Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The operative word here should be "and". If it can be seen as Torres "targeting the head" I'm gonna barf. The official release refers to "Illegal Check to the Head". This is all they should be looking at.

Thanks for posting the rule. Based on the rule, if Wilson is arguing and makes his case that the head was not targeted, then:

1.) TMac was right, it shouldn't have been a penalty; and

2.) There should be no suspension, since no rule was violated.

Key word being "should."

crunchyblack*

We really need to steal a game in LA... I just don't know how it's going to be possible if we are down another body though. We are cursed.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
Late on this topic, but impressed DW went with Torres. Shows DW thinks the whole thing is utter BS.

AnderFunk

Sep 17, 2010
Regina, SK
Some people seem pretty sure Torres hit Stoll in the head. I just don't see it. It looks to me like Torres hits his shoulder and the impact causes Stoll's head to snap back. The funny thing is that I want to see it, because I was one of the people who thought acquiring Torres was a mistake. But I can't see it and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
So even if he does not get suspended, is it even possible he'd make it back to LA in time for tonight's game? Seems like a stretch.

AnderFunk

Sep 17, 2010
Regina, SK
Maybe the NHL does have an angle we don't that clearly shows he did hit Stoll's head, and if that is the case I am of the opinion that you can't suspend Raffi long enough.

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
NYC to Burbank in 5 1/2 hours, then a 20-30 min drive dependent on traffic. If they leave by 12 our time...possible. Going into LAX at that time would be a mess.

Pray they have a private plane, and this is doable.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
NYC to Burbank in 5 1/2 hours, then a 20-30 min drive dependent on traffic. If they leave by 12 our time...possible. Going into LAX at that time would be a mess.

Pray they have a private plane, and this is doable.

DW has his own plane. "The Ottawa Express"

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Thanks for posting the rule. Based on the rule, if Wilson is arguing and makes his case that the head was not targeted, then:

1.) TMac was right, it shouldn't have been a penalty; and

2.) There should be no suspension, since no rule was violated.

Key word being "should."

Sort of. The review is based on the rule. The call was charging. Even if I disagree with the call on the ice, they are two separate infractions.

I could be wrong, but I thought they could review for suspension a play that isn't even a called penalty during the game.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
I'd agree with those. I always forget Richards/Booth. That was a cheap shot.

Richards is easy for me. Enough ref reviews where I saw him miss with flying elbows (no penalties). Irony is that his buddy Carter had a headshot that was completely inadvertant and Carter was called. Carter is not an active hitter at all.

sharkie88

Dec 30, 2006
As much as I'd like to believe Torres could still get off the hook, it's just not going to happen. The NHL isn't going to have him fly across the country on game day if there is even the slightest possibility he could get off with no suspension.

My belief is that, if we're lucky, he gets six games (including tonight). That means there is no way he plays the rest of this series (if it goes that far). At this point, that's what I'm hoping for...

In reality, because of his history, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they suspend him for the rest of the playoffs. It would be complete bullsh*t but I would not be surprised.

sjshrky27

Jan 15, 2007
CA
The guys on XM said this morning that if it was anyone besides Torres this would have not even been an issue...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
he is suspended that is a given, its either 1 game or basically what will feel like a life time ban.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
The more I think about it the more I think this is not going to be good. His reputation is going bite him big time. Marty better get healthy quick.

yotesreign

Jan 26, 2009
Goldwater Blvd
The guys on XM said this morning that if it was anyone besides Torres this would have not even been an issue...

I believe that. It sucks. From the one angle I saw, I say no suspension, and I'm not even a Sharks fan.

If he gets any suspension at all, it's strictly because they have it out for him, based on his past. IMO, he initially got too big a suspension last year in the playoffs, which was later reduced. They seem more keen on sending messages to some folks than in actually addressing the issues. Which I guess, is their perogative, but I don't have to like it.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Did opinions suddenly change overnight? I was under the assumption that most people thought the hit was a good hockey play (or at the very least, worse hits have already been ignored even in this series) and that there were a few pundits who just saw the name Torres and are assuming the worst. Yet now I see some Kings fans saying it is unanimously a suspendable hit?

I've also heard some say that the meeting means the league thinks it's a dirty hit and it's just a matter of how long Torres is out, but I thought DW requested the meeting himself and that the results are still up in the air.

The hit didn't even look bad live or on the replay. Torres got a charging penalty when he was already well within range of the play without taking any strides. Stoll puts himself in a vulnerable position and moves at the last second. Torres had his elbows down and didn't jump into the play or aim high. I just don't see how this is a suspendable hit except as a reputation offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad