LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Karl Alzner licking his lips.

I just noticed his cap hit goes down to 833k next season. He's the gift that doesn't stop giving.

celebrate-party.gif

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Montreal handing out a bunch of fat contracts in year one of their rebuild would be the most Habs thing ever. Aside from passing up quality English coached for one who speaks french

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Kadri grew up a Habs fan. Gaudreau's favourite player was MSL. No shortage of interesting names at this moment.
I could see Kadri signing in MTL long term but I think itll take an overpayment. I mean WHY would he want to go to a team that has to rebuild? he already went through that in Toronto and when things got good he got moved because of dumb suspensions in the playoffs couple years in a row.
then he went to COL and got to be on a contending team.
So....
Why would he go back to a rebuilding team?
I mean more likely after his next contract but right now?
Why?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Montreal handing out a bunch of fat contracts in year one of their rebuild would be the most Habs thing ever. Aside from passing up quality English coached for one who speaks french
Marty is coaching pretty damn well right now so I don’t know what your talking about?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Its one year reset. Not totally rebuild. Trade vets to load up on first picks and prospects and create caproom. Re spend in summer

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I also support MTL going all out in FA. might even make them selves good enough to get out of the running for Bedard or Michkov and I think that's something we all can agree would be awesome
except for Habs fans

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I could see Kadri signing in MTL long term but I think itll take an overpayment. I mean WHY would he want to go to a team that has to rebuild? he already went through that in Toronto and when things got good he got moved because of dumb suspensions in the playoffs couple years in a row.
then he went to COL and got to be on a contending team.
So....
Why would he go back to a rebuilding team?
I mean more likely after his next contract but right now?
Why?
Habs management probably doesn’t see a rebuild lasting as long as others do, which if you consider most rebuilds start With no quality young players. The habs do have a decent little crop of prospects and young players from Bergevins last retool already and are about to add a shit load more it isn’t a bad take. it also could signal that price is Heading to Robidas island along with Weber, that means they do have some money about $18M to be aggressive in free agency where most competitive teams are up against the cap. They desperately need another top 6 Center and PMD though. So if they could get a letang and a hertl I’d say the complexion of the team changes

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
They were due for a hot steak. still sample size is too small
also not much pressure with playoffs basically impossible for MTL
so they can just have pressure free fun now

question is how long will this last?
Well we have 30 games to find out but as someone who has endured this season and watched most of the games the difference in play is night and day. Biggest issue still remains injuries this year though.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Montreal needs an impact forward AND defender.

They also need to move Hoffman, Armia and Byron.

Too much money tied to not enough production

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Habs management probably doesn’t see a rebuild lasting as long as others do, which if you consider most rebuilds start With no quality young players. The habs do have a decent little crop of prospects and young players from Bergevins last retool already and are about to add a shit load more it isn’t a bad take. it also could signal that price is Heading to Robidas island along with Weber, that means they do have some money about $18M to be aggressive in free agency where most competitive teams are up against the cap. They desperately need another top 6 Center and PMD though. So if they could get a letang and a hertl I’d say the complexion of the team changes
yeah but still Habs even if all goes well are little behind alot of other teams and I just could see them out bid MTL when it comes to an overall team.
I think Kadri will be a Hab at some point in his career I just dont think itll be next season

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Calm down folks.
Wanting to make a splash and making a splash….2 very different things and several things will hurt Montreal’s case of luring players:
1) being in Canada. Always a bit of an issue (taxes, although I don’t think it’s as significant of a deal that fans make it out to be. Players have good accountants and also they get paid in USD). However with how covid was handled it might turn away more people that usual.

2) they likely won’t be competitive so a player signing here will likely think that it will be a losing season in a city like Montreal which is never easy
3) they don’t have massive amounts of cap space unless they unload big time which doesn’t help case #2

the only ones that I think might consider it would be the French Canadians (letang and Bergeron) although I still think the odds are low but you never know with they ties to their city and Hughes

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
yeah Gaudreau is going to leave a first place team to sign with the Habs. LOL

Because Calgary has definitely been a power house over the years, right? They’re going back to where they belong next year, which is barely being a bubble team.

Don’t bank on your average team being a super powerful contender for the future

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
Weber is done.
Petry wants out so much his family is already gone
Edmundson has not play this year and need a back surgery
Chiarot is a UFA
Kulak is a UFA
Savard hasnt play a game in a month

Up front, Montreal didnt have a 10 goals scorer a week ago.

Montreal will need to be agressive on the ufa market
Water is wet

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I have two worries about this rebuild; one, that the habs get enough wins to get out of the lottery and 2, that the habs overspend on longterm free agency contracts.
However, i dont think this "being aggressive on free agents" thing makes a lot of sense, unless it is to grab some veteran leadership for a year or two in places where we dont have youngsters ready to fill the gap. For example, i think we need a D or two. I am excited about the future D core in mtl, but they need to have the right people around them

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Why would Gorton sell good players at the trade deadline, then turn around and buy different good players a few months later? It makes no sense and I don't see that happening. A mid-tier UFA or two is fine, but I'll bet he won't bother with the high-end contracts.

The Habs are doing the right thing by sinking as low as possible; let's hope they let the process play out.

Reactions: Gravity

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
If you asked the HF hive mind, 29 teams every season would be in a full blown tank rebuild.

Spending in free agency isn't automatically a bad choice.

Reactions: Tuggy

QCNords

Oct 19, 2017
Take a swing at Letang for sure. Petry, Chariot, Kulak, Wideman and Clague are gone, only RHD left is Savard.
Habs blue line could look something like this next year:

Edmundson - Letang
Harris - Savard
Romanov - Schueneman

Guhle and Mailloux with the Rocket.

I dont see any Bergeron, Giroux, Kadri or Gaudreau signing with the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad