Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2013-2014 Part 3

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
No, that wouldn't have done it. It's quite common for junior clubs to cut deals with top prospects giving them free education if hockey don't work out. My co-worker his son was projected 1st overall pick in '06 Q draft. He was going to university, which made him slide to Rimouski at 5th overall. To sign him the Oceanic signed a deal paying for his eduation up to 4 years of university at school of his choosing.

Leblanc has got bad advice, and made wrong decisions in his hockey career. He lost 2 years of crucial development

His parents were his advisers back then, and to them, school is VERY important.

How could they be so selfish to us Habs fans?:sarcasm:

:shakehead

Last edited:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would at least try Leblanc with some reasonable line mates in the AHL before dumping him as a bust. He may be bottom 6 in the NHL but I doubt playing bottom 6 in the AHL is getting him ready for that. Just like you don't (and the habs did, Dumont Fortier, Nattinen, what's his name big guy who left edit: Enqvist) draft defensive forwards out of junior, you don't choose bottom 6 AHLers for your bottom 6 in the NHL.

Even your bottom 6 in the NHL should be able to score in lower leagues.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
For those who watch Hamilton regularly...what's the deal with Greg Pateryn?

Just going over his stats....how does the guy go from scoring 6 TOTAL goals in 4 seasons in the CCHA to scoring 16 goals in his first 80 AHL games?

Does he have offensive abilities? Or just a canon of a shot? Do you see him as an NHLer? Seems to me that the Habs are going to have 3 young guys (Beaulieu, Tinordi and Pateryn) seriously knocking on the door next season for at least part time NHL duty, if not full time.

Pateryn most likely didn't see much ice time on PP at Michigan (Montreal could confirm). Michigan is a top hockey program in the NCAA and they have had guys like Merrill, Summers, Moffie, Kampfer, Langlais and Vaughan who were all at the time better offensive D than Greg. Most of Pateryn's offense comes from his Booming slapper.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
No, that wouldn't have done it. It's quite common for junior clubs to cut deals with top prospects giving them free education if hockey don't work out. My co-worker his son was projected 1st overall pick in '06 Q draft. He was going to university, which made him slide to Rimouski at 5th overall. To sign him the Oceanic signed a deal paying for his eduation up to 4 years of university at school of his choosing.

Leblanc has got bad advice, and made wrong decisions in his hockey career. He lost 2 years of crucial development

I think it breaks down further to any Canadian school. Most guys who leave junior want to keep playing hockey and once u play a game of junior you can't play in the NCAA while u can in the CIS. A lot of junior players attend university while they're playing to. I think Mccaron takes classes at Western

I can't see the Rimouski footing the bill for Yale or Harvard or a top U.S university after junior. Maybe they would, but most junior teams dont break even.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I am going next friday game at bell center. So Beaulieu will be playing? Thats good news. Cant wait to see Ghetto flying

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Pateryn most likely didn't see much ice time on PP at Michigan (Montreal could confirm). Michigan is a top hockey program in the NCAA and they have had guys like Merrill, Summers, Moffie, Kampfer, Langlais and Vaughan who were all at the time better offensive D than Greg. Most of Pateryn's offense comes from his Booming slapper.

Pateryn didn't receive 1st pp time until his senior year, he and Mac Bennett proved he had offensive abilities that season. It's been confirmed with his play in Hamilton, always solid defensively, he rarely makes mistakes when venturing offensively.:nod:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Good news for Hab and Bulldog fans, TSN690 is going to broadcast four games starting with;

Feb.15 Texas Stars - Dallas Stars Affiliate Team
Feb. 21 Binghamton -Ottawa Senators "
Feb.22 Rochester - Buffalo Sabres "
Feb.23 San Antonio - Florida Panthers "

So meaningful Hab hockey for the "Diehard fans" bored with the Olympic extravaganza, they can watch our prospects play four games that can bring them into a playoff position, if they can win them all. Their play has been very good when playing with a full lineup, no players on loan to the Habs.:nod:

Besides the play of Sven Andrighetto, Jarred Tinordi & Nathan Beaulieu have also blossomed into the players anticipated when the Habs drafted them. Greg Pateryn's solid defensive play has rubbed off on the younger Dmen, and the added confidence has shown an offensive side to Tinordi's game.:handclap:

It should be fun watching Team Canada with Price and Subban, finally get to see Habs on Team Canada again. As well we get to watch the "Next Ones" playing AHL hockey, preparing them for next season when Hab fans see a changing of the guard on defence.:handclap:

Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn could all be in the NHL next year, with the Habs. Making room for Thrower, Bennett, Didier and possibly Jake Chelios, things are looking up for both teams as the depth is growing to pre- dynasty levels once more.:nod:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Would you deny a shot at Harvard with a promised scholarship? I certainly wouldn't.

I would, I can't stand Harvard. Horrible little fascist place.

It's the Abercrombie and Fitch of Universities. It's a Brand.

Says a lot about LL that he went there. It is not even close to being a great university any more, and survives on gangster Mainland China student sons paying 100 grand a year, and an elite reputation that is no longer deserved.

There are also increasingly urgent moral questions when one looks at Harvard:

My Singapore Chinese boss went to Harvard because his parents paid the fees. The guy cannot write one paragraph in english without making 10 mistakes. And his thinking is completely muddled. He is, in essence, not intelligent. But he graduated. From Harvard, with a professional degree.

I do all of his editing for him, and for my office. Including essentially writing his annual reports as a visiting professor at the university here, because he cannot write them properly. Just as he likely paid people to write papers for him at Harvard. With no credit.

Over time, in the wider world, people who are competent in their professions note these things. It is not just in my profession either. Harvard is becoming a joke. They evidently have no standards there.

I had the choice, and I chose McGill. Glad of it. Do not be impressed by Harvard, believe me.

I advise the young guys and girls on this board to think twice before going to Harvard. There are much better, and cheaper, choices. A Harvard degree is diminishing in value every year. My daughter will not be applying there in 12 years.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Says a lot about LL that he went there. It is not even close to being a great university any more, and survives on gangster Mainland China student sons paying 100 grand a year, and an elite reputation that is no longer deserved.

There are also increasingly urgent moral questions when one looks at Harvard:

My Singapore Chinese boss went to Harvard because his parents paid the fees. The guy cannot write one paragraph in english without making 10 mistakes. And his thinking is completely muddled. He is, in essence, not intelligent. But he graduated. From Harvard, with a professional degree.

I do all of his editing for him, and for my office. Including essentially writing his annual reports as a visiting professor at the university here, because he cannot write them properly. Just as he likely paid people to write papers for him at Harvard. With no credit.

Over time, in the wider world, people who are competent in their professions note these things. It is not just in my profession either. Harvard is becoming a joke. They evidently have no standards there.

I had the choice, and I chose McGill. Glad of it. Do not be impressed by Harvard, believe me.

I advise the young guys and girls on this board to think twice before going to Harvard. There are much better, and cheaper, choices. A Harvard degree is diminishing in value every year. My daughter will not be applying there in 12 years.

Don't you think you might be overreacting a tad little bit? You use one example to judge a whole institution.

Also, people chose universities based on the classes, the teachers, but also the reputation of the University. They want to know how their paper will be seen by companies/employers once they get their degree. This is even more true in the United States.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu

Too bad McGill did not teach you critical thinking and the limitations of a small sample size.

http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

If you choose the aggregate score, it comes in at #2. If you choose rankings by "number of citations by faculty" Harvard is #4, albeit tied at 100% with the top 8.

If you opt for this one, Harvard comes in at #1.
http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2013.html
Home>> ARWU2013>> Methodology
RankingMethodologyStatistics
Selection of Universities
Ranking Criteria and Weights
Definition of Indicators
Data Sources
Selection of Universities
ARWU considers every university that has any Nobel Laureates, Fields Medalists, Highly Cited Researchers, or papers published in Nature or Science. In addition, universities with significant amount of papers indexed by Science Citation Index-Expanded (SCIE) and Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) are also included. In total, more than 1000 universities are actually ranked and the best 500 are published on the web.

Ranking Criteria and Weights
Universities are ranked by several indicators of academic or research performance, including alumni and staff winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals, highly cited researchers, papers published in Nature and Science, papers indexed in major citation indices, and the per capita academic performance of an institution. For each indicator, the highest scoring institution is assigned a score of 100, and other institutions are calculated as a percentage of the top score. The distribution of data for each indicator is examined for any significant distorting effect; standard statistical techniques are used to adjust the indicator if necessary. Scores for each indicator are weighted as shown below to arrive at a final overall score for an institution. The highest scoring institution is assigned a score of 100, and other institutions are calculated as a percentage of the top score. An institution's rank reflects the number of institutions that sit above it.

Indicators and Weights for ARWU
Criteria Indicator Code Weight
Quality of Education Alumni of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals Alumni 10%
Quality of Faculty Staff of an institution winning Nobel Prizes and Fields Medals Award 20%
Highly cited researchers in 21 broad subject categories HiCi 20%
Research Output Papers published in Nature and Science* N&S 20%
Papers indexed in Science Citation Index-expanded and Social Science Citation Index PUB 20%
Per Capita Performance Per capita academic performance of an institution PCP 10%
Total 100%

Evidently, they neglected to poll your boss :sarcasm: .

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think it would be in LLs best interest to go back to school, he has no future in the NHL.. Worst first round pick since David Fisher.

Before anybody writes him off he should get an actual chance with NHLers in the top 9. He had a good start to the season, struggled a bit lately after being sent back down but the tools are there. Some guys do better in the NHL with good players. He definitely didn't look out of place at 20 in 11-12.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Before anybody writes him off he should get an actual chance with NHLers in the top 9. He had a good start to the season, struggled a bit lately after being sent back down but the tools are there. Some guys do better in the NHL with good players. He definitely didn't look out of place at 20 in 11-12.

He didn't look out of place a few weeks ago either.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012

No! Jeez some of you are really having a hard time with this. I'm not picking on you personally but this is an example of what we've been seeing all thread.

"if we put Louis in the ideal situation with ideal players, he'll do well !! what's the team thinking ?!?!". it should not have to come down to that, with any prospect period and if it does then he is not good enough.

He gets ample top 9 time in Hamilton and he is trash. He can't keep up. Putting him there in the NHL will not make him instantly better. It's not the players he plays with, it's not the system, it's not the coaches, it's not the homeless and gun-shot rates in Hamilton, it's not Harvard and it's reputation, it's the player HIMSELF.

When will any of you hold him accountable for his role in his own development and stop making excuses that he's been handed some sort of raw deal?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
No! Jeez some of you are really having a hard time with this. I'm not picking on you personally but this is an example of what we've been seeing all thread.

"if we put Louis in the ideal situation with ideal players, he'll do well !! what's the team thinking ?!?!". it should not have to come down to that, with any prospect period and if it does then he is not good enough.

He gets ample top 9 time in Hamilton and he is trash. He can't keep up. Putting him there in the NHL will not make him instantly better. It's not the players he plays with, it's not the system, it's not the coaches, it's not the homeless and gun-shot rates in Hamilton, it's not Harvard and it's reputation, it's the player HIMSELF.

When will any of you hold him accountable for his role in his own development and stop making excuses that he's been handed some sort of raw deal?

I'm not suggesting he's getting a raw deal, but before you write off a 1st round pick give him 8-10 games with decent NHL players and see what he can do. Gallagher had better NHL numbers than he did in the AHL last year.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc

Where I come from the ladies call it manning up, Louis isn't cutting it in Hamilton. Why would he get the icetime ahead of Andrighetto? Life is about earning your way not having it given to you on a silver platter, being blessed with talent and wasting it isn't manning up!:sarcasm:

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I'm not suggesting he's getting a raw deal, but before you write off a 1st round pick give him 8-10 games with decent NHL players and see what he can do. Gallagher had better NHL numbers than he did in the AHL last year.

It seems like you're not seeing my point.

Louis Leblanc is having a hard time in a top 6 role in the AHL. Your suggestion is that if he was playing with top 6 NHL players, he would look a lot better.

If he cannot look good in a lesser league, he will not look good in a better league. Louis Leblanc is a slow skater. That will not change in the NHL, where the players are much faster so he will in fact, look even more out of place.

You can only do so much to 'get him going'. Why doesn't louis get the others going?

Until that happens, which it hasn't and probably won't this season, he will not be in the NHL.

It reminds me of when Bob Gainey put Kovalev with Andrei Kostitsyn and Mikhail Grabovski. A reporter asked 'Do you think they will get Kovalev going?' Gainey replied
'Why is it up to them to get Alex Kovalev going? Why doesn't Alex Kovalev get THEM going? Why doesn't Alex Kovalev, get Alex Kovalev going?'

So, I ask, Why doesn't Louis Leblanc get the Bulldogs going? Why doesn't he the himself going?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
In my own mind, I am closing the book on Louis Leblanc. Bad pick from a bad draft.

Louis has effectively closed the book himself, character means just that and he seems to be lost in that regard, to the Habs detriment I might add.:( It sends the wrong message to other prospects when a player that's a 1st round pick, doesn't lead the way, moreover expects to be called upon before them, Andrighetto for instance.

Last edited:

Tinordi Ruxpin

Hey, C'mon Let's Go!
Jun 27, 2013
Moncton, NB
Louis has effectively closed the book himself, character means just that and he seems to be lost in that regard, to the Habs detriment I might add.:( It sends the wrong message to other prospects when a player that's a 1st round pick, doesn't lead the way, moreover expects to be called upon before them, Andrighetto for instance.

While it sucks to miss on a 1st round pick, I take some comfort in the fact that the 2009 1st round was a disaster. There's a few great high end players from the draft and a couple meddling character guys near the bottom, but generally, it was a terrible draft.

We weren't alone in making a bad pick.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I don't understand the Leblanc hate. He's looked like a solid two way player every time he's been in the NHL, IMO.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't understand the Leblanc hate. He's looked like a solid two way player every time he's been in the NHL, IMO.
That's why I'd give him a go next season on a 1-way $550k salary. Maybe he looks bad enough at some point (incl. in camp) to get waived. Or maybe he slots in somewhere, depending on how our summer UFA shopping goes.

He seems pretty pedestrian in the AHL... he's about 5th amongst forwards... we know St.Pierre, Dumont, Blunden aren't going to be NHLers. Thomas is about as up in the air as Leblanc. So IMHO it's really only Andrighetto amongst all of them that is a good hope at the moment and clearly better. Having Leblanc along for the ride amongst 13 or 14 forwards in the NHL next season wouldn't be end of the world, given that he does indeed seem to play at an NHL level any time he's recalled. Given his draft pedigree it might be worth investing that opportunity in him.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I for one, don't hate him but I don't really see him becoming a significant contributor to the Canadiens. It would be great if he could but it seems like there are players who have passed him in the depth chart. Andrighetto would be the first name that comes to mind in that group. In addition, there are a group of young players who haven't passed him yet but he will need to pick it up a step to stay ahead of them. These are players like Lehkonen, Bozon, McCarron, Crisp etc.

If I could package Leblanc with one of the older vets (Briere or Gionta) at the deadline to bring in a player who is a better fit, I would be tempted. My guess is that the market is pretty soft for Louis so the Habs might be better off keeping him, if they can, to see if he can further his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad