LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Montreal handing out a bunch of fat contracts in year one of their rebuild would be the most Habs thing ever. Aside from passing up quality English coached for one who speaks french

I would really love to know who were those talented English only speaking coaches that were ignored by 31 other teams but that the Habs were crazy to pass on.

Only on the HFBoards parallel ethnocentric universe is not being able to speak multiple languages seen as a quality.

Basically everywhere else in the world, speaking and understanding French would be seen as a huge advantage for any candidate.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Montreal's last two top picks we Galchenyuk and Kotkainiemi. Maybe they should just stay away from high draft picks? Maybe this is a good plan?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I would really love to know who were those talented English only speaking coaches that were ignored by 31 other teams but that the Habs were crazy to pass on.

Only on the HFBoards parallel ethnocentric universe is not being able to speak multiple languages seen as a quality.

Basically everywhere else in the world, speaking and understanding French would be seen as a huge advantage for any candidate.
The point is that Montreal is limiting their options by having such a strong preference towards francophones. No one thinks that learning multiple languages is a bad thing. However, limiting candidates for a very important position, based on the sole criteria of what language they speak, probably is.

And yes, the Canadiens are showing a preference towards francophone coaches. It's well beyond the odds of randomness for them to have had so many.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I dont get the panic.

They might go after UFAs to fill holes but I dont think I read they will go after the big fish.

Just another "possibility" click bait report. Maybe if they can move Petry, they might try to get Letang but will he want to chase another cup of go home? Who the hell knows.

I think a lot depends on how much salary they can offload and if Price is on LTIR next year. That frees up a lot of space

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Take a swing at Letang for sure. Petry, Chariot, Kulak, Wideman and Clague are gone, only RHD left is Savard.
Habs blue line could look something like this next year:

Edmundson - Letang
Harris - Savard
Romanov - Schueneman

Guhle and Mailloux with the Rocket.

I dont see any Bergeron, Giroux, Kadri or Gaudreau signing with the Habs.

Imagine if the Avs let Kadri walk and sign Bergeron to play behind MacKinnon? Quite the 1/2 punch there where Bergergon plays the 200' shut down role

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Question I am wondering about. Do both Malkin and Letang stay in Pittsburg?
I’m not sure what Pittsburgh management will do. Especially with new ownership. But I would prioritize Letang over Malkin, as long as Letang’s ask wasn’t huge, which? It maybe. And Malkin has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie year. But Letang is just more important to the Pens as a whole right now than Malkin if it came down to a ether or situation. In the end I think they both stay. But just spinning hypotheticals.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I’m not sure what Pittsburgh management will do. Especially with new ownership. But I would prioritize Letang over Malkin, as long as Letang’s ask wasn’t huge, which? It maybe. And Malkin has been my favorite player in the league since his rookie year. But Letang is just more important to the Pens as a whole right now than Malkin if it came down to a ether or situation. In the end I think they both stay. But just spinning hypotheticals.

Malkin, Letang, Bergeron. Do any of them move on or do they stay. I'm very curious and doubt the Habs can convince Letang or Bergeron to come home where they pass up a chance at another cup. I do think the Habs might try to move Petry and throw some money at Letang though

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I believe that was a joke. :laugh:

Even superman misses the jokes sometimes :laugh:

giphy.gif

Reactions: Harvey Birdman

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Malkin, Letang, Bergeron. Do any of them move on or do they stay. I'm very curious and doubt the Habs can convince Letang or Bergeron to come home where they pass up a chance at another cup. I do think the Habs might try to move Petry and throw some money at Letang though
I don’t know enough about Bergeron off ice in Boston to say if he’d be more likely than Letang. With Letang, everything that I have heard on various podcasts from people who cover the team. Is Letang would prefer to stay, but he wants paid to stay, he won’t be giving very much of a “home town discount”. Which is understandable since this is his last chance at a big payout.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Source.........Pierre Lebrun, maybe everyone can just chill. Gone are the days, where Pierre having his head stuck up Bergevin's ar$e, so take with a grain of salt guys.....just my take.
I hope so

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see Kadri signing with the Habs.

Not me. Last thing Kadri wants is back in a hot hockey market on a non playoff team playing against the Leafs that many games a year. Believe it or not, he's likely still friends with many players on the Leafs. Habs won't be his only option (if the Habs offer a contract)... he will choose someone else and still get paid. Reality

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
If Giroux was linked to the Senators earlier, I can see him with the Habs. Something like 6.5M x 3.

Where are they finding the cap btw? They have 19M in dead cap and are spending over 7.5M on wingers stuck on their 4th line.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Giroux was linked to the Senators earlier, I can see him with the Habs. Something like 6.5M x 3.

Where are they finding the cap btw? They have 19M in dead cap and are spending over 7.5M on wingers stuck on their 4th line.

I think Giroux chases a cup. Not signing with the Habs or Sens IMO.

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
They won't sign any of the big names. It's part of their strategy to make the team more appealing. You're telling everyone that it won't be a 5+ years re-build plan and you'll be aggressive short time. They'll tank another year or two and make sure their young guys are well surrounded by quality veterans with a winning mentality. They will probably do all they can to get rid of the bad contracts and then they'll go all in.

barbu

Jan 9, 2019
The habs rebuild is measured in dog years. So it's been 7 years now which is plenty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad