Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 3-year regional tv-deal with Rogers

Wexford habs fan

Aug 16, 2014
Is that available to Bell subscribers? If not, then yes, screwed over applies in my case.

Yes Bell will also have this package.. Bell owns RDS...Bell will make money on this package...They will get a share of the $60 as the distributor that delivers the content to your home, and RDS will get a share of the $60 as the content producer.

It's all about the money

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Hackett I am not looking to pick a fight with you... I agree that it's a much more pleasant experience to watch the game on a nice big HD television screen fed by cable or satellite with a quality stable picture... So we agree on that... And you don't seem to disagree with me that $60 for the RDS package is a reasonable price (I pay Bell Satellite $7.00 month for the package that contains RDS and 99% of what I watch on RDS is Habs games)...So hopefully you and I are still on the same page... But here is where we disagree...You insist the RDS package is only for GCL...that's not accurate... Here is a cut and paste from the Rogers press conference announcement in Montreal:

In recent years, they have had access to all 82 regular-season games by subscribing to RDS as part of their cable or satellite package. Under the new deal, Rogers sold the French-language rights to TVA Sports, which will televise 22 Canadiens games. RDS retained the rights to the other 60 games, but it appeared that fans in Ontario and points west would be out of luck because RDS had become a regional network limited to Quebec, Eastern Ontario and the Atlantic Provinces.

It appeared that the only recourse for Canadiens fans was to purchase the NHL Centre Ice package for $200.

But Rogers, which has received its share of complaints from irate Canadiens fans, has provided a solution with a French-language package that provides fans access to the RDS package, which has 60 Canadiens games and 54 Ottawa Senators games.

Judging from the reaction on HIO, there seems to be a lot of confusion over the package, but here are the important points:
1.The package will be available on cable and satellite television as well as for online devices with Rogers NHL Game Centre LIVE (the NHL streaming service).
2.Fans will be able to buy the French-language package for $60 and aren’t obligated to buy the full Centre Ice TV package. If fans want the regional games in English on TV, they will have to spring for the full Centre Ice package.

The French package will give fans outside the Eastern region access to every Canadiens game this season. The 22 games not carried by RDS and any playoff games will be available across Canada on the various Rogers outlets.

In most cases, fans will be paying more than they did in the past to add RDS to their cable package, but if you do the math it comes out to $1 a game even if you pass on the Senators

And here is the quotation from Sportsnet President Scott Moore:

Scott Moore, a self-professed Canadiens fan who is the president of Sportsnet and NHL Properties for Rogers Media, was among those on hand for a news conference Wednesday in Boucherville as TVA launched its inaugural season of French-language NHL coverage.

Rogers also announced on Wednesday a new package that will allow Habs fans across the country to watch all 82 regular-season games on TV. Before Wednesday’s announcement, Canadiens fans living west of Belleville, Ont., wouldn’t have had access to the regional coverage unless they paid $200 for the NHL Centre Ice TV package.

Rogers announced Wednesday that fans outside of Montreal and Ottawa broadcast regions can now also get up to 111 games broadcast live in French, including the Canadiens (60 games) and the Senators (54 games) on both Rogers NHL Game Centre LIVE (the NHL streaming service) and on TV with NHL Centre Ice. The 60 regional Habs games and the 54 Senators games will be available for $60 to those outside the regional market.

Sorry if it was made to sound like I'm picking a fight. That was never my intention.

Thanks for the additional information. I guess the next step is to contact my provider (telus).

60 bucks gives me access to habs gcl and habs on centre ice? That's not too shabby at all.

Wexford habs fan

Aug 16, 2014
Sorry if it was made to sound like I'm picking a fight. That was never my intention.

Thanks for the additional information. I guess the next step is to contact my provider (telus).

60 bucks gives me access to habs gcl and habs on centre ice? That's not too shabby at all.

Right not bad at all. Because I split the October to April season between Toronto and Florida I am happy to spend the $60 for the RDS pack. Where we live in Florida it's Comcast cable. They carry NHL CI but they only dedicate one channel to HD. The rest of the games each night are SD. So I will probably just use HS in Florida.
By the way, I'm pretty sure you won't get BOTH NHLCI. and GC for $60. It will probably be one or the other.
Puck drops soon

Last edited:

Player 61

#Winning
Aug 4, 2007
West Island
Anyone see the New Subban-Kypreos commercial on sportsnet, funny. They Say that Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet is a self proclaimed Habs fan, Stealing the Habs English rights from TSN, must be a huge Coup!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Anyone see the New Subban-Kypreos commercial on sportsnet, funny. They Say that Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet is a self proclaimed Habs fan, Stealing the Habs English rights from TSN, must be a huge Coup!
Saw the commercial...absolutely hilarious...
Scott Moore as you say, must be absolutely dancing in the streets...but it doesn't matter to me, TVA, RDS, Sportsnet, CBC whatever...just want to watch the Habs!!

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
I have a question, hopefully someone here knows the answer before I email rogers and telus. I live in calgary and subscribe to telus optik television currently.
I can purchase a sports top up package that will give me all the regional sportsnet channels including east for only an additional $2 a month.
Will the Habs regional broadcasts be blacked out in my local even if I subscribe to this?
I know tsn montreal worked on my buddies dish the last few seasons

Oh also does anybody know the broadcast pairings for the Habs games yet?

Thanks guys

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I have a question, hopefully someone here knows the answer before I email rogers and telus. I live in calgary and subscribe to telus optik television currently.
I can purchase a sports top up package that will give me all the regional sportsnet channels including east for only an additional $2 a month.
Will the Habs regional broadcasts be blacked out in my local even if I subscribe to this?
I know tsn montreal worked on my buddies dish the last few seasons

Oh also does anybody know the broadcast pairings for the Habs games yet?

Thanks guys

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1730091

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
i hope we get randorf/johnson but i really liked randorf/reid last season :(, reid isnt with sportsnet right?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
i hope we get randorf/johnson but i really liked randorf/reid last season :(, reid isnt with sportsnet right?

I am sorry to hear that Reid isn't part of the telecast, maybe he was under contract and will join later. Randorf/Reid was a good pairing, Reid is the best analyst out there.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
This is confusing as ****.

Can people in Toronto watch the Habs with Sportsnet East etc on their TV package or not?

If I have to get some other ****ing add-on to watch the Habs (all 82 games), I'm going to stop watching hockey period.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
This is confusing as ****.

Can people in Toronto watch the Habs with Sportsnet East etc on their TV package or not?

If I have to get some other ****ing add-on to watch the Habs (all 82 games), I'm going to stop watching hockey period.

No.

You are getting 40 habs games in Toronto without a centre ice or gamecentre live package

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
That doesn't make sense.
Out of region sportsnet gets 10 games.

In region gets 39.

Wtf is the point of time shifting?
I'm not paying $60 more to watch an NHL team. Why should I? I have every Sportsnet channel. I have all channels listed on the schedule for "in-region."

I'm going to call Bell and ***** at them. This is absolutely absurd that there are blackouts because the Leafs/Sens are in the same territory. This is a massive cash grab because they know there is a massive population of Habs fans west of the "cut-off" so they will be forced to pay to watch.

**** this. Monday I'm filing a complaint with the CRTC. If you advertise times shifting/watch a show from a different broadcast(same station) then you should be able to black anything out.

Pretty sure they don't black out TV shows out west when they are aired here.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
That doesn't make sense.

In region gets 39.

I'm not paying $60 more to watch an NHL team. Why should I? I have every Sportsnet channel. I have all channels listed on the schedule for "in-region."

I'm going to call Bell and ***** at them. This is absolutely absurd that there are blackouts because the Leafs/Sens are in the same territory. This is a massive cash grab because they know there is a massive population of Habs fans west of the "cut-off" so they will be forced to pay to watch.

**** this. Monday I'm filing a complaint with the CRTC. If you advertise times shifting/watch a show from a different broadcast(same station) then you should be able to black anything out.

Has nothing to do about time shifting. I couldn't watch Oilers/Flames games on Sportsnet West last year, and I still won't be able to watch regional games, even though I have the channel. Time shifting was useful when CBC has multiple broadcasts going at the same time. Now time shifting is pretty much useless for hockey games.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
That doesn't make sense.

In region gets 39.

Welcome to the world of professional sports in North America. Blackouts are a part of it.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Has nothing to do about time shifting. I couldn't watch Oilers/Flames games on Sportsnet West last year, and I still won't be able to watch regional games, even though I have the channel. Time shifting was useful when CBC has multiple broadcasts going at the same time. Now time shifting is pretty much useless for hockey games.
I am not going to bend over.

I already subscribe to these channels. I WILL NOT pay more to use the channel at certain times.

Would you agree to buying a product, and it working 50% of the time?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006

I already subscribe to these channels. I WILL NOT pay more to use the channel at certain times.

Eh?

Where is it that it says that by subscribing to Sportsnet East you get access to regional NHL content shown on it? Just because you have certain expectations doesn't mean they're reality.

Wexford habs fan

Aug 16, 2014

Whatta ya getting your shorts in a knot for? Gonna scream at Bell. Gonna scream at the CRTC. Gonna scream at Rogers. Gonna quit watching hockey. Not gonna pay 60$ to watch all the Habs games. Geez you sound grumpy. The solution to your problem is so darn simple. You want to watch every single Habs game I assume in English and you don't want to pay?.. No problem. Move your ass to a home in the Habs region. That problem solved. Next?

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Whatta ya getting your shorts in a knot for? Gonna scream at Bell. Gonna scream at the CRTC. Gonna scream at Rogers. Gonna quit watching hockey. Not gonna pay 60$ to watch all the Habs games. Geez you sound grumpy. The solution to your problem is so darn simple. You want to watch every single Habs game I assume in English and you don't want to pay?.. No problem. Move your ass to a home in the Habs region. That problem solved. Next?
Welcome to my ignore list. Idiotic post.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Eh?

Where is it that it says that by subscribing to Sportsnet East you get access to regional NHL content shown on it? Just because you have certain expectations doesn't mean they're reality.

Where does it state in my contract or subscription that at certain times on certain days, the channel will be rendered useless for x amount of time?

Sorry when I pay for something, I expect that something to function 100% of the time.

Geez. I'm not going to argue with fans over this, since some of you are think I'm angry at you...

Christ almighty, god forbid someone complains here. Ffs.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Where does it state in my contract or subscription that at certain times on certain days, the channel will be rendered useless for x amount of time?

Sorry when I pay for something, I expect that something to function 100% of the time.

Geez. I'm not going to argue with fans over this, since some of you are think I'm angry at you...

Christ almighty, god forbid someone complains here. Ffs.

Pro sports have had blackouts since a very long time. NFL, MLB, and CFL all have certain blackout provisions.

There is a law suit on the hands of NHL and mlb down in the USA which argues that the blackout restrictions are anti competitive, but the results of that suit won't affect Canada... Although the eventual results of that suit may inspire some litigation proceedings in the Canadian courts.

As for yourself, you can still explore alternative means for broadcasting the games for free. I'm sure you'll find something, legal or not.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Well Habs games were not always on TSN in the past wheras now every National gamesof the Habs can be seen by everybody.

But just like last year, not all games will be national this year, so for us, this means actually nothing.

Actually it's worse for us. Last year we had RDS and could watch all games nationally. This year there isn't a single place we can go for all the games.

If anyone is excited by this I'd like to understand why. Maybe I'm missing something.

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal

Time shifting channels are useless now. All CBC channels will show the same game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad