Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Yeah anyone who think Matthews is or will be generational is pretty delusional. Typically it doesn't take 3 years for a forward to show he's a generational talent.

Matthews is clearly immature and not fit to lead his team at this point. He thinks he can show up and put up a half-assed effort in the playoffs but he's going to, and is, get eaten up like that. Kid's got a lot to learn.

Surely a Generational talent, can put up more then 29 assists on a team that's top 5 in scoring?

Or show up in the playoffs.

Yeah, Yeah, he got a few goals against the Chokejob Caps.

This year, he has been absolutely BRUTAL.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Did he actually refuse to speak to the media after the game tonight? If so, it makes you wonder if he's got the right temperament to be the leader on an NHL team in a crazy high pressure market like Toronto. It's a very tough gig.

Another example of why Auston Matthews is not ACCOUNTABlE. This is all Karma, for Leaf Fans wanting to pain a picture as if EIchel was a cancer and had a horrible attitude. So Matthews is complete baby after Game 2, ...after Game 3 he is laughing with the media talking like a big shot because he got his first playoff point. Talking like everyone who doubted him are coming completely silly and that’s how the world is. No Matthews that’s how sports work. Now after Game 4 another pointless night he refuses to talk to the media...in TORONTO>....in the playoffs.

It shows how mature he is for sure. Or immature.

He's been treated like a God in Toronto and he probably started to believe the hype himself, and played on adrenaline.

But when it comes down to it, and its a playoff series, the way he plays? He can be shut down as we are seeing.

Last edited:

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I mean, it's the Toronto media. last time some woman kept asking him how bad he feels about people trashing him online

And rightfully so.

Regardless of what you think he was BRILLIANT in Game 2, and 3. he was bad in both the first games, he was pretty good in Game 3, and tonight he was LAZY and bad again.

If your a star player and you think your going to get Jack Eichel like money....you perform. You take responsibility and don't hide like a little baby.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
And rightfully so.

Regardless of what you think he was BRILLIANT in Game 2, and 3. he was bad in both the first games, he was pretty good in Game 3, and tonight he was LAZY and bad again.

If your a star player and you think your going to get Jack Eichel like money....you perform. You take responsibility and don't hide like a little baby.
Jack Eichel doesn't deserve Eichel money. It's pretty easy for him to hide from the pressures of performing in important games, since he hasn't played in any

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

You can tell with Matthews nervous chuckle and his long winded rambling answer that he is very hurt by the comments he reads online. I think this might have really affected his play tonight. His mind seemed to be elsewhere. Don't know if he's got the mental fortitude to make it in Toronto to be honest.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
You can tell with Matthews nervous chuckle and his long winded rambling answer that he is very hurt by the comments he reads online. I think this might have really affected his play tonight. His mind seemed to be elsewhere. Don't know if he's got the mental fortitude to make it in Toronto to be honest.
I think he just thought her question was asinine the first time, and that she was deranged when she tried to ask it again. I would wait to see how he performs in the next game to say he's mentally disengaged

Reactions: 99664987

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think he just thought her question was asinine the first time, and that she was deranged when she tried to ask it again. I would wait to see how he performs in the next game to say he's mentally disengaged

I was thinking of waiting after game 1, then game 2.... were onto game 5 now... should i keep waiting?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I give you credit for taking the time to do all this.

But as in life, hockey interviews are incredibally contrived, they feel like acting audtions, line rehearsals.

To the point where Crosby, McDavid all get notes from Gretzky on how to talk and handle the media when you are truly exceptional.

Austin was SMART enough to know that after his four goal game, losing 5-4 he was going to blame himself.

It's a way to look good.

It's not hard to figure out. He owned his mistake there, fine. I know it's an incredible accomlishment but your need to repeat it over and over borderlines obsession.

Sam Gagner had 8 pts in one game. Sometimes these things happen. How many 4 goal games has Auston put up since?

Sometimes these things happen. It's not like he broke in the league and kicked the door down, like the media portray it.

So far his team has been bailed out by a total pro Goaltender (The game of hockey is largely about goaltending) something I attribute the Leafs making the playoffs, far more then Auston Matthews. Mitch Marner AINT A BAD guy to have around, neither is the leadership from Lou, Shanahan, Babcock, Reilly and a host of others., (Third liner JVR scoring 30 goals) the team is pretty damn stacked.

But Auston Matthews is the front and center and that's the way YOU, the Media and everyone else want to write the show.

Guess what?

Auston Matthews may not even be a top 2 player on his teaam.

It's extremely arguable Marner and Anderson are more valuable. Marner has been in Auston's shadow his entire playing time.

But the Media will never ever write it that way, of course not. People talk about hyperbole,and use that word over and over but look in the mirror for crying out loud.

You talk about my childish agenda and you fail to realize Mattthews acting like a baby after Game 2. His comments after his first game, I knew right away That's how you look good to a coach, and the league.

Did you expect Auston to go, Yeah we lost 5-4 but HELL YEA, FOUR GOALS BABY!

No, your a pro of course your going to be humble.

Austin can do no wrong, ever in your eyes.

After the misery and suffering your franchise has gone through, seeing someone do fairly well has got to be a relief so I can understand all of you instantly falling in love with him.

But love does a funny thing. It alters perceptions and its abundantly clear here that you and other Leaf Fans, will find a way, any way, it could be BS stuff like Cori, or finding these useless interviews which again, that's great of you to find them but they proved nothing.

If Auston was in Jack's shoes, not only would the Sabres be worse IMO but I believe his lack of accountability (Spare him trying to look good in his debut to everyone) WHICH HE DID, is bad.

Auston would probably be booed by everyone in Bufffalo. Eichel actually owns his faults. But losing game after game is frustrating, especially when your an elite talent like Jack. If Auston was losing the games Jack is due to goaltending, coaching, and yes even Auston;s play, he'd be just as mad.

And his actions as of late CLEARLY show he would handle it probably a hell of a lot worse.

No agenda, just facts and basic logic.

Were done here.

Ulnless the AM tinted glasses go in the garbage.
I guess saying "shit happens" is highly a problem to you. He obviously knows he has to do better.

Buffalo fans wouldn't boo Matthews if he played for them and you ignore the tribalism of fandom in sports. What faults does Eichel own? He literally says the same cliche thing ROR says after every game.

Matthews is better than Eichel. He leads his team better and his team plays better. Trying to dimish Matthews by pimping Freddy and Marner is pretty funny.

Again, I don't mention it to pimp the 4 goals. I mention it due to it being the most prominent example of him owning his mistakes. Something you don't think he does.

You aren't using facts and basic logic. You want to hear some facts. The Sabres have gotten worse every years Eichel has played for them, Matthews team has gotten better. Matthews not only scored at a better ppg this year, but on a significantly better per minute rate. Eichel plays a minute and a half more on the PP. If you just look at 5v5 scoring it isn't even close.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

Could maybe be he couldn’t give good answers because she didn’t know how to ask a question properly. Genuinely think my little 8 year old brother could ask a question simpler, smoother, and get a better answer.

Honestly so disappointing that throughout all media these are the awkward people that are getting insight from players.

Hope he bounces back next game to make the series interesting. People who don’t want people to succeed are weird humans.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Most of the vitriol thrown by opposing fans? It isn't Leafs fans turning on him, and if they are its an extreme minority.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Remind me the last player we legit ran out of town? Pretty sure it was Larry Murphy.

Maybe McDavid and your group of first round picks won't be able to handle living in the fishbowl that is Edmonton. Especially if they play like this again next year. I mean Edmonton probably leads the league as a fanbase in outlandish rumors about players. Maybe we should ask Progners wife or Kia Nuse.

Last edited:

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Matthews hasnt lived up to expectation (in fact seems to be playing pretty bad) but it's one playoffs and he's barely 20. He'll probably have a series sooner or later where he looks like the best player in the league, like all the other young guys coming up.
All I see here is a bunch of Matthews haters taking shots at the very first chance they get. As a neutral fan I still take him ahead of all the other 2nd overall picks that get brought up for comparison.

And btw the guy that asked him the question about his line being dominated was by Simmonds and was asked in a pretty douchy tone so I think it's stupid to draw any "attitude problems" from that sequence

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
He's struggled but he's also faced tough matchups. He hasn't played well enough to will the Leafs to victory but I don't think that's his fault. He hasn't put the team on his back but that's a tough request when he's facing up against the best line in the league. Matthews is a great player but I don't think there are many guys in the league who could have turned this series the Leafs way. Maybe Crosby or Malkin. Playoff success takes experience and Matthews doesn't have that yet.

Sens fans saw it with Alfie; Wings fans saw it with Datsyuk - both were considered playoff chokers.... until, one year, something clicked and they both started putting up dominant playoff performances. Matthews will probably get there sooner rather than later.

Nylander has struggled much more, imo.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's struggled but he's also faced tough matchups. He hasn't played well enough to will the Leafs to victory but I don't think that's his fault. He hasn't put the team on his back but that's a tough request when he's facing up against the best line in the league. Matthews is a great player but I don't think there are many guys in the league who could have turned this series the Leafs way. Maybe Crosby or Malkin. Playoff success takes experience and Matthews doesn't have that yet.

Sens fans saw it with Alfie; Wings fans saw it with Datsyuk - both were considered playoff chokers.... until, one year, something clicked and they both started putting up dominant playoff performances. Matthews will probably get there sooner rather than later.

Couldn't agree more with the last 2 paragraphs. Nylander is really off his game and Matthews can't carry the line offensively.

Nylander and Matthews were great last year and Marner's line was the frustrating one. Although Marner has different personnel on his line this year, the opposite is true this year.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN

Welcome to the NHL Playoffs.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I guess saying "**** happens" is highly a problem to you. He obviously knows he has to do better.

Buffalo fans wouldn't boo Matthews if he played for them and you ignore the tribalism of fandom in sports. What faults does Eichel own? He literally says the same cliche thing ROR says after every game.

Matthews is better than Eichel. He leads his team better and his team plays better. Trying to dimish Matthews by pimping Freddy and Marner is pretty funny.

Again, I don't mention it to pimp the 4 goals. I mention it due to it being the most prominent example of him owning his mistakes. Something you don't think he does.

You aren't using facts and basic logic. You want to hear some facts. The Sabres have gotten worse every years Eichel has played for them, Matthews team has gotten better. Matthews not only scored at a better ppg this year, but on a significantly better per minute rate. Eichel plays a minute and a half more on the PP. If you just look at 5v5 scoring it isn't even close.

That isn't true at all. (Sabres getting worse each year Eichel has been there)

In Eichel's first season (15-16) the Sabres finished with about 15 more wins. (around .500) and the year before they had him when the finished dead last, they had something like 21 wins.

Also after returning from injury in December 2016 from a sprained Ankle he took a 30th ranked offense and with-in a month they were 20th. Moving up ten spots was huge considering the Sabres had been shutout quite a few times in Eichel's absence.

Also Eichel lead the Sabres to the best powerplay in the entire NHL after returning in December 2016. Lead all forwards in transition zone rushes, even ahead of one Connor McDavid.

These are factors your completely ignoring, or didn't know. You act as if Eichel is some cancer to the Sabres when in reality he is the only thing that drives there offense and there is a countless amount of numbers and facts to back this up. He literally has no help at all and saying he has made the team worse each season is WRONG. I doubt you'll even admit that. But check the Sabres in 13-4, and 14-15, then check them in Eichel's rookie year in 15-16. Look at the difference. Of course it's gone down since then and were back to being awful but what you said was only half correct, so that means it's half wrong too.

Again, you guys don't watch him nearly enough to realize the type of talent he is and you and CLWM, continue to downplay anything good, and overcourse overblow anything Matthews does. Just a few hours before Game 4 CLWM said Matthews has had a brilliant Game 2 and 3 and now 4 is upcoming, or something along those lines. LOL\

I can admit, I'm biased too, that's life but I'm not the one throwing out incorrect statements like Matthews has mad the Leafs worse.

It's so nice to be right.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews: 2/2 playoff appearances
Eichel: 0/3

Matthews :=GOT A GM, BABCOCK, GOT A GOALIE, GOT A SUPPORTING CAST

Eichel = None of that.

And he mised 1/4th of his 2nd and 3rd years.

You guys just can't take that Eichel is either better or absolutely on his level. It shows.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That isn't true at all. (Sabres getting worse each year Eichel has been there)

In Eichel's first season (15-16) the Sabres finished with about 15 more wins. (around .500) and the year before they had him when the finished dead last, they had something like 21 wins.

Also after returning from injury in December 2016 from a sprained Ankle he took a 30th ranked offense and with-in a month they were 20th. Moving up ten spots was huge considering the Sabres had been shutout quite a few times in Eichel's absence.

Also Eichel lead the Sabres to the best powerplay in the entire NHL after returning in December 2016. Lead all forwards in transition zone rushes, even ahead of one Connor McDavid.

These are factors your completely ignoring, or didn't know. You act as if Eichel is some cancer to the Sabres when in reality he is the only thing that drives there offense and there is a countless amount of numbers and facts to back this up. He literally has no help at all and saying he has made the team worse each season is WRONG. I doubt you'll even admit that. But check the Sabres in 13-4, and 14-15, then check them in Eichel's rookie year in 15-16. Look at the difference. Of course it's gone down since then and were back to being awful but what you said was only half correct, so that means it's half wrong too.

Again, you guys don't watch him nearly enough to realize the type of talent he is and you and CLWM, continue to downplay anything good, and overcourse overblow anything Matthews does. Just a few hours before Game 4 CLWM said Matthews has had a brilliant Game 2 and 3 and now 4 is upcoming, or something along those lines. LOL\

I can admit, I'm biased too, that's life but I'm not the one throwing out incorrect statements like Matthews has mad the Leafs worse.

It's so nice to be right.
They've regressed every season since his rookie one.

What I can't take is your constant agenda against Matthews. You are literally the only Sabres fan who does it with consistency and do it often.

You aren't using logic or facts. Why does Matthews produce more in less minutes? Why has Matthews been able to improve his team both years? Why is Matthews better at every comparable age grouping? Why is Matthews better at PPG (because that's what you were touting all of last summer for Eichel) now?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad