OT: HFPens Community Lounge: Its been 84 years... But now Karlsson is here

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I was stabbed in the back SO HARD today, i've never been so angry in my life. I've never hated anyone, ever until today...rather then mope around I am going to show everyone I am not a clown and make something of myself. I'll never forgive and I will never forget such betrayal.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I was stabbed in the back SO HARD today, i've never been so angry in my life. I've never hated anyone, ever until today...rather then mope around I am going to show everyone I am not a clown and make something of myself. I'll never forgive and I will never forget such betrayal.

I was pissed Mike Sullivan played Heinen over Nylander too.

Reactions: 66-30-33

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Sorry man. Unfortunate dealings of life :(

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
New Mando I think was a step up from ep 1 although a plot thread may have already been abandoned. I'm going to wait and see if it resurfaces. Dark as hell though, in terms of light level not in terms of tone. Hard to see some of the action.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
New Mando I think was a step up from ep 1 although a plot thread may have already been abandoned. I'm going to wait and see if it resurfaces. Dark as hell though, in terms of light level not in terms of tone. Hard to see some of the action.

I hate that they're so formulaic. The last of Us makes Mando look like a CW dipshit show. TLOU has been quality episode each f***ing week. Not some filler bullshit with 15% substance and 85% filler.

It's like Disney gets why they're losing subscribers but are patting themselves for this show except for the fact that it's not the huge draw it once was when shows like Last of Us airs and does it right even with source material to borrow from scene for scene. The changes have been insanely well planned out.

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
I haven't really said much on this because I know it's a hot topic in here but I think that's why Andor was so polarizing as a SW franchise. Mando is a STAR WARS show. Is it formulaic? Sure, mostly. But it has what I think people look for in a Star Wars medium, themes of family, acceptance, redemption, easily identifiable good and evil. I always disagree with people who say it's sci-fi. It's not. It's fantasy, just done in space.

Andor was drama. It was the least 'Star Wars' Star Wars ever made. People loved it for that, more power to them. I loved it because it was suspenseful and well-written and amazingly acted. Some of the best true capital-A ACTING! performances SW has ever seen. But I'll never get the people who say Andor was the greatest SW entertainment ever because it wasn't weighed down by "magical space monks" or "Laser Swords LOL". Those people don't want to watch Star Wars, go try Law and Order or something.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
I haven't really said much on this because I know it's a hot topic in here (looking at you @Better Call Maul) but I think that's why Andor was so polarizing as a SW franchise. Mando is a STAR WARS show. Is it formulaic? Sure, mostly. But it has what I think people look for in a Star Wars medium, themes of family, acceptance, redemption, easily identifiable good and evil. I always disagree with people who say it's sci-fi. It's not. It's fantasy, just done in space.

Andor was drama. It was the least 'Star Wars' Star Wars ever made. People loved it for that, more power to them. I loved it because it was suspenseful and well-written and amazingly acted. Some of the best true capital-A ACTING! performances SW has ever seen. But I'll never get the people who say Andor was the greatest SW entertainment ever because it wasn't weighed down by "magical space monks" or "Laser Swords LOL". Those people don't want to watch Star Wars, go try Law and Order or something.
My problem with the shows are that they have no original ideas and are trying to stretch any element they can out of the skywalker era as it were, in the lore. Every single one of these new star wars shows we've seen so far are still heavily connected to the Skywalker saga. Some directly even featuring Luke himself. The fact that they can't evolve past it to grow a new future is annoying. All of these so far are a closed loop because they fill a time line that has a conclusion, so the time frame will run into something eventually.

Last of us, as an example, also has those themes of family, redemption, etc. But it doesn't waste the time it has with you watching, to wait for the good part because the entire episode is one big good part. Where in Mando you can basically half pay attention until the final 10mins. Or hell you can ignore the first 70% of the season and then watch and you'd basically miss nothing for the story.

There is a rich lore that Lucas wanted to explore and instead of doing that and making new original stories they keep doing retreads of old properties with some attempt at being fresh and new.

Like the Ahsoka show is one I really hope for being a show where they have a fresh start to do better especially after how bad Book of Fett Aka how the Mando was more interesting than the title lead. I wanted to like Andor but it just felt like they were wanting to make something that didn't need to be made or a story that needed to be told.

Rogue One is the lone quality stand out in anything Star Wars related live action in the last 20yrs. Show or movie. We know his fate. I don't know why anyone needed to know more about Andor to be honest. Obi Wan show was probably as bad as Fett, maybe the worst overall based on the potential it had. The fact that they won't let that die is frustrating.

They could have done a few quick mini series to wrap up or explore some things while the long waits. Which is a huge problem with streamers and original shows. But I have been wanting them to find a way to explore Star Wars for the future. Rather than keep visiting the past and trying to fill in gaps and making a mess.

Reactions: Deport Ogie

Deport Ogie

Jun 30, 2014
Suburbia
My problem with the shows are that they have no original ideas and are trying to stretch any element they can out of the skywalker era as it were, in the lore. Every single one of these new star wars shows we've seen so far are still heavily connected to the Skywalker saga. Some directly even featuring Luke himself. The fact that they can't evolve past it to grow a new future is annoying. All of these so far are a closed loop because they fill a time line that has a conclusion, so the time frame will run into something eventually.

Fair, I would also like to see more digging into the humungous freaking galaxy they have created, George's sandbox as they keep calling it. Some of the upcoming shows (Skeleton Crew) may do that better but the joke about not ALWAYS needing to show Tatooine is true.

Last of us, as an example, also has those themes of family, redemption, etc. But it doesn't waste the time it has with you watching, to wait for the good part because the entire episode is one big good part. Where in Mando you can basically half pay attention until the final 10mins. Or hell you can ignore the first 70% of the season and then watch and you'd basically miss nothing for the story.

This bit I'd disagree with. There are good things throughout each episode and season and yes, some of it is fan service or references to other media and I can certainly get why that'd be tiring. I always think of Favreau and Filoni as huge nerdy kids who treat these properties like they just dumped out their action figures and started playing/inventing the way kids do.

Like the Ahsoka show is one I really hope for being a show where they have a fresh start to do better especially after how bad Book of Fett Aka how the Mando was more interesting than the title lead. I wanted to like Andor but it just felt like they were wanting to make something that didn't need to be made or a story that needed to be told.

Ahsoka is going to 100% ride the Rebels plot. It's going to be Ahsoka and Sabine searching for Ezra and/or Thrawn so while there's definitely some room for improv in there the major arc of the show I still think is going to be referential. I would just like to see some new planets or species or ideas within that framework.

We know Ahsoka is Filoni's baby. He is going to hold tightly to her story the whole ride.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate that they're so formulaic. The last of Us makes Mando look like a CW dipshit show. TLOU has been quality episode each f***ing week. Not some filler bullshit with 15% substance and 85% filler.

It's like Disney gets why they're losing subscribers but are patting themselves for this show except for the fact that it's not the huge draw it once was when shows like Last of Us airs and does it right even with source material to borrow from scene for scene. The changes have been insanely well planned out.
I actually don't mind Mando being so episodic. It's a different kind of show, but it makes it easier to watch it more casually. But it certainly does cap the overall high end quality. Haven't seen the new ones yet though, or bobf.

TLoU is incredible though.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I haven't really said much on this because I know it's a hot topic in here but I think that's why Andor was so polarizing as a SW franchise. Mando is a STAR WARS show. Is it formulaic? Sure, mostly. But it has what I think people look for in a Star Wars medium, themes of family, acceptance, redemption, easily identifiable good and evil. I always disagree with people who say it's sci-fi. It's not. It's fantasy, just done in space.

Yeah Andor was whatever.

Didn’t really feel like Star Wars to me.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

This is part of what I was getting it with Mando vs TLoU. It's just a completely different type of show. There's room for both. I don't want every show to be as dramatic as TLoU.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
This is part of what I was getting it with Mando vs TLoU. It's just a completely different type of show. There's room for both. I don't want every show to be as dramatic as TLoU.
It's not to make it like Last of Us in any way other than putting the thought and quality into each episode like they do. I think Mando has always had that potential but it barely scrapes the surface of it and that's where my disdain lies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It's not to make it like Last of Us in any way other than putting the thought and quality into each episode like they do. I think Mando has always had that potential but it barely scrapes the surface of it and that's where my disdain lies.
I certainly think it could be better than it is, but I don't have any issue with a lot of it being "filler". Especially for an action show, filler can be fun.

Just watched Boogie Nights for the first time in a long time. What a great movie.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012
So I got a Bambu Lab x-1 carbon combo and bought a used Kobra Go off of marketplace using my wife’s page, fixed some hot end issues and recalibrated the entire Kobra go and it prints like a charm. Messing about with PetG, TPU, and Carbon Fiber filaments with that one.

The Bambu Lab prints beautifully. It’s fantastic. And yet all my wife has me doing is printing these f***ing files for her mates:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I feel a little better...basically a friend dropped my ass cold that I have known a LONG time and have always supported their decisions and hell even their relationship but jealous posessive chodes be jealous possessive chodes.

No not that girl I used to talk about I gave a loan to, she dropped me a long time ago because her ex came back into the picture and forced her to end every single male friendships like the chode he is. I don't miss her anymore.

Similar story but some other female.

I give up, I don't need anyone except myself. Being nice is a bunch of horse shit. Just need to learn how to fight, I don't care anymore.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I feel a little better...basically a friend dropped my ass cold that I have known a LONG time and have always supported their decisions and hell even their relationship but jealous posessive chodes be jealous possessive chodes.

No not that girl I used to talk about I gave a loan to, she dropped me a long time ago because her ex came back into the picture and forced her to end every single male friendships like the chode he is. I don't miss her anymore.

I give up, I don't need anyone except myself. Being nice is a bunch of horse shit. Just need to learn how to fight, I don't care anymore.
Sorry to hear.

People are the worst. Thats why I got my doggo.

Honour Over Glory

Jan 30, 2012

And so our lad @66-30-33 begins his origin story as a villain.

Welcome to the dark side.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
And so our lad @66-30-33 begins his origin story as a villain.

Welcome to the dark side.
giphy.gif

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Has anyone else just started getting this message on HF Boards?

It looks like you're using an adblocker.​

Help us keep the content you love flowing. Please whitelist us!
Disable my adblockerContinue without disabling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad