Hearing for Torres on Stoll hit (Thurs 9am PT, NYC; w/DW); out for rest of WCSF

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RainbowDash

20% Cooler
Jan 25, 2010
Equestria
Did opinions suddenly change overnight? I was under the assumption that most people thought the hit was a good hockey play (or at the very least, worse hits have already been ignored even in this series) and that there were a few pundits who just saw the name Torres and are assuming the worst. Yet now I see some Kings fans saying it is unanimously a suspendable hit?

I've also heard some say that the meeting means the league thinks it's a dirty hit and it's just a matter of how long Torres is out, but I thought DW requested the meeting himself and that the results are still up in the air.

Well, I wouldn't say people's opinions changed overnight.
Everyone starting seeing the reverse angle (you know, the angle where you can't even see if he hit the shoulder first) and some people began to ignorantly change their minds.

DW didn't request the in person meeting. The NHL did. DW is going there for support.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I hope its not a ton of games. would like to get him back at some point.

but im hoping the injustice gets these guys fired up.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
If he gets another big suspension I would think it would make re-signing him a much tougher decision.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I'm guessing he'll be suspended for 15 games. Shouldn't even be a hearing for this, but because it's Torres they'll throw the book at him.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
If he gets another big suspension I would think it would make re-signing him a much tougher decision.

Yeah I would agree on that. Hard to sign a guy knowing he is being watched so closely by the league and will get suspended for anything suspect.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
If he gets anything except 0 or 21+ the league is a sham. Either he trargeted the head or he didn't. If he targeted the head, based on precedent and the rules he needs to get more than he did the last time.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
If he gets anything except 0 or 21+ the league is a sham. Either he trargeted the head or he didn't. If he targeted the head, based on precedent and the rules he needs to get more than he did the last time.

I disagree. Just because he made contact with the head (still debatable IMO) doesn't mean he targeted it, and the fact that the initial contact was shoulder-to-shoulder supports that point.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I disagree. Just because he made contact with the head (still debatable IMO) doesn't mean he targeted it, and the fact that the initial contact was shoulder-to-shoulder supports that point.

If he didn't target the head he cannot be suspended according to the rule I posted earlier. I agree he didn't target it. But, if the league disagrees and says he targeted it then it has to be more. That's why I say it will be a sham unless he gets one or the other.

@andystrickland12 mins
Majority of Hockey people I talked to say Torres isn't worthy of suspension

SpaceCoastShark

Look what the cat dragged in
Apr 8, 2009
Space Coast, FL
This is killing me. I've been refreshing waiting for an answer already. My guess is they might be looking over some video and they are going over things that he can and cannot do from now on.

They're having bloody marys and cucumber finger sandwiches and taking turns in DW's portable tanning bed.

EDIT: Imagine Torres with a DW tan :laugh:

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Some people seem pretty sure Torres hit Stoll in the head. I just don't see it. It looks to me like Torres hits his shoulder and the impact causes Stoll's head to snap back. The funny thing is that I want to see it, because I was one of the people who thought acquiring Torres was a mistake. But I can't see it and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Here's the Torres hit:

GGntRc5.gif

Here's the Desjardins hit on Mayers earlier in the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHgT_ccSTA4

The best view is at the 1:58 mark.

Desjardins hits Mayers squarely in the shoulder and Mayers' body goes flying. Mayers' head tilts side to side with the force of the impact, but if you watch carefully, his head really doesn't turn/rotate much. Mayers' nose/face stay pretty much in line with his chest. There is some turning of the head, but it is minor and follows along with his mid-section.

That's what happens when you have solid shoulder-shoulder contact. It's like being in a car crash. Your head may tilt side to side with the body impact, but it will typically remain facing in the same direction as the rest of the torso. Your head isn't going to violently rotate 90* to one side.

Contrast that with the Torres .gif.

Stoll's head turns sharply and it's the first thing to turn. Head/jaw/face rotates quickly to the left, then the rest of the body follows. If it was pure shoulder-shoulder, his face would have stayed mostly in line with his torso, and any head movement would have come as an after effect of the body collision.

Stoll's head turns first, THEN his skate lifts off the ice. Head goes first. It snaps 90* to the left in the same time and direction as Torres shoulder.

AnderFunk

Sep 17, 2010
Regina, SK

I agree that no other decision makes sense, except maybe around 15 games instead of 21+.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Did opinions suddenly change overnight? I was under the assumption that most people thought the hit was a good hockey play (or at the very least, worse hits have already been ignored even in this series) and that there were a few pundits who just saw the name Torres and are assuming the worst. Yet now I see some Kings fans saying it is unanimously a suspendable hit?

I've also heard some say that the meeting means the league thinks it's a dirty hit and it's just a matter of how long Torres is out, but I thought DW requested the meeting himself and that the results are still up in the air.

The hit didn't even look bad live or on the replay. Torres got a charging penalty when he was already well within range of the play without taking any strides. Stoll puts himself in a vulnerable position and moves at the last second. Torres had his elbows down and didn't jump into the play or aim high. I just don't see how this is a suspendable hit except as a reputation offense.

This is my take on the hit as well. Not sure what the league expects him to do in that situation to prevent this, other than just stop hitting altogether.

norcaltactics

deedupdex
Sep 1, 2011
SanJose CA
www.instagram.com
If it's taking this long it might be a good thing. DW might have very good arguments about the hit and they are having a hard time deciding on what to do. If the league already made up their mind about how many games he will be suspended, it should have ended alot sooner.

Adam Jones

May 6, 2011
Davis, CA
Here's the Torres hit:

GGntRc5.gif

Stoll's head turns sharply and it's the first thing to turn. Head/jaw/face rotates quickly to the left, then the rest of the body follows. If it was pure shoulder-shoulder, his face would have stayed mostly in line with his torso, and any head movement would have come as an after effect of the body collision.

Stoll's head turns first, THEN his skate lifts off the ice. Head goes first. It snaps 90* to the left in the same time and direction as Torres shoulder.

As innocent as it looked live, that analysis and .GIF lead me to believe Torres is doomed.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
No fine or suspension as Torres was not leading with his head, quite the opposite. Torres' head was the furtherest from the upper body collision.

Helmet to helmet contact was a result of the shoulder contact and incidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad