Post-Game Talk: Habs win again 3-1 Rivalry my aching ***

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Bruins need a 4th line that likes to hit and cause mayhem. Forget scoring, just hit. Just a spark plug. Got to get under the hab's skin. The habs fold when you hit them. You can't expect this team to hit when they have no forwards that do that with the exception of Lucic. Kelly had the best hit of the night on Gonchar. Pasta's was more incidental than anything. Most Bruins showed passion, but didn't know what to do with it. Wish we could get a guy like Marcus Foligno for the 4th line.

PS liked how Weise declined Lucic's invitation. But Lucic should've insisted, made him turtle. Now the frustration just keep growing and the p/o isn't a place to unload. Thanks Chia & CJ for p***yfying this team.

Paille hit Gonchar not Kelly.

If Looch had continued to persue Weise he woud have been tossed out.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Smith is a serious problem at the moment and what he forces Claude to do. Attitude is too robotic,too mechanical,very little life,lots of poor execution. Some talent has decreased and other talent is immature. My first attempt at fixing it would be attitude.

Smith has skill, he makes incredible, individual plays on occasion, but I think he has 'settle in' too much. He needs to push himself to be a difference maker, not a passenger. Playing with Bergy and Marchand may have spoiled him.

Lets get to the playoffs before we start worrying about playing them.

Good point. I've managed to convince myself we are at least making the playoffs this year. To miss would be more unbelievable than the Red Sox going from worst to first and back to worst. :)

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Back in mid-January, when many were killing Chia for not making a move yet (even though no other teams were really doing anything), I pointed to a stretch of 5 post-all star game games that would be crucial in defining where this team is at, whether they'd be making a strong push toward acquiring players that would help them win this year, or whether they'd realize this team is too far away and take some other tact...i.e. do nothing til the offseason, start to make moves now that position the team better next year, etc. This particular game, the 5th of the 5, was the one I said we'd know a lot more after.

For many here, based on last night, the sentiment is that this team sucks, but this is how the season has gone from a fan base perspective. Win a few against decent teams and it's "see, this team is a contender." Lose a crucial game or two and it's time to blow the team up.

I still think the reality is the B's are somewhere in between, and that's a tough spot to be in. You don't want to make wholesale changes to a team that's in playoff position but doesn't appear to have what it takes to go deep in the playoffs. But at the same time, you don't want to totally blow up a team that is in a playoff spot and could, maybe, win a round. The catch 22 is that bandaids and marginal changes, i.e. bringing in a RW (Chris Stewart or whoever), aren't going to have much impact.

I had hoped this game would be significantly defining, maybe the B's crush the Habs and we could say "alright Front Office, add a piece or two and let's go for it." Based upon last night's game, I'm not optimistic. Despite beating LA once and the Islanders twice, the Bruins lost to the Rangers (not a great effort, imo) and the Canadiens (not a great effort at all). I hate to say it, but Chia may be back to "wtf do I even have for a team?" mode, and be not inclined to run out and do anything immediately...which could mean more waiting. My gut says something comes next week...a Vermette or Stafford type of player or something along those lines..but not much more than that. A move that marginally improves the team, but is fairly risk-free, not affecting the team much for next year.

From there, if the B's fall apart heading to the deadline (I don't think they will, they'll get their share of wins vs. Vancouver, the Oilers, etc. and an occasional win against a decent team and be able to hold onto the 8 seed), they'll be sellers at the deadline. If they perform well up to the deadline, they'll stand pretty much pat, understanding that they're just not that good. So get a deal done a couple weeks before the deadline (appeases the masses), see what that move does for the team, and then decide whether to sit or sell. My expectation anyway.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

I think Looch needs to get it out of the way. The buildup is getting to Komisarek-Lucic level, but only Lucic is willing here and when he eventually snaps after even more buildup, it won't be pretty. Better get it over with sooner than later. Take a 2 game suspension instead of 15.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Thread on Habs board says it all: Another easy win over the Bruins.

If I'm Chia, I'm picking a style and building the team for that style. If that Awful Gary Bettman continues to destroy the league by making it a combination of college/Euro hockey, then you need to go for speed/skill/finesse, a la Les Habitants, (which, it was pointed out during last night's NBC broadcast, is a team with almost 50% new faces in the lineup). The Montreal braintrust had a plan. We don't seem to have one.

If the league were to revert to the NHL of the last Century (which I, personally, would love to see, but doubt it would happen), then the big bodied tough guy approach would be where I would aim. From the looks of things, Sugar Shawn, LoochTrain and the Little Ball of Hate types are probably not going to win Championships. And, if they're handcuffed during games like last night's, then what's the frickin point of having them on the squad (and that's really difficult to write because I absolutely love Marchand, and Lucic).

We are screwed for this season, and probably next, as well, thanks to our lack of strategic vision and managerial missteps vis-à-vis the salary cap.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Bruins need a 4th line that likes to hit and cause mayhem. Forget scoring, just hit. Just a spark plug. Got to get under the hab's skin. The habs fold when you hit them. You can't expect this team to hit when they have no forwards that do that with the exception of Lucic. Kelly had the best hit of the night on Gonchar. Pasta's was more incidental than anything. Most Bruins showed passion, but didn't know what to do with it. Wish we could get a guy like Marcus Foligno for the 4th line.

PS liked how Weise declined Lucic's invitation. But Lucic should've insisted, made him turtle. Now the frustration just keep growing and the p/o isn't a place to unload. Thanks Chia & CJ for p***yfying this team.

Cunningham had a couple real nice hits, well timed and hard... i think the kid was made for the 4th line personally. And he's very impressive at the dot when he does take draws, too. But overall i do share your sentiment.

It's too bad he wasn't a little more patient with the puck -- easier said than done with Price way out of position -- when Bournival made the save(s) of the game. Between Cunny's chances and Paille's [at least one] blown chance per game our 4th line had the some of our best looks to put it past the goal line.

Paille appears to have lost whatever finesse or finish he had in his game; love Danny Boy but it's getting downright painful to watch. He is fighting it, and is clearly snake-bit, but i can almost feel his over-reactive nerves from my couch!!!

I'm losing any faith that he can keep a cool head and maneuver the puck in tight spots to take advantage of opportunities. He was never good at it, and now he's devolved into a Luis Mendoza who is better at stopping (another D2 reference :laugh:). I am baffled, he still thinks the game well and his speed/forecheck is nice... but at what point do you consider his contract to NOT really be the bargain it's been for the Boston Bruins in the past few years??

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
They should bring up Knight from Prov. He can provide that Gallagher esq energy. He hits. He goes to the net. Not afraid to get in the goalies face. Unfortunately, Bruce Cassidy has neutered him. But he was a great pker in juniors and an outstanding shootout guy just in case. Put him on the fourth line and watch him help this team.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
They should bring up Knight from Prov. He can provide that Gallagher esq energy. He hits. He goes to the net. Not afraid to get in the goalies face. Unfortunately, Bruce Cassidy has neutered him. But he was a great pker in juniors and an outstanding shootout guy just in case. Put him on the fourth line and watch him help this team.

Jacobs needs to go in and tell them to play Knight on the fourth line and let him play with reckless abandon. This team needs to be entertaining at the very least.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
I think the Bruins just need to say "**** it we're playing our game. If we get called we get called". They're going to get called anyway so they might as well get called playing their game instead of Montreal's.

When the Bruins first started going on their little hot streak a month ago it seemed to coincide perfectly with an attitude of not giving a **** and just taking tons of penalties.

Guess what the Bruins of a few years ago who actually won did? They took **** loads of penalties but didn't care because they beat down their opponents and won.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Cunningham had a couple real nice hits, well timed and hard... i think the kid was made for the 4th line personally. And he's very impressive at the dot when he does take draws, too. But overall i do share your sentiment.

It's too bad he wasn't a little more patient with the puck -- easier said than done with Price way out of position -- when Bournival made the save(s) of the game. Between Cunny's chances and Paille's [at least one] blown chance per game our 4th line had the some of our best looks to put it past the goal line.

Paille appears to have lost whatever finesse or finish he had in his game; love Danny Boy but it's getting downright painful to watch. He is fighting it, and is clearly snake-bit, but i can almost feel his over-reactive nerves from my couch!!!

I'm losing any faith that he can keep a cool head and maneuver the puck in tight spots to take advantage of opportunities. He was never good at it, and now he's devolved into a Luis Mendoza who is better at stopping (another D2 reference :laugh:). I am baffled, he still thinks the game well and his speed/forecheck is nice... but at what point do you consider his contract to NOT really be the bargain it's been for the Boston Bruins in the past few years??
Agree with all your points. Like Cunnigham's compete level, and I would be fine with him on the 4th line if he was flanked by M.Foligno & Winnik or even Peluso. Always loved Paille. Great team guy, keeps the dressing room light. But this year has been terrible for him. Maybe its time for him as well. A solid 4th line would keep guys like Weise busy IMO. That's why Mtl got him in the 1st place, to deal with our 4th line. Never anticipating that he would turn into a Bruin killer lol. Bottom line is we need more energy from the 4th line. Something that would wake up the rest of the team.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Thread on Habs board says it all: Another easy win over the Bruins.

If I'm Chia, I'm picking a style and building the team for that style. If that Awful Gary Bettman continues to destroy the league by making it a combination of college/Euro hockey, then you need to go for speed/skill/finesse, a la Les Habitants, (which, it was pointed out during last night's NBC broadcast, is a team with almost 50% new faces in the lineup). The Montreal braintrust had a plan. We don't seem to have one.

If the league were to revert to the NHL of the last Century (which I, personally, would love to see, but doubt it would happen), then the big bodied tough guy approach would be where I would aim. From the looks of things, Sugar Shawn, LoochTrain and the Little Ball of Hate types are probably not going to win Championships. And, if they're handcuffed during games like last night's, then what's the frickin point of having them on the squad (and that's really difficult to write because I absolutely love Marchand, and Lucic).

We are screwed for this season, and probably next, as well, thanks to our lack of strategic vision and managerial missteps vis-à-vis the salary cap.

While i agree with much of your post... i think Chia can clearly see the writing on the wall. Regardless of his personal tastes/opinions about how a championship hockey team should be built, as a GM it's gotta be hard to ignore the rapid steps being taken to lessen -- even eliminate altogether -- the role of tough guys/enforcers in the game.

When Mike Milbury starts talking about the danger of fighting (channeling his NBCSN bosses) and the "unacceptable risks" involved with that aspect of the game, or allowing that aspect to remain, then you know the Bruins teams of yesteryear were modeled on an outdated blueprint.

It's not that the Bruin mentality is wrong... just that they are eliminating the value of a Shawn Thornton, for example, and the role of such players in a SC Playoff run.

I liken it to when YouTube, Google, Yahoo, etc. ask if you want to switch to a new format or allow a certain new feature to be used. They give you an option at first, always. Then they keep asking you... making sure to tell you why you should, while presenting the "No Thanks" option in as small of a font as possible/legal.

This goes on for a bit. Then, one day the new format/feature quietly and unceremoniously becomes the default. No questions, not even a statement usually. They just wanted you to THINK or FEEL LIKE you had any choice in the matter :shakehead -- in fact, the decision was made a long time ago. That is how i feel this will play out with Bettman and the NHL.

Chia may have realized his formula for success is based on the soon-to-be [or becoming] obsolete way of building/maintaining a hockey team. So rather than make wholesale changes all at once... this is a process. The team is slowly changing whether Chia really believes in this change or not. Fact is, the LEAGUE is changing.

He probably realizes what you said about there being no point paying someone for a role that will only serve to hurt the team in the long run. I have no idea how he feels about this but he is a businessman and times are changing...

"Chia's personal journey for the truth"

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
While i agree with much of your post... i think Chia can clearly see the writing on the wall. Regardless of his personal tastes/opinions about how a championship hockey team should be built, as a GM it's gotta be hard to ignore the rapid steps being taken to lessen -- even eliminate altogether -- the role of tough guys/enforcers in the game.

When Mike Milbury starts talking about the danger of fighting (channeling his NBCSN bosses) and the "unacceptable risks" involved with that aspect of the game, or allowing that aspect to remain, then you know the Bruins teams of yesteryear were modeled on an outdated blueprint.

It's not that the Bruin mentality is wrong... just that they are eliminating the value of a Shawn Thornton, for example, and the role of such players in a SC Playoff run.

I liken it to when YouTube, Google, Yahoo, etc. ask if you want to switch to a new format or allow a certain new feature to be used. They give you an option at first, always. Then they keep asking you... making sure to tell you why you should, while presenting the "No Thanks" option in as small of a font as possible/legal.

This goes on for a bit. Then, one day the new format/feature quietly and unceremoniously becomes the default. No questions, not even a statement usually. They just wanted you to THINK or FEEL LIKE you had any choice in the matter :shakehead -- in fact, the decision was made a long time ago. That is how i feel this will play out with Bettman and the NHL.

Chia may have realized his formula for success is based on the soon-to-be [or becoming] obsolete way of building/maintaining a hockey team. So rather than make wholesale changes all at once... this is a process. The team is slowly changing whether Chia really believes in this change or not. Fact is, the LEAGUE is changing.

He probably realizes what you said about there being no point paying someone for a role that will only serve to hurt the team in the long run. I have no idea how he feels about this but he is a businessman and times are changing...

"Chia's personal journey for the truth"

The Bruins were one of the last teams remaining who can lead the resistance -- Philly still had a goon 4th line. Toronto still had its goon. Calgary loaded up with them in the offseason. Teams were ready, but once the Bruins backed down so quickly and easily I think it told the rest of those teams that it's over.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Sorry, you are right about Paille. And Looch should pursue him, dog him until he can't take it anymore. They wouldn't toss Lucic unless he instigated, there are different ways of "pursuing".

capebretoncanadien

Nov 29, 2008
Hi Habs fan here totally in peace...

The Bruins are our biggest rival BAR NONE I was excited all weekend for the matchup.

The Emelin/Lucic.....Weise/Lucic side plots are just gravy to go with the biscuits.

The Leafs are just putrid and have not been the Habs biggest rival for years even decades.

One of these years the numbers are going to start regressing to the mean and Rask is gonna run a long string of wins on us.

Not looking forward to that.

Anyway GG and good luck the rest of the way guys. Hopefully we get to see some of that legendary nastiness in the playoffs.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
I have to point out a couple things. Ever since the Chara and Max incident, Chara has been a shell of himself. I genuinely think that that hit really scared him. The guy is ****ing huge and can literally destroy anyone in this league and I think he knows it. So he's been holding back ever since. Gone are the days of that bomb from the point, the rag dolling of Gary Roberts and lecavalier. Chara has been done as a terror of the back end since then. And this has begun the identity crisis stage of the bruins. Maybe think of bringing back that mustachioed coach you guys had before julien? Dave Lewis? Kidding! He was awful.

Following that, the loss of boychuck and ference (I hated that guy) even iginla took away some of that passion.

Sure, you can blame the league for robbing " the bruins of their identity but I sincerely think that's a cop out. The year that followed the bruins first cup year recently, the Kings won it with the same style of game. The league does not shy on tough play. They disapprove of cheap shots. The bruins got away from their identity because they lost the players that were that identity.

Honestly, lucic has a screw loose in his head and the league probably is a little worried he might mcsorley someone. This would explain the extreme prejudice he's faced with now. I you'mean you re pretty dumb to say things like I'll ****ing kill you next year during a handshake. The league keeps a close watch on that sort of thing.

The brain thrust needs to recognize that the window has closed and it's time to start over. It's a shame you guys traded seguin because that would have been a fantastic starting piece. Might be worth considering moving Chara while you still can. I'm sure he could fetch good starting pieces.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
OK Montreal clearly outplayed the bruins last night for anyone to disagree they simply didn't watch the same game . Except for few rare times we couldn't fore check get in to Montreal zone and get out of our own zone. The last minute and a half we couldn't even get the puck past their blue line (that's embarrassing ) . As for the refs , yes they made bad calls and could we maybe score on pp in last few min , maybe but overall we deserved to lose. I must agree the calls and non calls were horrible like looch cross check and marchand penalty i do believe was a penalty but if u watch the replay subban also sold it a tone with his feet kickback and firing himself flat sideways into the boards like he was hit bu a truck , and then he instantly jumps back up and skates away . Hate that puke

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Jacobs needs to go in and tell them to play Knight on the fourth line and let him play with reckless abandon. This team needs to be entertaining at the very least.

Its upsetting that nobody and I mean NOBODY has asked the FO about the serious mismanagement of some of our prospects in Prov. But that's a whole other subject...

Knight can and should come up here. We could use his energy and his skills. Our fourth line is a mess. Cunningham is decent but we need some finesse and bang. Knight can provide that. Grab a guy like Chris Neil and that brings us back. The 4th line sets the tone. We haven't set the tone in a long time. No hitting. No relentless forechecking. We need a 4th line that can do that again. Its a big problem at the moment. Soup is cooked. He doesn't block shots. Is slow. And just looks bad. Pie is..pie. We need a change.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Seeing Max Pacioretty dash after that pass and deposit it skilllfully behind Rask sadly reminds me of the ill fated 2007 draft and the B's pick at #7, Zack Hamill. I know it's crying over spilled milk. We often talk about Logan Couture, drafted just after Hamill. But Max went #23, while Kevin Shattenkirk went in the teens. David Perron went after Max. What a shame!

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
That game last night was a depressing reality check as to where the Bruins really stand. They cannot beat that team on their best day and that sucks.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Seeing Max Pacioretty dash after that pass and deposit it skilllfully behind Rask sadly reminds me of the ill fated 2007 draft and the B's pick at #7, Zack Hamill. I know it's crying over spilled milk. We often talk about Logan Couture, drafted just after Hamill. But Max went #23, while Kevin Shattenkirk went in the teens. David Perron went after Max. What a shame!

That really was a slick move, so effortless

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I have to point out a couple things. Ever since the Chara and Max incident, Chara has been a shell of himself. I genuinely think that that hit really scared him. The guy is ****ing huge and can literally destroy anyone in this league and I think he knows it. So he's been holding back ever since. Gone are the days of that bomb from the point, the rag dolling of Gary Roberts and lecavalier. Chara has been done as a terror of the back end since then. And this has begun the identity crisis stage of the bruins. Maybe think of bringing back that mustachioed coach you guys had before julien? Dave Lewis? Kidding! He was awful.

Following that, the loss of boychuck and ference (I hated that guy) even iginla took away some of that passion.

Sure, you can blame the league for robbing " the bruins of their identity but I sincerely think that's a cop out. The year that followed the bruins first cup year recently, the Kings won it with the same style of game. The league does not shy on tough play. They disapprove of cheap shots. The bruins got away from their identity because they lost the players that were that identity.

Honestly, lucic has a screw loose in his head and the league probably is a little worried he might mcsorley someone. This would explain the extreme prejudice he's faced with now. I you'mean you re pretty dumb to say things like I'll ****ing kill you next year during a handshake. The league keeps a close watch on that sort of thing.

The brain thrust needs to recognize that the window has closed and it's time to start over. It's a shame you guys traded seguin because that would have been a fantastic starting piece. Might be worth considering moving Chara while you still can. I'm sure he could fetch good starting pieces.

Chara is deteriorating steadily before our eyes, but most Bruins fans refuse to accept it; not only has he been slow, lumbering, oft injured, unable to hold the puck in at the line and unable to shoot with velocity, he looks actually "vacant" most nights, like he's concussed or something. Trading Seguin was in insanely premature overreaction. Personnel management a the GM level, not coaching, is the Bruins' biggest failing at the moment.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It blows my mind that this team simply doesn't come to play against Montreal. You shouldn't need Redbull to get amped to play those guys...

No emotion, no nothing.

One time I used to enjoy turning on Habs/Bruins games because they would get nasty, and they would be played with intensity. Now? Now it looks like the Bruins simply don't care, or when they do start to care it's with 5 minutes to go in the game when they trail.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Chara has been a shell of himself since the Pacioretty hit? Are you kidding me?! So he was a shell of himself when the Bruins won the Stanley Cup and when they went to the Finals two years after that? That's a ridiculous statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad