LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ

And I plan on having a threesome with Mila Kunis and Natsuko Tohno this summer. Please don't tell my wife.
Anyways, back to the topic of this thread. I heard year after year how the Habs were targetting elite UFA X,Y, and Z, only to be turned down, used as a negotiation ploy, not take the GM's call, etc. I've learned to lower my expectations when it comes to my team and upper echelon UFAs.

Shame on TSN's Insiders for an obvious 'clickbait' talking point. Move along, nothing to see here...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I think Klingberg/Trocheck are good fits for us. Habs need a new PP QB with Petry leaving, someone who can play top pairing minutes too. Of course getting Gaudreau/Forsberg/Hertl/Lindholm would be amazing.. but probably unlikely :D

Reactions: Jpageman

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I also support MTL going all out in FA. might even make them selves good enough to get out of the running for Bedard or Michkov and I think that's something we all can agree would be awesome
except for Habs fans
it would be amazingly stupid . hoard all cap space like yzerman for a couple years . suck for a couple years and enjoy a couple top picks . in approximately 3 years start buying up free agents like yzerman will be this year

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
And if they don't, it's because things went well.

Either way it's positive, seeing as the team is shit right now. If they continue to be shit they get an extra asset to sell off.

So you either get assets in trade because it goes badly or you keep a player you signed without giving anything up because things go well.

Seems pretty simple to me unless you missed the initial point I was replying to which was that signing free agents is a bad idea for Montreal.

Trying to hammer home the point that we would only trade a free agent if things went poorly is a really bad argument when the team is already doing poorly. You just end up with another piece you can trade for picks or prospects so what's the downside?

Free agency is where GMs grab over priced veterans or past prime players on longer term contracts. If the Habs are taking the free agency route, they're not 'grabbing free assets' - what they've actually done is buy a brand new vehicle off the lot that has depreciated in value as soon as it drove away.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
And I plan on having a threesome with Mila Kunis and Natsuko Tohno this summer. Please don't tell my wife.
Anyways, back to the topic of this thread. I heard year after year how the Habs were targetting elite UFA X,Y, and Z, only to be turned down, used as a negotiation ploy, not take the GM's call, etc. I've learned to lower my expectations when it comes to my team and upper echelon UFAs.

Shame on TSN's Insiders for an obvious 'clickbait' talking point. Move along, nothing to see here...

I wish I had read that before I told her, OOOPS!

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
it would be amazingly stupid . hoard all cap space like yzerman for a couple years . suck for a couple years and enjoy a couple top picks . in approximately 3 years start buying up free agents like yzerman will be this year

Approximately 3 years seems to be around the right timeline.....Gotta hit big at the top of the draft like Colorado and Florida and then build around it and finish it off with a dominant goalie.....Picture the Av's or Panthers with Vasi or a prime Carey Price........Go big or go home i say.....

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Been there done that.

Botched rebuild for immediate results is a false good idea.

The only big name UFA I could see signing in MTL, because he mentioned it himself, is Kris Letang.

He won it all in Pittsburgh and if their contract offer isn't good enough, I could see him sign for his hometown team.

He would be a good leader for the young ones and with Chiarot, Petry, Kulak and Wideman probably gone next year they'll have to fill jerseys in D.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Yah I think Montreal throws alot of money at Kadri. I think its between Montreal and Ottawa for Kadri personally.
Kadri will be the worst move of anyone on Free Agency Frenzy. If he would sign for $6MM/year maybe I’d think about it but career year - by a country mile - in a contract year and 32 when the season starts is red flags all around, not to mention Montreal doesn’t have Makar, Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog etc… to pump his PP numbers

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Yeah I don’t want you to be right but can see them going after him and Letang

Meh, depending on terms but with UFAs, they're the one with the upper hand so it wouldn't necessarily be short terms contracts (considering the age of the mentioned players).

And I don't see younger UFAs signing in MTL

Personally, I don't get the point of going after big names UFAs considering Habs situation.

Risking putting the team into a bad cap situation long terms for short terms results isn't what teams in Habs position should do.

But hey guess what, that's exactly what they've been doing for almost 30 years (thinking short terms) so why change such a good recipe...

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Could have racked up more points if you would have went with Hitomi Tanaka, but I share the sentiment.

vQDzo4.gif

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No to Goodreau
Ew to Giroux
Kadri is Laundry

Active as in Bye Bye Price

You will be retaining a lot of money to move Price . Maybe try the offer sheet route . Inject some younger players into the line up with out the development curve. Montreal might not want to take the route tho as it did not work out well last time .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad