Has Connor Bedard quietly became underrated ?

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
The irony of this post is that in your attempt to say he’s underrated, you are, in fact, overrating him.

Reactions: MuckOG

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Just reading the title, my original answer was no, after going through some of these comments, my answer might be yes. He's at the very least being underestimated by a lot of posters in here anyway as far as his ceiling is concerned.

Reactions: Brookbank

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
...and Faber played the last 2 months of the season with broken ribs.
Gotta wonder when these Faber Drivers are gonna stop trying to find a way to meritlessly inject their boy into these sacred Bedard diatribes, when there are so many more enticing players to cross-project.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Gotta wonder when these Faber Drivers are gonna stop trying to find a way to meritlessly inject their boy into these sacred Bedard diatribes, when there are so many more enticing players to cross-project.

It's certainly not without merit to reply to someone who said that Bedard won the Calder despite the broken jaw and sat out with the fact that Faber, a finalist for the award, didn't sit out but PLAYED the final 2 months of the season with fractured ribs.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
I'm sorry, maybe I missed it....but when did junior numbers become a criteria for the Calder trophy?

Obviously, Bedard will be a better player than Cliff Ronning, but you are the one that keeps touting his "generational" junior numbers, not me.

I think Kane is a good comparable. Both offensively great, but a little on the smaller side, physically. Bedard might end up with slightly better numbers. Kane is a career PPG and an overall elite player (and one of my favorite all time players), not sure why that comparison offends you.
It doesn't offend me. But i think it's like comparing Mcdavid to Johnathan Teows in 2015.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It doesn't offend me. But i think it's like comparing Mcdavid to Johnathan Teows in 2015.

It's nothing like that at all. Bedard is NOT the next McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin. If you think Bedard will finish his career on that level, I'm sorry, but you are definitely overrating him.

Patrick Kane is an all-time elite player in this league....on a much higher tier than Toews. To be compared with Kane (a future first ballot HOFer) should be a compliment, not an insult. Since 2005, he is the 4th highest scorer in the NHL.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What do you mean upsell Jack Hughes?

Connor Bedard will mature more and become a better player. Currently Jack Hughes is one of the best players in the league. (- Signed NYR fan)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's nothing like that at all. Bedard is NOT the next McDavid, Crosby or Ovechkin. If you think Bedard will finish his career on that level, I'm sorry, but you are definitely overrating him.

Patrick Kane is an all-time elite player in this league....on a much higher tier than Toews. To be compared with Kane should be a compliment, not an insult.
Kane is a lower tier than Kucherov for peak, prime, playoffs, all-time listing etc

Bedards best case comparison is is Kucherov a guy 1 or 2 seasons away from being top 20-30 all time

Kane wasnt consistent enough early on and Bedard should be a better defensive player then kane was.

Kucherov is his max ceiling

Kane is his expected ceiling

Kariya (based off injuries not what he should have become if healthy) is a disapointment ceiling

Anything less than Kariya player all time and he isnt even a franchise 1OA pick (he would be a generational player if he reaches kucherov level in a year or two)

He wont be a Crosby/OV/Mcdavid level player all time

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Bedard was never expected to be on the level of Sid or McDavid, he was hyped up as the next best thing, however.

He's essentially Kaner with AM34's shot and playing at center.
He definitely was on these boards.

Som people were saying 90-100 point rookie season.

The hype was through the roof.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We’ll see about him at center. I really don’t think it matters if he plays C or not. He will drive the game and I think the idea that guys that don’t play C somehow failed is crazy. Seems pretty Canadian driven that the best players all have to be at C. Isn’t that way in Europe or Russia.

He also out scored Jack Hughes first two seasons in his first season, in like half the games. So being “lucky” to be better than Jack Hughes seems like an awfully shallow prediction at this stage.

Yeah Hughes isn’t a good example for judging by his first few seasons though. When he was healthy last year he looked to me like the most dominant offensive forward besides the big 4 or 5. He was buzzing in the offensive zone and creating chances like MacK and McDavid before his early season injury.

That said, yes I have Bedard not only getting to his level but perhaps as soon as later on this very season. Don’t believe there will be a huge gap between them throughout much of their primes though, and that speaks more to how good I believe Hughes is than some slight against Bedard.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He definitely was on these boards.

Som people were saying 90-100 point rookie season.

The hype was through the roof.

He could’ve done that in a healthy season on a decent team though. Either way I think he’s good for 90+ this year with a full seasons worth of games

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Only people that were saying that were the people who didn't look at who his teammates were.
Doesn't mean people weren't massively hyping the hell out of this kid. He was absolutely seen as the next McDavid going into the draft.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Doesn't mean people weren't massively hyping the hell out of this kid. He was absolutely seen as the next McDavid going into the draft.
Yeah, still has tons of room to grow, 3rd youngest player in the NHL. McDavids rookie season wasn't some spectacular season either. Not saying he will become that, but i'm not sure what his rookie season even tells us in the long term.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Rookie Bedard was eight months younger than rookie Kane.

Rookie Bedard played on a team that scored a paltry 179 goals; rookie Kane's team scored 239 goals.

Nonetheless, rookie Bedard had a slightly higher points-per-game advantage and a more significant ES points per game advantage over rookie Kane.

Bedard has always been better than Kane was at the same age and there's no reason to believe that he won't continue to be better as his career progresses. I don't agree with any of this talk that Kane is his ceiling. Kane is his floor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad