Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
You literally bring up Matthews in every thread you create hyping up Eichel then are surprised by the response. You did it with your Marner/Matthews vs Eichel/Reinhart thread. You do it when Eichel has any big accomplishment. Maybe, if you want to discuss Eichel in relative peace do two things. First, if you are going to talk about him on the mains, maybe avoid mentioning Matthews or say he's underrated relative to him. Secondly, you have a safe space to an extent called the Sabres board.

You have implied Eichel is a better leader multiple times in this thread by stating he takes ownership of his team and use it to mock Matthews. You say he would get booed by Buffalo fans for his attitude. Are you not trying to imply Matthews is a bad leader due to this?
He’s just sour that his team wound up with Eichel instead of Marner in the 2015 draft.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Since he got traded? I don't think so. But, he lost it on Feschuk and within reason once. He also got testy with them about how they wrote about Dion. But, he never said anything about it making him not wanting to be a Maple Leaf.

Either way, he still enjoys Toronto and comes back in the off-season.

I can't think of a big name player who requested a trade out of here in the past 2 decades because they didn't like it.
You think Phil and Dion were sad to leave?

Here's a tip: it's way less about the city and way more about the team. You think Paul Stastny would have waived to play for Winnipeg 2 seasons ago?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
That’s a bunch of BS; if this was Crosby or any other star player, you’d be calling them out. But it’s cool when a guy on your team does it? Give me a break. It’s an immature move from an immature player on a joke of a team.
You clearly aren't familiar with the type of hockey fan I am.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Absolutely he has.. But Bruins are just a better team and they have shut down all the Leafs

Men VS Boys... Leafs have some serious tinkering to do this offseason to prepare for next season and future

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There's really no reason to attack the team.
Why? They’ve been irrelevant since the league expanded from 6 teams in friggin 1967. The Matthews apologists keep saying the team could have told him to not address the media. Shame on him if he can’t compose himself for an interview, it’s part of the job. He deserves criticism for his play and then this little stunt as well.

I hate the Bruins but I can’t help but root from them because many Leafs’ fans are insufferable. Another first round exit ought to humble them a bit, but I’m sure they’ll just blame it on the playoff format.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yup. He has. I feel bad for the kid. But he is just a kid and he's playing against a stellar team in Boston.

I'm sure he's pretty down on himself. I believe in him to figure this all out eventually.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Why? They’ve been irrelevant since the league expanded from 6 teams in friggin 1967. The Matthews apologists keep saying the team could have told him to not address the media. Shame on him if he can’t compose himself for an interview, it’s part of the job. He deserves criticism for his play and then this little stunt as well.

I hate the Bruins but I can’t help but root from them because many Leafs’ fans are insufferable. Another first round exit ought to humble them a bit, but I’m sure they’ll just blame it on the playoff format.

Why? Because this thread is about Matthews, not the Leafs. Take your hate elsewhere.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Yep. Who cares? For all we know, it was Lou or Babcock that made the call. It's well documented that they've been trying to protect certain players when it comes to the media. Whether it was them or Matthews that made the decision, it doesn't bother me one bit. No need for media distractions right now.
I’m not going to hammer Matthews as hard as the Pens dude, but for how often we hear about Austin’s leadership being one of his best attributes, the optics of refusing to speak to the media after a tough loss don’t look so great.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I’m not going to hammer Matthews as hard as the Pens dude, but for how often we hear about Austin’s leadership being one of his best attributes, the optics of refusing to speak to the media after a tough loss don’t look so great.

Do we know it was Matthews who declined?

Zero Requiem

Only death is eternal
Jul 3, 2014
Why are people surprised by Matthews being invisible in the playoffs? The kid is not a winner, just look at how he performed at the WJC and in the NLA playoffs.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Mick Riddleton

Boomer : This, gentlemen, is no time to think.
Apr 24, 2017
If he had half the heart DeBrusk had he would be better so far. Seems Chara is not done as the Leafs fans laughed about earlier. McAvoy and Chara are working that line big time.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This is on Kadri more than Matthews. He made the kid's job that much harder. Leafs will be back next year and much better if they find themselves another good defenseman. And theyre not technically dead yet so there's that

Reactions: Whileee

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's getting hammered on radio talk shows this morning. It's not unexpected. Win in Toronto, then you are the greatest thing since sliced bread, lose in Toronto, then you are a bum. Neither are correct, this is why it is important to have balance. He is still the best Leafs player, but no excuses he's had a rough playoffs. I think the play that really symbolizes his play best this playoffs, is on the winning goal scored by Marchand last night. He just coasted on that play. It is easier to excuse physical errors, and not so much engagement errors.

Reactions: Loosie

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

It was a team decision, not Matthews.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Most the people posting in here don’t have a reference point because they don’t watch him enough to know if he is or isn’t. Leafs fans would know, and Leafs fans will tell you he is struggling. And if they don’t, they’re lying.

He was engaged in game 2 and 3, and pretty much invisible in games 1 and 4. And it’s less he’s being shut down than he’s just not playing his game and seems to be floating.

Don’t know why, but i’m not concerned for the long term, the Bruins are a top notch team who he’s never played particularly well against.

Reactions: Loosie

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I don’t see why that would matter. If he really wanted to, he would have addressed the media.

Lord have mercy if someone like Eichel or McDavid ever do this.

Unless you know, his boss told him he can't.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Do we know it was Matthews who declined?
If the Leafs' management or coaches prevented him from meeting with the media, then they are making things worse for him, which would be foolish. I don't think they're foolish.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Yup. He has. I feel bad for the kid. But he is just a kid and he's playing against a stellar team in Boston.

I'm sure he's pretty down on himself. I believe in him to figure this all out eventually.

If he learns from this, and I think he will, he will end up being a better player because of it. I just think he is too good to not come out the other side without having this experience add to his game.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Why are people surprised by Matthews being invisible in the playoffs? The kid is not a winner, just look at how he performed at the WJC and in the NLA playoffs.

Matthews was picked as C in the WJC all-star team.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
If the Leafs' management or coaches prevented him from meeting with the media, then they are making things worse for him, which would be foolish. I don't think they're foolish.

Lou is known to run quite tight ship. It wouldn't be out of character for him to tell Matthews to not talk to media.

Anyways, the entire thing is way blown out of proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad