Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The issue I have with the term generational is that there is no widely accepted definition and these discussions always follow semantics on the definition itself.

As long as generational means 5 different things it doesn't actually mean anything.
The label is ridiculous and just being used to criticize instead of appreciate this kid's talents. I guarantee the schmucks writing paragraph after paragraph about Bedard here didn't watch him play for any significant time and are almost entirely looking at the stat sheet.

I saw this happen in the McDavid threads for years and was a little guilty of it myself. I've come to regret it since 2021 because it just robbed me of enjoying #97's immense talent. It's a complete waste of time to nitpick the games of these caliber of players. @MuckOG , @WhiskeyYerTheDevils , and the like are doing it to satiate themselves because Brock f***ing Faber didn't win a Calder. The Calder, probably the 3rd least important trophy to win. Change your poopy diapers and enjoy watching Bedard.

The kid is going to be just fine. This will be a big season for him as he has some better linemate options to open up more space for him and finish chances he creates for them. I'll have a better idea of what to expect from him after seeing him with a hopefully full and healthy season playing with NHLers. Meanwhile us Hawks fans have no such "generational" label on him whatsoever. We're just excited to watch someone with such incredible talent.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
The label is ridiculous and just being used to criticize instead of appreciate this kid's talents. I guarantee the schmucks writing paragraph after paragraph about Bedard here didn't watch him play for any significant time and are almost entirely looking at the stat sheet.

I saw this happen in the McDavid threads for years and was a little guilty of it myself. I've come to regret it since 2021 because it just robbed me of enjoying #97's immense talent. It's a complete waste of time to nitpick the games of these caliber of players. @MuckOG , @WhiskeyYerTheDevils , and the like are doing it to satiate themselves because Brock f***ing Faber didn't win a Calder. The Calder, probably the 3rd least important trophy to win. Change your poopy diapers and enjoy watching Bedard.

The kid is going to be just fine. This will be a big season for him as he has some better linemate options to open up more space for him and finish chances he creates for them. I'll have a better idea of what to expect from him after seeing him with a hopefully full and healthy season playing with NHLers. Meanwhile us Hawks fans have no such "generational" label on him whatsoever. We're just excited to watch someone with such incredible talent.

Nobody is not appreciating Bedard's talent. Again, somehow it's become an insult to say Bedard could be the next Kane, Kucherov or Datsyuk. If we don't automatically consider him the next McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin we aren't "appreciating his talent"?

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The issue isn’t with projecting him as such. The issue is with many people definitively saying he won’t be in that tier because he didn’t start fast enough for them on a terrible team as an extremely young and immature player. I can just imagine what these people would have been saying about Jagr’s ceiling after his first and second year. It’s very closed minded.

Jagr also played on the 3rd and 4th line his first few seasons but still had an elite playoff run as a 19 year old because he was stuck behind Lemieux and a dynasty of HOF Canadian players on the depth chart. I agree to an extent that of course it’s not written in stone that he can’t attain that level, but when you consider that players like McDavid and Crosby made pretty massive improvements on where they already were as 18 and 19 year olds - which to put simply Bedard is really nowhere close to at this moment - the level of improvement he’d have to make as an overall player would be nearly unprecedented even for someone with his obvious offensive gifts and draft pedigree. You have to realize many analysts and even people I’ve discussed this with who have played hockey at a high level - even those who have stated Bedard was as good if not better than McDavid as a 17 year old in Junior - have more or less said it’s a foregone conclusion he won’t dominate in the NHL like McDavid has because of the obvious skating advantage McDavid has over everyone else. That’s why it’s more realistic IMO to expect a Kucherov type that can still be an offensive dynamo but not the hands down best player in the game for close to a decade.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The issue I have with the term generational is that there is no widely accepted definition and these discussions always follow semantics on the definition itself.

As long as generational means 5 different things it doesn't actually mean anything.
There really was nothing to discuss until some ppl came along and decided to argue that Bedard wasn't generational.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Nobody is not appreciating Bedard's talent. Again, somehow it's become in insult to say Bedard could be the next Kane, Kucherov or Datsyuk. If we don't automatically consider him the next McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin we aren't "appreciating his talent"?
Whiskey and yourself are constantly arguing against Bedard's abilities. All over some stupid label. Go back and count all of your posts in this thread, let alone the Calder thread last year. It's like a dissertation at this point. Blah blah blah defense, +/-, PPG, etc...you think these are arguments in your case but all it shows me is you have no context to your argument. If you really watched him last year you'd see the sky is the limit for this kid.

All over some stupid label stemming from Bedard tearing up the CHL and junior tournaments. At the end of the day it's all you're doing and I'm telling you that I was doing the same in a lot of Connor McDavid threads for years and looking back on it all it was entirely stupid of me. You're depriving yourself of enjoying watching him whether you realize it or not, you probably don't watch him anyway so that point may be moot anyway. You two are endlessly spouting off against some stupid fan-made narrative about him being the next great player in the league.

TLDR: It's too early to tell and both of you couldn't be more obnoxious in these discussions

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Whiskey and yourself are constantly arguing against Bedard's abilities. All over some stupid label. Go back and count all of your posts in this thread, let alone the Calder thread last year. It's like a dissertation at this point. Blah blah blah defense, +/-, PPG, etc...you think these are arguments in your case but all it shows me is you have no context to your argument. If you really watched him last year you'd see the sky is the limit for this kid.

All over some stupid label stemming from Bedard tearing up the CHL and junior tournaments. At the end of the day it's all you're doing and I'm telling you that I was doing the same in a lot of Connor McDavid threads for years and looking back on it all it was entirely stupid of me. You're depriving yourself of enjoying watching him whether you realize it or not, you probably don't watch him anyway so that point may be moot anyway. You two are endlessly spouting off against some stupid fan-made narrative about him being the next great player in the league.

TLDR: It's too early to tell and both of you couldn't be more obnoxious in these discussions

You won't find a post in this thread where I state that Bedard won't be a great player.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Crow

May 19, 2014
He is stating that Bedard already is generational. And comparing Bedard to Kane or Kucherov is like comparing McDavid to Jonathon Toews.
Yeah I’ve taken issue with a lot of what that guy said but it doesn’t excuse some of the other bs in this thread.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Except both of those players were far better than Bedard is at the same age. There are legitimate obvious factors why Crosby and McDavids dominance translate better in the NHL, McDavids speed and overall skating ability and same with Crosby except his otherworldly lower body strength and puck protection more so than being the fastest player, although he wasn’t far from that before the high ankle sprain either. Bedard can be a Kane or a Kucherov, perhaps slightly better. I would say prepare for disappointment if you’re expecting a contender for 5th best player of all-time which is what Crosby and McDavid are.
But how do you square the argument that he can't become as good as Crosby and McDavid because they were better at the same age, but can only become as good as Kane or a tiny bit better when he has always been clearly better than Kane at the same age?

Reactions: Brookbank

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Rank v peers (min 20gp)GretzkyLemieuxCrosbyMcDavidBedard
Points per game rank1st9th6th3rd58th
Goals per game rank9th12th19th37th88th
82 game scoring pace142p112p107p91p75p

One of these things is not like the others.

Lafreniere was very poor in his first few years, but you'll have to quote me where I said he had no chance to still become a very good player - his biggest issue was his lack of engagement and hesitation to make plays quickly - Laviolette has been a huge factor in helping him turn the corner and its great to see.

My initial projection of him was to become a 70-80 point power winger. My draft comparison was a more skilled, less physical Landeskog (without the toughness) and people called me a hater. Seems pretty accurate at this point, no?

Maybe I'll win the lottery tomorrow, and maybe I won't.

That's how you sound.

I don't know about other people, personally I believe you are a hater because you continue to go significantly out of your way to continue to broadcast some version of "there is no chance Bedard will be generational because his rookie year production was comparatively low." And here you are lecturing me on how you think I sound. Has it ever occurred to you that no one listens to haters?

Bedard just finished his rookie year and is 19 years old. As everyone knows, plenty of generational athletes don't dominate every step of the way -- Michael Jordan (at 21) went 3rd overall in the draft, his first couple years were nothing special. Tom Brady went #199 overall. Djokovic took forever to start beating Roger and Rafa, now with Rafa retiring Novak is going to finish with more hardware / weeks at number one than either of those guys, and also a better head to head record against both.

Your argument is dumb. I also think you're a hater, but that's not my primary point here, you're the one who brought that up.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
And with Palffy and Recchi gone, Crosby scored 33 points in his final 19 games of the season, a 142 point pace with Andy Hilbert and Colby Armstrong as his wingers. In those 19 games, he built up a 13 point lead on the next highest scoring Penguin, which prorates to 56 points over an 82 game season.

He only played 8 less games than Kurashev, and only 80 less minutes. He was never going to come close to the type of separation we saw from Sid. Give him those games/minutes back and he maybe scores 13-15 more points than Kurashev in 75 games.

Crosby created that same gap in 19 games.

What's your excuse for him scoring less goals and goals per 60 than Jason Dickinson? I noticed you completely ignored that. I'd love to hear your excuses for his WC play as well, but I'm sure that'll be ignored

It's funny watching people like you simultaneously worship at the altar of junior hockey stats while attempting to discredit actual NHL performance.

It’s almost as if Crosby didn’t have his progress as a rookie derailed by exiting with an injury in the first half and sitting for six weeks, played for a team that scored 65 more goals, and had 260 more PPOs. We’ll never know what an uninterrupted rookie campaign would have looked like for Bedard, but based on what he showed while playing, 90 points seemed likely.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
But how do you square the argument that he can't become as good as Crosby and McDavid because they were better at the same age, but can only become as good as Kane or a tiny bit better when he has always been clearly better than Kane at the same age?

No he could become that good, but it makes more sense to have him above Kane and Kucherov somewhat, but below Crosby. I also hope I am wrong and he is the next Crosby to be perfectly honest with you. More or less he looks as good to me as rookie Kane and not close to rookie Crosby after his 1st NHL season. We’ll see how he does in year two.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
Lemieux put up 100 points as an 18 year old and Jagr is not a generational player, IMO. Also, I'm not going to consider stats from the 1940's....it was a completely different game back then.
Lemieux didnt play a game in the NHL when he was 18. He was in the QMJHL.

In no way do I think Bedard will be close to Lemieux Mcdavid Gretzky but he could push for 100 points this year. Thats not out of the question.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
No he could become that good, but it makes more sense to have him above Kane and Kucherov somewhat, but below Crosby. I also hope I am wrong and he is the next Crosby to be perfectly honest with you. More or less he looks as good to me as rookie Kane and not close to rookie Crosby after his 1st NHL season. We’ll see how he does in year two.
That's an evolved statement from saying he could be Kane or slightly better. The large majority of people are quite aware that the McDavid-Crosby level is not going to be easy for Bedard to reach, but there's a substantial gap between those guys and Kane.

No one is equating Jack Hughes with Crosby, Ovechkin, and McDavid.

The point was obvious to anyone who cared to grasp it.

Reactions: Waterbuf

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Nobody is not appreciating Bedard's talent. Again, somehow it's become an insult to say Bedard could be the next Kane, Kucherov or Datsyuk. If we don't automatically consider him the next McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin we aren't "appreciating his talent"?
Linemates make a huge difference. Look who McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin had versus what Bedard has to work with. That itself will drag down his performance even if he is capable of more.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Kane is likely retiring with 1400-1500 career points, good for top 20 all time, amongst all of his other accolades. So all this bickering is over some gap between Patrick Kane and Crosby/McDavid??? Seems like a lot of bickering over some meager difference.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
This whole thing came up because there's some Jack Hughs fans who want to argue that Jack Hughs is the best player in the league , of this new crop. Which is fine. But there's Bedard. One way to accomplish this is to cut Bedard down a bit.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Kane is likely retiring with 1400-1500 career points, good for top 20 all time, amongst all of his other accolades. So all this bickering is over some gap between Patrick Kane and Crosby/McDavid??? Seems like a lot of bickering over some meager difference.
Alex Semin tried to argue that Kane was better than Crosby. Either way , there is a gap. Generational or not.

Semin: What’s so special about Crosby?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad