LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
I don't think the Habs new management is going to get obsessive with one style or rebuild/reset. You're not entirely wrong but a lot of how the Habs look in 3 years depends on what the 17-21 draft picks do (5-10 range in draft power with lots of good development) and what we do in this next draft. Things can change quickly but I do have my concerns cause usually you get stars by drafting (and hitting) in the top 5 for a few drafts.

The area of concern is are we a bubble team again or a legit contender? We will see and I do think Gorton/Hughes/MSL have a plan and it's fluid from season to season.
The habs should go for a full rebuild.

I just hope they put the right people in place to make this team fun to watch again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
wait, you dont want a redo of the gionta/gomez/canmaleri days?

I was impressed with Gainey. Let a bunch of guys walk and spent some money where we upset the Pens and Caps in the following playoffs (Halak vs Price). Didn't last long though cause back to headaches the year after :facepalm:

Reactions: abo9

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The habs should go for a full rebuild.

I just hope they put the right people in place to make this team fun to watch again.

I think they are going to focus on better drafting and development but I don't think they will get obsessive with tanking. We will see how this plays out but this will not be a Bergevin type rebuild where it's not a rebuild.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Well, if the Habs have a fire sale and trade a lot of their vets...well, they'll need to be rather aggressive with UFA's to fill in the blanks. Just don't think they would be high-priced long-term pieces. More to provide decent service and/or help teach the young players.

With that said, that's just my opinion/hope. Who knows yet what the brass is actually thinking. So far they seem to be thinking rebuild. Let's just hope they continue with that thought.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
What in the world are you talking about? Montreal wouldn't be looking to dump whatever big money UFA they sign.

That’s not really the point of my post at all

high priced free agents on long terms deals aren't going to be easily traded...

It’s still a free asset for a wealthy team. You’re also presupposing three things, all of which are negative presuppositions:

- The FA isn’t worth their contract;
- The FA does not perform;
- The contract will be very long term.

If you’re telling me star players with big contracts aren’t tradeable I’m not sure what to say. A player can also do well on a team that doesn’t, which means the Habs will have given up nothing to land a player they can then look to trade at a deadline or in an offseason. Toffoli was a free asset and was traded.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I guess it must sucks losing a star in his prime via UFA. It will be Philly (hometown team) or Mtl (money) this summer. Would had already signed if he was staying in Calgary. An other reason why u guys went after Toffoli.
Like Landeskog?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Then what was it? Montreal would not be looking at trading a big name player they sign. So what's the point of saying that can trade those UFAs for 'free assets'?

In what context would they be looking to trade a free agent they sign?

Was Toffoli not a free agent?

Unless your point is that free agent signings never end up getting traded.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
In what context would they be looking to trade a free agent they sign?

Was Toffoli not a free agent?

Unless your point is that free agent signings never end up getting traded.

You're all over the place.

If the Habs end up trying to trade a big ticket player, it's because something went wrong. Either the team crashed and burned or the player crashed and burned. It's not a positive. Just like Toffoli ending up being traded isn't a positive (it would have been much better if he'd played out his contract on a team that contended - as was planned).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
It's interesting that this comes as a surprise to most. Gorton ran the same playbook in New York; simultaneously aggressive in FA and the trade market while the team skidded to four consecutive top 10 picks.

Voila, now they're good. I'm cool w/ it.

The Rangers are always an attractive destination for UFAs no matter how bad they are. And when they're really bad, they have the cap space.

It didn't hurt that 2 of their top dmen demanded trades only to NYR, and that they won 2 draft lotteries in a row so it's not like they were at the bottom of the standings the past 2 years.

Gorton made some good moves, and they got rid of him in a knee-jerk fashion, but I don't know how much credit he should get for Panarin, Fox & Trouba wanting to play in NY.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
You're all over the place.

If the Habs end up trying to trade a big ticket player, it's because something went wrong. Either the team crashed and burned or the player crashed and burned. It's not a positive. Just like Toffoli ending up being traded isn't a positive (it would have been much better if he'd played out his contract on a team that contended - as was planned).

And if they don't, it's because things went well.

Either way it's positive, seeing as the team is shit right now. If they continue to be shit they get an extra asset to sell off.

So you either get assets in trade because it goes badly or you keep a player you signed without giving anything up because things go well.

Seems pretty simple to me unless you missed the initial point I was replying to which was that signing free agents is a bad idea for Montreal.

Trying to hammer home the point that we would only trade a free agent if things went poorly is a really bad argument when the team is already doing poorly. You just end up with another piece you can trade for picks or prospects so what's the downside?

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Growing up in Boston maybe he was a Roger Clemons fan. What was that quote- in Texas we don't rebuild we reload. Gorton when he has been in charge has been a draft and reload type of guy. Most point to Panarin but also in the bit he was in charge in Boston before PC was hired. After 2005-6 season, he traded out Raycroft to get Rask, drafted Kessel, Lucic and Marchand - that was rebuild but he also signed Chara and Marc Savard as free agents on July 1, 2006 after the bruins finished 13th in the East in 2006 that was reload. Historically he has rebuilt via draft and UFA both in Boston and New York. I suspect he will be active in the UFA market as well.

Reactions: Theodore450

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad