Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Yeah, 10mil for .908 playoffs goaltending is something all other teams would absolutely die for.

$10M/season for two straight finals appearances is, in fact, something all other teams would play for.

The Panthers skaters believe they’re a Stanley Cup team when Bob is in net.

Tell them they’re wrong.

Reactions: Trow and Cape

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Not perfectly consistent. Bobrovsky's GSAA was in the negative in four seasons. That's quite a bit.

A .900 save percentage is pretty bad, even in today's era. So that's not saying much.

Nothing against Bob, he's a good goalie. But some of the arguments being made here are horrible. Even if he wins a cup this year he's at best borderine based on precedent.

GSAAx is a made up stat. All the expected stats are. Things either happened or they didn’t.

.900 is a baseline level of competence at the NHL level - over .910 is a good season, and over .920 is a great one.

A goalie with a save percentage over .900 will generally not cause a team to doubt themselves.

A goalie with a few low-9s years surrounded by nine years of .913 or better with 400 wins, 2 vezinas and two finals is a Hall of Famer.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
GSAAx is a made up stat. All the expected stats are. Things either happened or they didn’t.

There's nothing "expected" about it. It's goals saved above average, it's literally context driven based on real results.

The stat tells you how a goaltender compares to the league average goalie and by this sensible measure Bobrovsky has been below average in at least four seasons.

.900 is a baseline level of competence at the NHL level - over .910 is a good season, and over .920 is a great one.

A goalie with a save percentage over .900 will generally not cause a team to doubt themselves.

A goalie with a few low-9s years surrounded by nine years of .913 or better with 400 wins, 2 vezinas and two finals is a Hall of Famer.

Really? Regardless of the era? Regardless of scoring levels? A .900 save percentage is a measure of competence today, 20 years ago, 40 years ago? Billy Smith must really suck as a goalie.

UED

May 2, 2021
There's nothing "expected" about it. It's goals saved above average, it's literally context driven based on real results.

The stat tells you how a goaltender compares to the league average goalie and by this sensible measure Bobrovsky has been below average in at least four seasons.
GSAA is just SV% but in a different language... it's a team stat like every single goalie stat.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
He is a clutch goaltender. One of the reason Florida is currently so successful.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He's probably already in, but if he plays one more season (and thus hitting 400 career wins and moving likely into 10th or 11th all-time in wins) he's a virtual lock.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Three more performances like game 1 will probably be enough to get him the Conn Smythe along with a Cup. Add his Vezinas and the fact that he probably has 3 more good years left puts him pretty much in.

Reactions: bh53

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
$10M/season for two straight finals appearances is, in fact, something all other teams would play for.

The Panthers skaters believe they’re a Stanley Cup team when Bob is in net.

Tell them they’re wrong.

I think that the run Price had pretty much made his contract worth it and he didn’t come close to completing his contract. Let alone Bob.

Reactions: HarrySPlinkett

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Enters the conversation?

I gather you are steadfast against the recent goalie HOF inductees.
Nothing like that, I just feel that such an honor should be held on a high level.

It is supposed to be the best of the best. If Bob wins the Cup and the Conn, most folks will have to acknowledge that he should at least be considered for it. Right now, he's a bonafide starting goaltender with some hardware. He needs abit more than that before we can really have that conversation in my mind.

I feel that he's the kind of player you want in the HHOF, but they all, netminders, whoever, should have to earn it and the bar should be higher than some of what we've seen recently.

The Colonel

Jul 7, 2008
Nothing like that, I just feel that such an honor should be held on a high level.

It is supposed to be the best of the best. If Bob wins the Cup and the Conn, most folks will have to acknowledge that he should at least be considered for it. Right now, he's a bonafide starting goaltender with some hardware. He needs abit more than that before we can really have that conversation in my mind.

I feel that he's the kind of player you want in the HHOF, but they all, netminders, whoever, should have to earn it and the bar should be higher than some of what we've seen recently.

May I ask what Tom Barrasso, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist and Mike Vernon did to earn the HOF induction that Bob has failed to do?

Reactions: Randyne

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
You see my point. Good.

Tom Barasso has two Stanley Cups.

A Calder trophy.

A Vezina.

A Jennings.

369 wins.

And you don’t think that’s a hall of fame career?

I also don’t understand this extreme standard goalies are held to when it is clearly not the same for skaters.

It’s a hall of fame.

It’s for your most famous players.

Of which Barrasso, Vernon (2 rings, four finals as a starter), Luongo, and Lundqvist all, at different times, most certainly were.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Don't know. All I know is that contract ending up being totally worth it. All these teams with talent but no stability at goalie can learn something from that. Sometimes you do have to overpay for a goalie, it is what it is.

That contract has had no business being worth a damn and yet here we are… you, me, and most of the hockey world missed on that one.

Reactions: CaptainScrewy

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary

My brother, he has 400 wins and two Vezinas. He’s one of the best to ever to do it, and he’s going to the hall of fame.

Roberto Luongo, who you don’t consider a Hall of Famer, has over 1000 GP, 489 wins, a 2.52 career GAA and a .919 career save percentage.

Every goalie who’s been admitted recently deserves to be in, and the only reason they haven’t been is because the Hall of Fame has, deliberately or not, undervalued the contributions of goaltenders.

If Marian Hossa is a Hall of Famer (and he is) so is Tom Barrasso.

So is Chris Osgood.

Dave Andreychuk, Mark Recchi, Paul Kariya, are all in.

So why isn’t Curtis Joseph?

Kevin Lowe is in. As a player.

Kevin fricking Lowe.

A 0.34 PPG defenseman who spent all but two years of his career playing with one or both of Gretzky and Messier, and who still somehow doesn’t have 100 career goals.

It’s a Hall of Guys We All Remember.

Always has been.

It’s just now, they remembered goalies matter too.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Kevin fricking Lowe.

A 0.34 PPG defenseman who spent all but two years of his career playing with one or both of Gretzky and Messier, and who still somehow doesn’t have 100 career goals.
From what I've heard, nobody has successfully lobbied for their own HHOF induction quite like Kevin Lowe. Solid player who came up at the right place at the right time with a bunch of surefire Hall of Famers and collected a bunch of Cup rings, so there he is.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
My brother, he has 400 wins and two Vezinas. He’s one of the best to ever to do it, and he’s going to the hall of fame.

Roberto Luongo, who you don’t consider a Hall of Famer, has over 1000 GP, 489 wins, a 2.52 career GAA and a .919 career save percentage.

Every goalie who’s been admitted recently deserves to be in, and the only reason they haven’t been is because the Hall of Fame has, deliberately or not, undervalued the contributions of goaltenders.

If Marian Hossa is a Hall of Famer (and he is) so is Tom Barrasso.

So is Chris Osgood.

Dave Andreychuk, Mark Recchi, Paul Kariya, are all in.

So why isn’t Curtis Joseph?

Kevin fricking Lowe.

It’s a Hall of Guys We All Remember.

Always has been.

It’s just now, they remembered goalies matter too.

Ehh. Mike Vernon is a bit of a stretch.

Also, Beezer should be in but the PC police will probably come for the HHOF if they induct him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad