OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm on Chapter 16 of VC4 and good god it's such a good game. I'm so glad I picked this back up. It's not an overly "difficult" game outside of a few specific boss fights, but it's a very fun game with a really enjoyable cast and story.

I wanted to buy the DLC for VC4, and I saw on the Nintendo Store that it was $25 for 5 DLCs. What was it on Steam? You could get the base game, all of the DLC and the original Valkyria Chronicles for $14. Needless to say, I now have it on Steam in addition to Switch :laugh:
aaaaand now so do I

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I keep holding out on Disco Elysium too despite the crazy good reviews and so many people telling me I'd dig it. Something about it just seems like it would bore me. I'll probably get around to it someday, though.

Meanwhile I'm a giant naval sim nerd so I finally bought War On The Sea. The dev did Atlantic Fleet and Cold Waters prior to this so I've been wanting to try it. Some foibles but super good.

Cyberpunk is next up now that it's been fixed. I played it for a bit on my buddy's PS5 and was very impressed.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Most insane random question of all time but if anyone has some knowledge or even where to start - it'd be greatly appreciated.

My wife does a podcast/YouTube show on Relational Wealth (basically how to build relationships, meet people, be comfortable developing friendships). I want to reach out to some places to do some ad drops or get the info out. Anyone have experience in this world that could point me in the right direction?

I just feel building relationships is something that isn't really out there as much as it is and I want to throw it a little push and see if it gets there. But this is NOT my area of expertise. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Cyberpunk is next up now that it's been fixed. I played it for a bit on my buddy's PS5 and was very impressed.
that's one I also want to get to. Let's see what my "want to get to soon" list looks like just off the top of my head. This is ignoring most of my "older" backlog like The Witcher 3, both Dragon Age sequels, and a million other games :cry:

Mario and Rabbids 2 (playing now)
Bravely Default 2
Zelda Link's Awakening remaster
Cyberpunk 2049
Dishonored 2
Deathloop
Valkyria Chronicles 1 and maybe replay 4
Chained Echos
Ruined King
Persona 4
Hollow Knight

These as well, but at least I haven't already bought these ones :laugh:
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Fire Emblem Engage
Spiderman
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Tiny Tina's Wonderland
Midnight Suns

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Oh man you have some killer stuff to look forward to!

I was surprised how much I loved the FF7 remake. Bravely Default 2 is also terrific. Hooray for the Jobs system!

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
also I'd like to do different playthrough styles / parties / New Game + in Dishonored 1, Triangle Strategy, Divinity Original Sin 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, etc, etc, etc

And Baldur's Gate 3 is supposed to fully release this year, which will certainly consume me. And boy would I like to replay BG1 and 2 before then :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually liked Dishonored 2 as much as the first.

I keep trying to get into D:OS2 but I need to be in the mood to sit down and devote like three months of my life to that kind of game and I somewhat recently replayed ALL the Baldur's Gate games haha

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I actually liked Dishonored 2 as much as the first.

I keep trying to get into D:OS2 but I need to be in the mood to sit down and devote like three months of my life to that kind of game and I somewhat recently replayed ALL the Baldur's Gate games haha
yeah Divinity 2 didn't click for me immediately. Then I started a coop game with some friends online and I got hooked. Went back and played the hell out of my single player campaign after (during) that. Between the two campaigns it was something like 60% of my steam time played last year, all in about 3 months. And the co-op one we barely got into act 2 and sort of fizzled. But I definitely needed to get into some simpler, easier to pick up and put down type games after.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
yeah Divinity 2 didn't click for me immediately. Then I started a coop game with some friends online and I got hooked. Went back and played the hell out of my single player campaign after that. Between the two campaigns it was something like 60% of my steam time played last year. But I definitely needed to get into some simpler, easier to pick up and put down type games after.

That's really encouraging because I've heard so many terrific things about it and the first two aborted attempts to start a game kinda had me wondering.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's really encouraging because I've heard so many terrific things about it and the first two aborted attempts to start a game kinda had me wondering.
it's not a super intuitive skill / level up system. Playing with someone who understood it already really helped. It's my favorite game I've played in a long time, but the system for learning new abilities is pretty trash. You pretty much have to invest a character in thieving or bartering to make enough money to buy them all through act 1 and 2.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
it's not a super intuitive skill / level up system. Playing with someone who understood it already really helped. It's my favorite game I've played in a long time, but the system for learning new abilities is pretty trash. You pretty much have to invest a character in thieving or bartering to make enough money to buy them all through act 1 and 2.

Yeahhhhhhhhh I might try to save that one to play with my brother since he's a big fan.

Besides I have Guadalcanal to take, still.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And that's just skills. The class levels are also not incredibly intuitive. Like, don't think of them as classes, just stat bumps and skill gates. My party each had like 5 different classes. And the ones I would use to identify what types of skills they use were often not nearly their top leveled class.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
And that's just skills. The class levels are also not incredibly intuitive. Like, don't think of them as classes, just stat bumps and skill gates. My party each had like 5 different classes. And the ones I would use to identify what types of skills they use were often not nearly their top leveled class.

Yeah I have to admit that whole aspect of the game really put me off. But only because I suppose I'm so set in my ways on how an RPG (especially of that type) "should work."

Reactions: HandshakeLine

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Most insane random question of all time but if anyone has some knowledge or even where to start - it'd be greatly appreciated.

My wife does a podcast/YouTube show on Relational Wealth (basically how to build relationships, meet people, be comfortable developing friendships). I want to reach out to some places to do some ad drops or get the info out. Anyone have experience in this world that could point me in the right direction?

I just feel building relationships is something that isn't really out there as much as it is and I want to throw it a little push and see if it gets there. But this is NOT my area of expertise. :laugh:
Dunno, but the best way to do any sort of marketing IMO, is targeted ads. There's a lot of digital media companies in the Pittsburgh area who could probably help out, ask around get quotes and have a budget of what yinz are willing to spend. That's how any social media influencer does it anyway, most of them have really deep pockets before they go into that stuff though.

I can't tell you what it would cost because the markets are really different, but small agencies would totally take on her as a client.

yeah Divinity 2 didn't click for me immediately. Then I started a coop game with some friends online and I got hooked. Went back and played the hell out of my single player campaign after (during) that. Between the two campaigns it was something like 60% of my steam time played last year, all in about 3 months. And the co-op one we barely got into act 2 and sort of fizzled. But I definitely needed to get into some simpler, easier to pick up and put down type games after.
I keep enjoying the hell out of the intro and first chapter and then I stall out and don't get any farther, put it away for a few months, and then I actually start all over again because I forgot what I was supposed to do.

@BlindWillyMcHurt , if you dug any of the new BG3 stuff, it's the same team, FYI.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

this guy just wanted to say "my wife". I'm on to you.

If she needs help optimizing any manufacturing processes let me know :nod: :laugh:

I keep enjoying the hell out of the intro and first chapter and then I stall out and don't get any farther, put it away for a few months, and then I actually start all over again because I forgot what I was supposed to do.

@BlindWillyMcHurt , if you dug any of the new BG3 stuff, it's the same team, FYI.
Same thing happened with the co-op game. Chapter 2 is daunting. It's like 40% of the game and is way more open ended.

And it is absolutely a game I couldn't take a break from. I would definitely end up starting over if I did.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I like how we're all too polite to call Cole on his Borat impersonation.

Bodes well for BG3, then. Despite some of my hang-ups and confusion over how the game is laid out it's obviously extremely quality and a ton of time, effort and love was put into it.
Yeah, once you get the hang of how combat works, it is awesome. Fane is my favorite.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Oh! Nice.

Bodes well for BG3, then. Despite some of my hang-ups and confusion over how the game is laid out it's obviously extremely quality and a ton of time, effort and love was put into it.
I believe BG3 is laid out very D&D like, so more structured class system. For better and worse, it is legit D&D licensed.

Yeah, once you get the hang of how combat works, it is awesome. Fane is my favorite.
Fane is great. I loved Lohse too. Honestly I would recommend not even using a custom character, just play with 4 of the characters that exist. You can fully customize them anyway aside from 1 skill each (and most are better than the generic version), and they all add some extra content that a generic character doesn't.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I believe BG3 is laid out very D&D like, so more structured class system. For better and worse, it is legit D&D licensed.

It'll be more my natural wheelhouse, then. But I hate being inflexible. I'll definitely take the time to give D:OS2 a fair shot.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

I loved Lohse too. Honestly I would recommend not even using a custom character, just play with 4 of the characters that exist. You can fully customize them anyway aside from 1 skill, and they all add some extra content that a generic character doesn't.
Yeah, that was the mistake I made the first time and I got into the poison marshes and was like "huh, this is really well written, I guess I shouldn't be Generic Elf no. 6". :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, that was the mistake I made the first time and I got into the poison marshes and was like "huh, this is really well written, I guess I shouldn't be Generic Elf no. 6". :laugh:
I beat the game as generic elf number 8. And yeah, that meant the main character was just less interesting than the others.

That reminds me. Man are elves not what you expect elves to be in that game :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad