Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
They've regressed every season since his rookie one.

So your saying the team GOT SIGNIFICANTLY better when he arrived, then in the 2nd season when he didn't play until December they took a big dive, then the next year took an even worse dive where he again missed 1/4th of the year? Gotchya. 2/3. Those are some significant stats there.

Nice of you to admit you were wrong about the Sabres getting worse ever since Eichel arrived.

When the evidence supports something quite different.

This is your own evidence here, and it backfired.

He improved the team, almost doubled the wins in his first year, and in the 2nd took a huge nose dive (the same season he didn't play until december)

COlour me shocked!

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So your saying the team GOT SIGNIFICANTLY better when he arrived, then in the 2nd season when he didn't play until December they took a big dive, then the next year took an even worse dive where he again missed 1/4th of the year? Gotchya. 2/3. Those are some significant stats there.

Nice of you to admit you were wrong about the Sabres getting worse ever since Eichel arrived.

Didn't ROR and Reinhart also arrive? The things you constantly play up in Matthews case?

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
CanLoseWithMatthews, when I said welcome to the NHL Playoffs I was talking about in reference to the level of competion going up.

It had nothing to do with EIchel and Matthews, but nice of you to show me that Matthews has a better team. SOme argument there. Real mature too.

Didn't ROR and Reinhart also arrive? The things you constantly play up in Matthews case?

Oh, am I forgetting to point things out. Something you do quite often. As your posts above have clearly showed.

(BTW ROR had back spasms) In a sever way and missed a month and a half that 2nd year with the nose-dive, and Kane missed the first month too.

LOok its been a tough night for you guys I'm leaving this now.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Yet, you insulted last season's Capitals.

Level of competition only counts when Matthews doesn't put up points?

Hey, were on an even playing field here. I never said the Caps were crap, I just said they choke in the playoffs.

The same things you guys accuse me of doing, you guys do. It's hilarious that's why I'm out.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh, am I forgetting to point things out. Something you do quote often. As your posts above have clearly showed.
Its just a ridiculous agenda by you. You are the only Sabres fan who goes into any Matthews thread and carries on like this. Why is Matthews been better at every comparable age? Why can't Jack score 30 goals? Why is he only an elite player on the PP and not at 5v5 (or atleast wasn't until this year) something Matthews was in his first year in the League?

You want to point to zone-entries? Why aren't those zone-entries converting to goals at 5v5 or elite possession numbers? Probably because he skates tends to stop then tries to make the perfect pass or shot instead of driving the net.

This is your own evidence here, and it backfired.

He improved the team, almost doubled the wins in his first year, and in the 2nd took a huge nose dive (the same season he didn't play until december)

COlour me shocked!
You want to act like the Sabres record with and without Eichel this year isn't much different. You won 2 of 12 games when he came back, and were in 2nd last place when he went down. You went 6-7-2 without Eichel (a points percentage of .93) with him you went 19-38-12 (.74). Okay, nice lie right there. They nose-dived after he came back to fall behind the Coyotes.

So, despite Eichel being a better leader than Matthews and continually improving why isn't his team improving with him. I mean, they have ROR and Reinhart?

You want to talk about evidence backfiring.

If Eichel is so important and is being dragged down by sub-par linemates and management, why were they better the year he missed a 1/3rd of the season than the one where he missed only a 1/4th?

You literally show up everytime Matthews has a slow patch to pitch this agenda in threads that are solely related to Matthews.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
Its just a ridiculous agenda by you. You are the only Sabres fan who goes into any Matthews thread and carries on like this. Why is Matthews been better at every comparable age? Why can't Jack score 30 goals? Why is he only an elite player on the PP and not at 5v5 (or atleast wasn't until this year) something Matthews was in his first year in the League?

You want to point to zone-entries? Why aren't those zone-entries converting to goals at 5v5 or elite possession numbers? Probably because he skates tends to stop then tries to make the perfect pass or shot instead of driving the net.

You want to act like the Sabres record with and without Eichel this year isn't much different. You won 2 of 12 games when he came back, and were in 2nd last place when he went down. You went 6-7-2 without Eichel (a points percentage of .93) with him you went 19-38-12 (.74). Okay, nice lie right there. They nose-dived after he came back to fall behind the Coyotes.

So, despite Eichel being a better leader than Matthews and continually improving why isn't his team improving with him. I mean, they have ROR and Reinhart?

You want to talk about evidence backfiring.

If Eichel is so important and is being dragged down by sub-par linemates and management, why were they better the year he missed a 1/3rd of the season than the one where he missed only a 1/4th?

You literally show up everytime Matthews has a slow patch to pitch this agenda in threads that are solely related to Matthews.

I was literally going to reply to all of what you said until your last line.

This is what you do EVERY time Eichel gets any credit.

You downplay it, talk about ice time, the powerplay, bla bla.

You realize over 45 of his 64 pts this year were primary and at even strength, right?

Never said he was a better leader then Matthews.

I said he had a bad attitude, and even the media who usually love him agreed on that.

And for you guys claiming Eichel has a poor attitude, it's just not backed up by any quotes.

He's frustrated he p;lays for a brutal team. SHOCKING.

Those numbers you pointed only showed this season, once again you completely ignore him improving the team in his first year, infact you downright lied about it and said his team got worse each season since he arrived, when in reality he helped damn near double the teams wins.

And fine let me address those numbers, that was at a time in February, March where we were basically eliminated from the playoffs. Despite all that he put up points still like a boss but when you play for the Sabres, those points don't get you wins like they would on the Leafs.

And sometimes teams play better without there Stars. Remember the Leafs winning 5 in a row when Matthews went out?

But the biggest reason outside little motivation for the games in spring and an awful team for those lossses...bad coaching, bad everyhting outside Eichel and a couple others.....but most of all..

We.
Dont.
Have.
A.
GOALIE.

That's pretty damn important.

Matthews 60 something points would mean nothing if he was a Sabre, who cares about Matthews playing well if his team loses 6-2.

It's hilarious how CLWM uses Eichel not being in big games as if that's supposed to diminish him. Matthews got the better draw of teams.

God, you guys take a drink or something. Goodnight.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was literally going to reply to all of what you said until your last line.

This is what you do EVERY time Eichel gets any credit.

You downplay it, talk about ice time, the powerplay, bla bla.

You realize over 45 of his 64 pts this year were primary and at even strength, right?

Never said he was a better leader then Matthews.

I said he had a bad attitude, and even the media who usually love him agreed on that.

And for you guys claiming Eichel has a poor attitude, it's just not backed up by any quotes.

He's frustrated he p;lays for a brutal team. SHOCKING.

Those numbers you pointed only showed this season, once again you completely ignore him improving the team in his first year, infact you downright lied about it and said his team got worse each season since he arrived, when in reality he helped damn near double the teams wins.

And fine let me address those numbers, that was at a time in February, March where we were basically eliminated from the playoffs. Despite all that he put up points still like a boss but when you play for the Sabres, those points don't get you wins like they would on the Leafs.

And sometimes teams play better without there Stars. Remember the Leafs winning 5 in a row when Matthews went out?

But the biggest reason outside little motivation for the games in spring and an awful team for those lossses...bad coaching, bad everyhting outside Eichel and a couple others.....but most of all..

We.
Dont.
Have.
A.
GOALIE.

That's pretty damn important.

God, you guys take a drink or something. Goodnight.
You literally bring up Matthews in every thread you create hyping up Eichel then are surprised by the response. You did it with your Marner/Matthews vs Eichel/Reinhart thread. You do it when Eichel has any big accomplishment. Maybe, if you want to discuss Eichel in relative peace do two things. First, if you are going to talk about him on the mains, maybe avoid mentioning Matthews or say he's underrated relative to him. Secondly, you have a safe space to an extent called the Sabres board.

You have implied Eichel is a better leader multiple times in this thread by stating he takes ownership of his team and use it to mock Matthews. You say he would get booed by Buffalo fans for his attitude. Are you not trying to imply Matthews is a bad leader due to this?

MightySelanne8

Mar 10, 2014
Helsinki
Hes had terrible playoffs for sure, nothing Toronto fans expected.

He is going to have more chances in the future in playoffs, but this yesr he got schooled. And their whole team seems to be nervous, maybe because they dont have any veterans with winning experience?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Remind me the last player we legit ran out of town? Pretty sure it was Larry Murphy.

Maybe McDavid and your group of first round picks won't be able to handle living in the fishbowl that is Edmonton. Especially if they play like this again next year. I mean Edmonton probably leads the league as a fanbase in outlandish rumors about players. Maybe we should ask Progners wife or Kia Nuse.

Kessel looked like he was about to cry being a Leaf. Phaneuf didn't have a great time either. What's the Oilers got to do with Matthews playoff thread?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Oh jesus. I listened to the question up until the point where Matthews laughed awkwardly. That woman should not be interviewing kindergarten kids not to mention multi-million dollar athletes. What the **** is wrong with her?
Yeah to be honest it's not even too out of the ordinary with this media. I'm slightly disappointed, but I completely understand why he didn't want to speak to the media after an emotional loss.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Yeah to be honest it's not even too out of the ordinary with this media. I'm slightly disappointed, but I completely understand why he didn't want to speak to the media after an emotional loss.

I feel for your players if that's what they go through consistently. It's fine to ask tough questions but prying about how player handles online bashing is f***ing moronic. It's akin to asking "three of my neighbors told me this morning that you suck and have huge nostrils, how do you feel about that"?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kessel looked like he was about to cry being a Leaf. Phaneuf didn't have a great time either. What's the Oilers got to do with Matthews playoff thread?
Kessel was trade due to a rebuild, he wasn't run out of town. Dion had a hard time but it wasn't really him being run out of town. The only people we really chase out are incompetent management like Nonis and Wilson.

You want to throw stones at a glass house and talk about how horrific Toronto is a market. How about look at your own which is like a runaway freightrain with ridiculous and slanderous rumors.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
CanLoseWithMatthews, when I said welcome to the NHL Playoffs I was talking about in reference to the level of competion going up.

It had nothing to do with EIchel and Matthews, but nice of you to show me that Matthews has a better team. SOme argument there. Real mature too.

Whenever a subject comes up that paints Matthews as not as good as Leaf fans think their only defense (because they cant use stats or Matthews actual performances) is to say "YOUR TEAM SUCKS AND LEAFS WIN MORE" etc etc.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
the Marner line has been way better though so idk about that

Because their line is feasting on the 2nd pairing of the Bruins. Chara and McAvoy are being used to shutdown Matthews.

Game 4 they scored tonight against Krug and Miller.

Game 3 they scored twice against Krug and Miller.

Game 2 they scored against Krug and Miller.

Game 1 they didn't score

So every single ES goal the Marner line has scored has been against the 2nd pairing of the Bruins. Matthews lone goal has been against that pairing as well when the Bruins got hemmed in their own end.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I feel for your players if that's what they go through consistently. It's fine to ask tough questions but prying about how player handles online bashing is ****ing moronic. It's akin to asking "three of my neighbors told me this morning that you suck and have huge nostrils, how do you feel about that"?
I feel its the playoffs, like the Superbowl interviews bring out the moronic questions as more than the regular day to day media is covering it. So, you get a bunch of unqualified people who have limited info on the sport and instead of looking to write the story that develops (which journalists should do) was looking to create a story (by going about how players deal with social media).

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Because their line is feasting on the 2nd pairing of the Bruins. Chara and McAvoy are being used to shutdown Matthews.

Game 4 they scored tonight against Krug and Miller.

Game 3 they scored twice against Krug and Miller.

Game 2 they scored against Krug and Miller.

Game 1 they didn't score

So every single ES goal the Marner line has scored has been against the 2nd pairing of the Bruins. Matthews lone goal has been against that pairing as well when the Bruins got hemmed in their own end.
True, but Marner is going up against their top forward line so it evens out. Marner is just straight up having a better series

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Kessel was trade due to a rebuild, he wasn't run out of town. Dion had a hard time but it wasn't really him being run out of town. The only people we really chase out are incompetent management like Nonis and Wilson.

You want to throw stones at a glass house and talk about how horrific Toronto is a market. How about look at your own which is like a runaway freightrain with ridiculous and slanderous rumors.

I never stated why they were traded. I just stated that they obviously hated the Leafs bubble which includes its fans and media.

I'm sorry have I made any points about the Oilers organization? Didn't realize this was a Playoff thread about the Oilers but you seem to keep bringing them up and making points that aren't relevant. "Runaway Freight Train of Rumours" City with its 2 rumours in a 20 years has no relevance to whether media in Toronto is horrible and certain players disliking it and not being able to handle it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I never stated why they were traded. I just stated that they obviously hated the Leafs bubble which includes its fans and media.

I'm sorry have I made any points about the Oilers organization? Didn't realize this was a Playoff thread about the Oilers but you seem to keep bringing them up and making points that aren't relevant. "Runaway Freight Train of Rumours" City with its 2 rumours in a 20 years has no relevance to whether media in Toronto is horrible and certain players disliking it and not being able to handle it.
Yeah, I mean its not like there were big rumors attacking Hall for his off the ice-activities. Or, other similar ones about other young Oilers.

Phil never disliked Toronto. He still comes back for christ sakes in the off-season. I've seen him partying with the Pens at Baro since. That doesn't sound like someone who hates the city and the fans are making it untenable for him. As a huge Leafs fan when I ran into him, all I said was congrats on the cup.

Dion didn't want to be traded. Both were cap dumps or moves required for a rebuild.

If anything Burke bears the brunt of those moves, not those players. Are Feschuk and Simmons idiots? Absolutely, but they aren't representative of the fanbase.

The only people who was high profile who has openly bashed Toronto as a market is Brian Burke and Ron Wilson. Mainly, because they were incompetent with huge egos.

Last edited:

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I mean its not like there were big rumors attacking Hall for his off the ice-activities. Or, other similar ones about other young Oilers.

Phil never disliked Toronto. He still comes back for christ sakes in the off-season. I've seen him partying with the Pens at Baro since. That doesn't sound like someone who hates the city and the fans are making it untenable for him. As a huge Leafs fan when I ran into him, all I said was congrats on the cup.

Dion didn't want to be traded. Both were cap dumps or moves required for a rebuild.

If anything Burke bears the brunt of those moves, not those players. Are Feschuk and Simmons idiots? Absolutely, but they aren't representative of the fanbase.

Other young Oilers such as..... Ive never seen rumours about Hall from our media? Link please.

And Toronto media sucks and is hard on the players. Agree or disagree? Point made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad