Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Other young Oilers such as..... Ive never seen rumours about Hall from our media? Link please.

And Toronto media sucks and is hard on the players. Agree or disagree? Point made.
Its hard but the fans aren't. It is more demanding than hard.

Media? Those weren't out there. But neither were the Draisaitl or Pronger stories actually reported but they ran rampant. Way before Laraque made his allegations against Hall, you know there were those rumors about Hall and his antics at bars. From people attacking his character as person for partying a bit too much and being a rich 20 year old. The Leafs players have different issues which is the media is demanding, but it doesn't have the fishbowl effect that other small Canadian markets do (see Winnipeg with Kane as another example). I won't mention other players where these rumors have been floated heavily, but I assume Hall is okay to mention due to a somewhat reliable (or atleast accredited media) source repeating the rumor (and I am not saying it is true).

If you are asking about links, where have Phil or Dion ever openly bashed Toronto as a city to play in? The only people who have are Burke and Wilson, who are the prime architects of these failurs. Most fans know that Burke set them up for failure and mis-cast them.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Its hard but the fans aren't. It is more demanding than hard.

Media? Those weren't out there. But neither were the Draisaitl or Pronger stories actually reported but they ran rampant. Way before Laraque made his allegations against Hall, you know there were those rumors about Hall and his antics at bars. From people attacking his character as person for partying a bit too much and being a rich 20 year old. The Leafs players have different issues which is the media is demanding, but it doesn't have the fishbowl effect that other small Canadian markets do (see Winnipeg with Kane as another example).

If you are asking about links, where have Phil or Dion ever openly bashed Toronto as a city to play in? The only people who have are Burke and Wilson, who are the prime architects of these failurs. Most fans know that Burke set them up for failure and mis-cast them.

So rumours happen in Edmonton and no where else. Wow. Amazing point. And this has to do with this thread cause why?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So rumours happen in Edmonton and no where else. Wow. Amazing point. And this has to do with this thread cause why?
No, but pretty slanderous ones run rampant there. Do you not think your city has a fishbowl effect when it comes to NHL players?

And again. Where did Dion or Phil say they hated playing in Toronto. Something you have harped on all thread. Yet, Phil still comes back to Toronto in the off-season, and goes out when he's here.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
True, but Marner is going up against their top forward line so it evens out. Marner is just straight up having a better series

Idk I just think Chara and McAvoy would shut down a lot of players. I also think most of the Marner line goals were on 2 on 1's from stretch passes that are taking Bergeron and any other forward out of the equation pretty much anyways.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Didn't Phil say that he doesn't like Toronto media? Or was it just visible displeasure?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Idk I just think Chara and McAvoy would shut down a lot of players. I also think most of the Marner line goals were on 2 on 1's from stretch passes that are taking Bergeron and any other forward out of the equation pretty much anyways.
Chara matches up very well against Matthews who usually can easily win board battles and use his reach to his advantage. Nylander looks scared to death of him. Thankfully, there isn't anyone else like Chara in the league and he's 41. The only Leaf who causes him problems is Marner due to Marner being more fearless than Nylander and being extremely elusive due to high-end edgework.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Didn't Phil say that he doesn't like Toronto media? Or was it just visible displeasure?
Since he got traded? I don't think so. But, he lost it on Feschuk and within reason once. He also got testy with them about how they wrote about Dion. But, he never said anything about it making him not wanting to be a Maple Leaf.

Either way, he still enjoys Toronto and comes back in the off-season.

I can't think of a big name player who requested a trade out of here in the past 2 decades because they didn't like it.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Since he got traded? I don't think so. But, he lost it on Feschuk and within reason once. He also got testy with them about how they wrote about Dion. But, he never said anything about it making him not wanting to be a Maple Leaf.

Either way, he still enjoys Toronto and comes back in the off-season.

I can't think of a big name player who requested a trade out of here in the past 2 decades because they didn't like it.

Ahh yeah, that's probably what I'm thinking. The one interview where he goes "are you seriously asking this" "are you saying it's my fault" or something similar. I wasn't implying it's a reason he didn't want to be a Leaf. I have no information that says he wanted out. Although I'm sure he's just as happy as Leafs fans about getting traded.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Sens fans saw it with Alfie; .

What are you talking about? Alfredsson had 7 points in 7 games his first playoffs. The second year he was in the playoffs he had 7 goals and 9 points in 11 games. The third year he had 3 points in 4 games and the following year 4 points in six games.

What kind of morons thought he was a playoff choker? That's just nonsense.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Ask the people who brought him up as a lame defense mechanism due to them not being able to cope with Matthews failure.

Read through the thread again.

You brought him up first when you said, "Cry me a river. My team has one great player. And guess what? When he plays he goes up against every top checker and best d men."

No one had even mentioned Eichel up to that point.

Eichel is a fantastic player but it does him a real disservice to shove his name into the middle of an unrelated thread to score points. I'd say the same if a Matthews fan did it.

Jerry Aldini

Oct 2, 2009
Toronto
As opposed to what? Seeing success throughout these playoffs games? No, he has not been good, and neither have the leafs as a whole. Season's as good as done, see you next year :laugh:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He’s done. TML should trade him before they give him an anchor contract they’ll regret.

Uhh, he is 20 years old, right? People really want to be quick to judge and proclaim they “called it” before anyone else. Mainly because he’s been called “generational” or “elite” a lot on this board. Has nothing to do with the game on the ice, though.

He’ll be fine, but if you really want him to reach his potential, trade him to Boston so he can learn under Bergeron’s wing.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yes he has struggled, like many great players before him and many great players will struggle after him.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Maybe not sucking, but compared to how good he really is, it was. Even Drai outshined him, in a big way

Drai was better in the Anaheim series (where he had 5 of his 16 pts in one game). The only thing of note he did in the SJS series was spear a guy in the nuts.

People act like Drai doing better here and there is bad, it's not. If our team is going to be remotely successful in the future, we need our 2c to do things. He is our Malkin-lite. The only thing the playoffs told us was that Draisaitl should be able to carry his own line.

Malkin outshined Crosby for the entire new year. But we have threads on the mains with people talking about Crosby "resting". Sometimes the 2c steps up.

Reactions: McTrashBoat

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Drai was better in the Anaheim series (where he had 5 of his 16 pts in one game). The only thing of note he did in the SJS series was spear a guy in the nuts.

People act like Drai doing better here and there is bad, it's not. If our team is going to be remotely successful in the future, we need our 2c to do things. He is our Malkin-lite. The only thing the playoffs told us was that Draisaitl should be able to carry his own line.

Malkin outshined Crosby for the entire new year. But we have threads on the mains with people talking about Crosby "resting". Sometimes the 2c steps up.

Drai has out produced Matthews in both seasons he has been in league.

Drai was also a playoff beast, and Matthews has wilted. I know Drai is 2yrs older, but at the moment Drai is the better player, not much debate on that.

Both players wee injured and missed time. I think the Draisaitl and Matthews comparisons will be fun over next few yrs.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Did I read he refused to speak to media after the game last night?
Yep. Who cares? For all we know, it was Lou or Babcock that made the call. It's well documented that they've been trying to protect certain players when it comes to the media. Whether it was them or Matthews that made the decision, it doesn't bother me one bit. No need for media distractions right now.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Drai has out produced Matthews in both seasons he has been in league.

Drai was also a playoff beast. I know Drai is 2yrs older, but at the moment Drai is the better player, not much debate on that.

Both players wee injured and missed time. I think the Draisaitl and Matthews comparisons will be fun over next few yrs.

I mean, I like Draisaitl as much as the next guy but I don't think he is as good as Matthews, let alone better.

You're free to have your opinion though. I think if we had a Matthews calibre player behind Mcdavid (goal scorer) we wouldn't have missed by 20 points.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yep. Who cares? For all we know, it was Lou or Babcock that made the call. It's well documented that they've been trying to protect certain players when it comes to the media. Whether it was them or Matthews that made the decision, it doesn't bother me one bit. No need for media distractions right now.
That’s a bunch of BS; if this was Crosby or any other star player, you’d be calling them out. But it’s cool when a guy on your team does it? Give me a break. It’s an immature move from an immature player on a joke of a team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad