Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
May I ask what Tom Barrasso, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist and Mike Vernon did to earn the HOF induction that Bob has failed to do?
Lundqvist literally carried the Rangers for most of his career. I hate the Rangers but the guy deserves to be in the HHOF.
Have people forgotten that it’s the hockey HOF. It isn’t the NHL HOF. So anything a player does in hockey competition outside of the NHL counts twords if a player is eligible or not.

Reactions: 1989 and Voight

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Ehh. Mike Vernon is a bit of a stretch.

Also, Beezer should be in but the PC police will probably come for the HHOF if they induct him.

Maybe he is, but he went to four finals as a starter and won two of them including a Conn Smythe trophy with the Wings.

That + 385 wins… do people really think it’s that easy?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe he is, but he went to four finals as a starter and won two of them including a Conn Smythe trophy with the Wings.

That + 385 wins… do people really think it’s that easy?

The thing with Vernon is while yes, he did have a lot of playoff success and was money in 97, he was nominated for the Vezina once in his career. (Barrasso in comparison was nominated five times with a voting record of 1,2,2,2,3).

Tho a lot of that has to do with the selection committee historically being very conservative when it comes to picking goalies. Between 1990 and 2020 only seven goalies were inducted, with four of them being top 15 goalies of all time (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour).

FWIW I think Vernons a better pick than somebody like Kevin Lowe.

Reactions: gary69

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
He was a lock before this season.

Now it's just how high does he rank all-time, I think he passes Belfour after this year.

Tho a lot of that has to do with the selection committee historically being very conservative when it comes to picking goalies. Between 1990 and 2020 only seven goalies were inducted, with four of them being top 15 goalies of all time (Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Belfour).

I think Bob has passed Belfour.

Reactions: Randyne

Roksta

Jul 27, 2011
Man I remember his first season in Florida when he looked done as a #1

and now he's in the SCF playing like Dominik Hasek...

Reactions: bh53

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
He will be hoisting a cup possibly as early as tomorrow and may be a conn smythe winner on top of his vezina wins.

He's a lock for the hall.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Man I remember his first season in Florida when he looked done as a #1

and now he's in the SCF playing like Dominik Hasek...
His defence has a lot to say in that. He ended up in a very fortunate situation someone like Carey Price and many others couldn’t have dreamed of at that money.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
His defence has a lot to say in that. He ended up in a very fortunate situation someone like Carey Price and many others couldn’t have dreamed of at that money.
His situation in Columbus wasn’t really ideal and that’s where most of his prime was.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If he wins 1 of the next 4 games I say yes.

2 Vezina trophies, and I think he's nominated this year too.

1 Stanley cup

and potentially playoff MVP.

If he doesn't melt down he's in.

He was a lock before this season.

Now it's just how high does he rank all-time, I think he passes Belfour after this year.

I think Bob has passed Belfour.

No he wasn't the cup makes him him a lock.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Bobrovsky is perfectly consistent.

Even in his off years, his save percentage doesn’t go below .900.

Most of the time it’s north of .910.

That’s consistency.
Actually no you are kinda proving my point.

when he dialed in and wins the Vezna he has a .931 and .932 save %

Those 2 years were good for 1st and second.

He also has a 9th place finish .923 and this years .915 was good for 7th.

Heck the SC this year and possible Smythe and even if he doesn't win it helps his case but still it's a 50/50 proposition.

All star finishes are like this

1,1,5,7,9 and 11

He has the wins second overall since he has been in the league but is tied for 21st in save % over the same time period.

Also his overall playoff resume isn't all that great either and pretty crappy before the last 2 seasons.

$10M/season for two straight finals appearances is, in fact, something all other teams would play for.

The Panthers skaters believe they’re a Stanley Cup team when Bob is in net.

Tell them they’re wrong.
Funny that you overlooking the first 3 seasons BOB was the Panthers goalie eh?

Getting Tkachuk and Reinhart can do that to an already decent team.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I wouldn't say he was bad for his first three seasons here.

Bob was legitimately bad for his first two seasons in Florida. You can argue that the team didn't play strong defense in front of him, and that's true and fair. However, consider that Chris Driedger and Spencer Knight both took the net from him and were playing behind the same group of skaters.

And then, under the same defensive system behind mostly the same skaters, he just turned it back on late in the 2021-22 season and was good in the playoffs. He's been pretty consistently great since then.

He's had three consecutive excellent playoff runs. I think sometimes guys just get into a funk and have to work themselves out of it. It just sucks when those guys are being paid 1/8th of your team's total salary cap figure.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018
a lot of arguments/conversations nowadays revolve around contracts. Value vs contract.

I wish we would get away from this when it comes to rating someone. It has nothing to do with how good they are. I get that it irks fans of the team when someone is overpaid, or that it makes them love a player when he is a steal, but it has no bearing on all time rating, or shouldnt.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't say he was bad for his first three seasons here.

Bob was legitimately bad for his first two seasons in Florida. You can argue that the team didn't play strong defense in front of him, and that's true and fair. However, consider that Chris Driedger and Spencer Knight both took the net from him and were playing behind the same group of skaters.

And then, under the same defensive system behind mostly the same skaters, he just turned it back on late in the 2021-22 season and was good in the playoffs. He's been pretty consistently great since then.

He's had three consecutive excellent playoff runs. I think sometimes guys just get into a funk and have to work themselves out of it. It just sucks when those guys are being paid 1/8th of your team's total salary cap figure.
He just let the contract get to him, despite Tallon telling him to not let it. He recovered after a couple years. He was actually great for most of 21-22, he started the season terrifically. I think he was the best or 2nd best goalie in October. I forget if him or Campbell held the mantle in all the fancy goalie stats. He was great, but Q/Bruno's system just wasn't kind to the goalies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Lundqvist literally carried the Rangers for most of his career. I hate the Rangers but the guy deserves to be in the HHOF.
Have people forgotten that it’s the hockey HOF. It isn’t the NHL HOF. So anything a player does in hockey competition outside of the NHL counts twords if a player is eligible or not.
lol no he didn’t. The rangers were a decent team most of lundqvists career and downright good for some of it. This narrative is so exaggerated.

I’m old enough to remember lundqvist getting pulled in the ECF.

Cam Talbot put up elite numbers in ‘14-‘15 but yeah lundqvist was dragging that 113 point team to the playoffs. Or his rookie season with a 123 point campaign from Jagr. What a joke.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
I remember some Russia fans arguing with me on here at the time of the 2014 Olympics that Bobrovsky (who already had 1 Vezina at that time) was rightfully the backup behind Varlamov for Russia.

How wrong they were.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad