Hawks of Yesteryear Part II - Madden AHL 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I think his agent knew the Hawks plan. It was no secret that the Hawks were moving Sharp but I am fairly sure his agent and Stan discussed it (any decent agent would). Saad meant less because he played with 19/81 and 72 was going to play with 88.

Versteeg was not even a concern.

Sure everyone expected Sharp to go but if it was Saad instead of Sharp it wouldn't have changed anything. Sharp would've been on the top line leaving the next two good spots for Panarin which is what they would've expected in April.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Sure everyone expected Sharp to go but if it was Saad instead of Sharp it wouldn't have changed anything. Sharp would've been on the top line leaving the next two good spots for Panarin which is what they would've expected in April.

Both Sharp and Saad were too expensive invidually. Also remember TT was slotted in there as well.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Both Sharp and Saad were too expensive invidually. Also remember TT was slotted in there as well.

That wasn't your argument, you said we had to trade Sharp (along with Johns) because of the Panarin contract but Panarin's spot in the top 6 had already been opened by the Saad trade so he would've had no reason to feel betrayed by Sharp staying. If they made the cap work (meaning one of AA, Craw, Seabs, Bick had to go) Sharp and Johns could have stayed with no impact on 72.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
That wasn't your argument, you said we had to trade Sharp (along with Johns) because of the Panarin contract but Panarin's spot in the top 6 had already been opened by the Saad trade so he would've had no reason to feel betrayed by Sharp staying. If they made the cap work (meaning one of AA, Craw, Seabs, Bick had to go) Sharp and Johns could have stayed with no impact on 72.

Nevermind. I get what you are saying.

I think Sharp had to go to make room for Panarin and to get the deal done Johns had to go. I think Stan had the foresight (bet on) Panarin to turn out like he has and knew he would need the cash long term. TT/Dano were the Saad replacements and Panarin was the Sharp replacement. There was only 1 spot available.

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
People are still upset about the Sharp trade?

There will be people from this fandom in 15 years saying, oh everything would of been better and perfect if not for that trade and the other details they come up with their understandings of potential

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

Sharp and Saad weren't the same player. Sharp was the top offensive situation LW on the roster, and the best offensive R shooting threat in the top 6.

While it's possible Sharp was moved for cap considerations regardless of roster construction, I think a very good case was made that Panarin would have wanted Sharp's offensive role on the team, not Saad's role.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Nevermind. I get what you are saying.

I think Sharp had to go to make room for Panarin and to get the deal done Johns had to go. I think Stan had the foresight (bet on) Panarin to turn out like he has and knew he would need the cash long term. TT/Dano were the Saad replacements and Panarin was the Sharp replacement. There was only 1 spot available.

I missed this before.
I agree, I think Teravainen was the player they were hoping to address Saad's loss because of his defensive game.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
So, Stan gambled on Sharp, held him too long. Should have traded him for picks.

So, Stan gambled on TT replacing Saad, didn't happen.

So, Stan gambled on Dano replacing Saad, didn't happen.

So, Stan gambled on Daley replacing Oduya, didn't happen.

So, Stan gambled on AP being a stud. Happened.

So, Stan gambled on AA being 2C. Happened.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Stan diddnt gamble on TT or Dano replacing Saad. That's a pretty silly way of looking at it. A Saad trade absolutely needed to happen and AA was the big piece in that deal. Yes, it opened up a need but also addressed our biggest need we've had over the past 5+ years. He wasnt just sitting there thinking "you know Dano could replace Saad at a fraction of the price!".

I mean I'm sure the hope was on Dano or TT to take that 1LW spot but that wasn't the reasoning for the trade.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Really. You call it gambling but really it is foresight. Stan/his team obviously did their research and went forward their plan.

Most would say his plan has worked minus Daley.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
There will be people from this fandom in 15 years saying, oh everything would of been better and perfect if not for that trade and the other details they come up with their understandings of potential

You're likely too young to remember the Esposito trade. Time will tell if the Hawks will regret trading Johns.

Visit this thread to see footage of Hull with Espo. http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2047985

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

Really. You call it gambling but really it is foresight. Stan/his team obviously did their research and went forward their plan.

Most would say his plan has worked minus Daley.

Gambling wasn't meant as a negative but as taking a risk.
No the majority did not work.

Garbutt, Daley, Dano and TT is not where they wish he'd be.

Group think is of no interest to me, btw.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDHVFOgEDTC/

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. A sign that Bickell is done in Chicago?
That is his wife for those of you that didn't know.

Having known dozens of NHL hockey players well, this shouldn't surprise me, but two things are incredible about this. A: A one bedroom??? That is a small place.

B: They are going through the fuss of subletting their place with Bickell making huge bank? Wow, hockey players and their cheapness, never ceases to amaze me.

Still somehow, most of them end up broke at 50. But they are cheap. Go figure that one out.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Gambling wasn't meant as a negative but as taking a risk.
No the majority did not work.

Garbutt, Daley, Dano and TT is not where they wish he'd be.

Group think is of no interest to me, btw.

Unfortunately, you have to take some gambles, sometimes some pretty big gambles when you are dealing with salary cap hell every single off-season.

He's won more than he has lost so far.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
I have to agree here, giving up Johns was a big blow at the time, and will end up being a big blow in the long haul.

Michael Paliotta, D, 22

"Brandon Saad wasn’t the only player the Columbus Blue Jackets acquired from the Chicago Blackhawks this past summer. Michael Paliotta, a Blackhawks third round pick in 2011, was involved in the trade and he looks like an early steal. Paliotta played four seasons at the University of Vermont where his offensive abilities from the backend were showcased. Those abilities have transferred over to the pro game; Paliotta leads all Monsters defensemen in scoring with 21 points in 55 games and his 135 shots are second-most on the team behind only Zaar".

I know this guy was a "throw in" in the Saad trade.
I had hoped that Johns and Paliotta would add size and a bit of nasty we could use.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
It was obvious during the Stars-Hawks game that Johns was given the green light to rush deep into the Hawks zone, with complete disregard for his defensive position. Crashing the net, below the offensive goal line, etc... They were trying to get him a goal. They were showcasing him, and flaunting him over the Hawks. Added insult to the massive injury of the blowout.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It was obvious during the Stars-Hawks game that Johns was given the green light to rush deep into the Hawks zone, with complete disregard for his defensive position. Crashing the net, below the offensive goal line, etc... They were trying to get him a goal. They were showcasing him, and flaunting him over the Hawks. Added insult to the massive injury of the blowout.

They let their d fly around because Ruff knows his team is in serious trouble in a structured game.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
Good for him. I really like Smitty and was hopeful he'd be able to revamp his career in Toronto.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
They let their d fly around because Ruff knows his team is in serious trouble in a structured game.

This.

I've said it all year. Dallas is a high-flying, fun team to watch during the regular season but it's going to be a much different world for them when it's the third week of April.

CptnSerious

Them Intangibles
Apr 19, 2014
This.

I've said it all year. Dallas is a high-flying, fun team to watch during the regular season but it's going to be a much different world for them when it's the third week of April.

It should be interesting to see if they can beat the Wild in a 7 game series in the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad