the kind of place where you wouldn't expect scientific accuracy anyways - it's fine.

I'll certainly say it's a bit strange that those who hate the show are still watching. I love having bad movie nights with my friends, but The Acolyte doesn't fit into the "so bad it's good" category, it's too boring. So I don't know what people are getting out of the experience. There are some people out there who have a larger, stupider point against the show and Disney itself and have a need for the show to fail.

But I don't think it's that hard to separate the legitimate criticism from the more insidious kind.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
1721167581840.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
it ended last year I believe, so lets see what we start getting.
Honestly anything would be better. I'd love an open world game with a story. Like GTA/Red dead style.

Create your own character - be a Sith or Jedi. Have it change based on things you do like in fallout.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I had to look this one up since I hadn't even heard of this criticism. It sounds more like something that people would playfully point out if the rest of the show was fantastic. But since the show...isn't great...it's just more fuel for those who disliked it. I agree that of all the issues with the show, something as minor as that doesn't even seem worthy of a mention, and even then the Star Wars universe is the kind of place where you wouldn't expect scientific accuracy anyways - it's fine.

I'll certainly say it's a bit strange that those who hate the show are still watching. I love having bad movie nights with my friends, but The Acolyte doesn't fit into the "so bad it's good" category, it's too boring. So I don't know what people are getting out of the experience. There are some people out there who have a larger, stupider point against the show and Disney itself and have a need for the show to fail.

But I don't think it's that hard to separate the legitimate criticism from the more insidious kind.
I thought the dumbest shit was when you heard "noises" of a ship in space.

There is no sound in space. Other space shows have done it and done it well. Yet you need this thundering presence for a f***ing ship in space? Same for fires on a space ship. We've seen shows handle it so well that NASA looked at it and was like yup, that's plausible and realistic. We live in that world now. Midichlorians and whack ass shit like that is imagination but the rules of space are the rules of f***ing space if you want to play in that sandbox. Imo.

Nolan is an incredible film maker because he does his research if he's playing in a world he wants to create in. Interstellar was so immense with its visuals that even Nasa scientists were sporting massive wood.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I recall Firefly using music when the ships shot off, like a guitar twang type of deal. Expanse didn't use sound for when the ships flew off from a space view.

Yes. When I watch Star Wars, I get really mad that the ships make noise in space.

This is just a rational "discussion".
Noises to the rest are cannon, dipshit, if SW did it in other movies it's fine. It's a gripe for other space movies and shows.

But please, show me more of your angst against me and what I say and then pretend it's about something else so you can bitch about what I've said.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Honestly anything would be better. I'd love an open world game with a story. Like GTA/Red dead style.

Create your own character - be a Sith or Jedi. Have it change based on things you do like in fallout.
There's very few genres that you couldn't turn into a good Star Wars game honestly, it's a disaster how few really good ones there are.

I thought the dumbest shit was when you heard "noises" of a ship in space.

There is no sound in space. Other space shows have done it and done it well. Yet you need this thundering presence for a f***ing ship in space? Same for fires on a space ship. We've seen shows handle it so well that NASA looked at it and was like yup, that's plausible and realistic. We live in that world now. Midichlorians and whack ass shit like that is imagination but the rules of space are the rules of f***ing space if you want to play in that sandbox. Imo.

Nolan is an incredible film maker because he does his research if he's playing in a world he wants to create in. Interstellar was so immense with its visuals that even Nasa scientists were sporting massive wood.
Star Wars has ignored the rules of space as long as it's existed though. The X-Wings literally bank like they're in air and everything makes sound. Everything functions as if they're flying on a planet, including all of the ships always showing up with the same orientation.

It just isn't that kind of series. It's not even really sci fi, it's popcorn fantasy that happens to be in space.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Watched a series on Netflix I missed over the last decade — Travelers…highly recommend even though it is Canadian lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7
    Staked: $30,494.00