LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaud

May 11, 2017
It makes sense for me to get some "end of career" veterans with leadership in limited roles. Like a Perry-type. Put them in positions where they fill holes that our youngsters cant yet fill and keep them there until they can.
Getting a superstar on the UFA market for more than he is worth makes no sense for me.

Reactions: Gjman2019

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
As a Leaf fan, I could 100% see Naz going to Montreal. He has every right to want to continually stick it to Toronto, and he's expressed how big the games against us are in the past. It's always a date he circles. To be able to play us 6 times a year would definitely be attractive for Naz.

Not to mention, I believe his dad is/was a die hard Habs fan. So Naz was likely raised with a bunch of Habs influence.

Montreal just makes so much sense to me. He deserves a big pay day, and I just don't know if COL can make that happen.

It would kill me a bit to see Naz in blue blanc et rouge

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
a competitor will still be able to afford him - unless he thinks he can get $8M+
I mean yes but my point is that if he is looking for a modest upgrade in salary then he can likely sign with a competitor. If he is looking to maximize the money he is making then teams lower down will be where it would have to come from. I would assume he will be looking for in the 6-7 million range long term. I don't see the top teams lining up for that myself.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
A lot of players say they like playing for MSL
Of course they are going to say they like the new coach. This is basic new coach shine. No different than everyone loving Ducharme last year.

it’s absolutely delusional to assume that someone like MSL is going to have pull on UFAs when he has no track record.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I mean yes but my point is that if he is looking for a modest upgrade in salary then he can likely sign with a competitor. If he is looking to maximize the money he is making then teams lower down will be where it would have to come from. I would assume he will be looking for in the 6-7 million range long term. I don't see the top teams lining up for that myself.

guess it'll depend on how he does in the playoffs

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Of course they are going to say they like the new coach. This is basic new coach shine. No different than everyone loving Ducharme last year.

it’s absolutely delusional to assume that someone like MSL is going to have pull on UFAs when he has no track record.
He only needs one UFA though

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
And? He’s still a brand new coach with zero ties to anyone currently playing. The Habs may get a high priced FA this offseason, but MSL won’t be the determining factor.
I think he is. Team is different since his arrival.

He should bring in one UFA. Not a magnet at it like you are saying. Habs only have so much caproom for one 8-10 million player

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
And? He’s still a brand new coach with zero ties to anyone currently playing. The Habs may get a high priced FA this offseason, but MSL won’t be the determining factor.
A promise of a free-skating attack in mtl (a first in mtl for like 35 years) might be sweet for offensive players. I spent my entire adult life hearing only about “systems” “grinding” “attitude ” “out-working opponents” “being defensively sound” “the trap” “can the goalie win the cup for us”.. . Maybe a high profile org with potential to boost my offensive stats would attract me more as a ufa than “playing the right way” for coaches like Therrien and the gang, who knows.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
MSL is still in a "honeymoon" period

I'm sure a lot of hab players liked playing for DD during the cup run, that wore off pretty dang fast

Habs were managed by the vets on that team last year. Took a while for them to gel but once they did, they performed well. Ducharme was heavily criticized down the stretch when we were trying to clinch the playoffs with Price hurt.

Price, Weber, Perry, Stall, Eddy, Petry, Gallagher, Anderson, Danault, Toffoli carried that team with the youth (Suzuki/Caufield) doing their thing. Ducharme even benched KK and Romanov for many games and was out with Covid for a few games

For now, MSL is going to focus on a style of play where the players are more free to play to their strengths and he's not going to be as obsessive with mistakes on the job (with the youth). Even guys like Petry and Anderson are back to their former selfs with MSL. Time will tell what MSL can do once the Habs rebuild and try for the playoffs again. It's one thing to let them play with less pressure and more open to reading plays vs playing within a system but once you start to become a playoff team again, match-up game and playing sound D is part of the ingredients of winning playoff games.

MSL has a vision and he's clearly has the players trusting that style of game he wants to play. This will be of value during rebuild years. After that? Time will tell but that's a few seasons yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Gjman2019 and zeeto

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
and you know this how exactly....isnt Gaudreau favorite player MSL maybe Marty calls him and convinces him to sign here we have no idea the influence St Louis can have on some players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad