Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I personally think he quit on the team in game 7 OT his last year as a Sabre…

It’s a fact though that when demanding a trade he called our GM and threatened to reject a deal if the Sabres got to good of a package in return. That is NOT someone who I think should be honored by the franchise
I was just a kid when Hasek left Buffalo and have no familiarity with the situation so thank you for that clarification.

However, a fan of a different team it does *appear* to me that he did more good than bad for that franchise, having managed to drag a pretty unimpressive roster within spitting distance of a Cup. Not sure how other Sabres fans feel about the situation though.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
I was just a kid when Hasek left Buffalo and have no familiarity with the situation so thank you for that clarification.

However, a fan of a different team it does *appear* to me that he did more good than bad for that franchise, having managed to drag a pretty unimpressive roster within spitting distance of a Cup. Not sure how other Sabres fans feel about the situation though.
I’m pretty sure I’m the only one…I’d be fine with him in the Sabres HOF, but his number retired is a step to far for me

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Price in 2015. It was one year and probably the best regular season by a goalie since Hasek.

Bobrovsky isn’t anywhere near the Hasek tier, neither is Price.

Yeah, people need to understand. It’s not just that Hasek had a great year for a goalie… he had the greatest sustained run of dominance of any goalie in NHL history.

The man has six Vezinas. That’s dumber than Gretzky being the all time leading scorer even with 0 goals.

From 1994-2008 he has:

-5 (!!!!!) seasons with save percentage over .930.
-7 straight seasons above .920 - playing for the SABRES.
-save percentage of .913 or better 11/13 years
-One (!) season under .900. His final year at age 41.
-2 Harts.
-2 Cups

You know how they say goalies are witches?

Hasek was Gandalf. Go back to the shadow, you shall not pass.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Maybe not from you, but some people foam at the mouth when it's brought up about MAF going into the Hall.

One can discredit each of his achievements individually with nit-picks, but when you look at the entire body of work I'm not sure how anyone can say he's not a 1st ballot lock.
Critical anyaslsis is now nitpicking?

I mean it would be nice that if a question was asked that people consider it critcially to see if it stands up right?
It seems almost disingenuous to put Rinne's and especially Kiprusoff's careers over Fleury.
Maybe career wise but both were better goalies in their peaks and primes.

It's like saying Dave Andreychuk was a better player than say Goulet.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Critical anyaslsis is now nitpicking?

I mean it would be nice that if a question was asked that people consider it critcially to see if it stands up right?

Maybe career wise but both were better goalies in their peaks and primes.

It's like saying Dave Andreychuk was a better player than say Goulet.
My point is that there are certain individual measures that you can isolate to criticize, but it’s important to look at the entire body of work.

HOF discussions should look at a players entire career, not just their peak, or specific categories.

The point wasn’t about peaks or primes, it was about their entire careers, I specifically denoted that I was discussing their entire careers in my comment.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
My point is that there are certain individual measures that you can isolate to criticize, but it’s important to look at the entire body of work.
Sure that's fair and that's what I try to do when evaluating players as well.

I'll add the caveat that goalies are very hard for me to rank as they are often team dependent and in this case MAF wasn't tracking to be a HHOF guy then viola Vegas happens.
HOF discussions should look at a players entire career, not just their peak, or specific categories.

Agree
The point wasn’t about peaks or primes, it was about their entire careers, I specifically denoted that I was discussing their entire careers in my comment.
Agree as well but I looked back and saw the post and the one you were responding to and he had fair points and you did mention that some of your comments weren't directed at him.

But looking at his whole career was there ever any prolonged period of time, say over 2 or more years that MAF was considered a top 5 goalie in the world?

For me that's a huge problem considering the other goalies of the era.

At first blush MAF looks like one of those goalies that sure you probably consider top 10ish year in year out over a period of say maybe 10 years but around 10 other guys in that time period have way better 2+year peaks and they stand out more.

I think consistency matters as well and that's also a problem wit BOB's resume here in this thread.

Just my 2 thoughts but like I said goalies aren't me strong point.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Sure that's fair and that's what I try to do when evaluating players as well.

I'll add the caveat that goalies are very hard for me to rank as they are often team dependent and in this case MAF wasn't tracking to be a HHOF guy then viola Vegas happens.

Agree

Agree as well but I looked back and saw the post and the one you were responding to and he had fair points and you did mention that some of your comments weren't directed at him.

But looking at his whole career was there ever any prolonged period of time, say over 2 or more years that MAF was considered a top 5 goalie in the world?

For me that's a huge problem considering the other goalies of the era.

At first blush MAF looks like one of those goalies that sure you probably consider top 10ish year in year out over a period of say maybe 10 years but around 10 other guys in that time period have way better 2+year peaks and they stand out more.

I think consistency matters as well and that's also a problem wit BOB's resume here in this thread.

Just my 2 thoughts but like I said goalies aren't me strong point.

Bobrovsky is perfectly consistent.

Even in his off years, his save percentage doesn’t go below .900.

Most of the time it’s north of .910.

That’s consistency.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Maybe not from you, but some people foam at the mouth when it's brought up about MAF going into the Hall.

One can discredit each of his achievements individually with nit-picks, but when you look at the entire body of work I'm not sure how anyone can say he's not a 1st ballot lock.

It seems almost disingenuous to put Rinne's and especially Kiprusoff's careers over Fleury.

Its not disingenuous at all, both had better careers ...

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't know. All I know is that contract ending up being totally worth it. All these teams with talent but no stability at goalie can learn something from that. Sometimes you do have to overpay for a goalie, it is what it is.
This. Just another example of everyone being too premature and making sweeping declarations that age poorly.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Don't know. All I know is that contract ending up being totally worth it. All these teams with talent but no stability at goalie can learn something from that. Sometimes you do have to overpay for a goalie, it is what it is.
Yeah, 10mil for .908 playoffs goaltending is something all other teams would absolutely die for.

Reactions: KeydGV21

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Its not disingenuous at all, both had better careers ...
Check through my other comments in the thread if you want my reasoning.

Fleury’s entire body of work dwarfs Kiprusoff’s especially, I detail it in the exchange following what you quoted.

One could argue at their peak Kipper was a better plauer, but their overall career resumes aren’t even particularly close, it’s Fleury by a country mile.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, people need to understand. It’s not just that Hasek had a great year for a goalie… he had the greatest sustained run of dominance of any goalie in NHL history.

The man has six Vezinas. That’s dumber than Gretzky being the all time leading scorer even with 0 goals.

From 1994-2008 he has:

-5 (!!!!!) seasons with save percentage over .930.
-7 straight seasons above .920 - playing for the SABRES.
-save percentage of .913 or better 11/13 years
-One (!) season under .900. His final year at age 41.
-2 Harts.
-2 Cups

You know how they say goalies are witches?

Hasek was Gandalf. Go back to the shadow, you shall not pass.

Who are you even arguing with?

Bobrovsky is perfectly consistent.

Even in his off years, his save percentage doesn’t go below .900.

Most of the time it’s north of .910.

That’s consistency.

Not perfectly consistent. Bobrovsky's GSAA was in the negative in four seasons. That's quite a bit.

A .900 save percentage is pretty bad, even in today's era. So that's not saying much.

Nothing against Bob, he's a good goalie. But some of the arguments being made here are horrible. Even if he wins a cup this year he's at best borderine based on precedent.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Every team would absolutely pay and fans would kill for a goalie that if they knew in the first 6 years of contract they'd be in the Stanley cup twice (with chance to win 1) with that goalie as the starter.
Wow. So it's only the goalie? The rest of the team doesn't matter? Incredible.

So I assume that what you're saying is that if San Jose Sharks traded for Bobrovsky and maintained the rest of their squad, they'd make the stanley cup finals next year?

Whoa, it really is that easy!

Or, maybe you should stop pretending that the goalie is the only player on the team. How about that?

CaptainScrewy

Apr 9, 2003
Hollywood , Florida
Visit site

So I assume that what you're saying is that if San Jose Sharks traded for Bobrovsky and maintained the rest of their squad, they'd make the stanley cup finals next year?

Or, maybe you should stop pretending that the goalie is the only player on the team. How about that?

Literally not what I said. At all. Go back and reread what we discussed at least 3 times and then I will continue this conversation if you wish. Good luck to you.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Maybe you should stop pretending Goaltenders aren't paid for Wins.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Easily. First ballot. Dude is a lot like belfour. He is also better than lundqvist.

1717386614969.jpeg

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad