Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Kings who played back-to-back

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
Young team or not their zone exits and zone entries have been terrible. Opposing teams are able to break out so easily because they are dumping it in willy nilly and when the Habs are trying to clear their zone there is an obvious disconnect between where the puck is and where it’s going. It’s rare that they look like a 5 man unit in any situation for any extended period of time. It’s early going, but these are basic things that really need to addressed by the coaching staff immediately. Not looking for 100% perfect execution, but in the last two games their execution on these two things alone has to be sub 25%. I could be wrong on that, but that’s what I’m seeing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
We’ll never ever win with 1 goal. Quasi Zero offence. Zero offence from bottom-9
Dvorak. 25% FO killed us.
Broken break out plays.

Team needs secondary offence. Demidov? Laine?
How secondary if you do not have the first line? And Demidov and Laine are better than Caufield and Slafkovský.

Reactions: the

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
How secondary if you do not have the first line? And Demidov and Laine are better than Caufield and Slafkovský.
Demidov yes, I'm not ready to put Laine above Slaf or Caufeld yet. Let's first see what he can do if he's ever healthy

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
I don't think there has been a worse game in history of the sport.

1f3855fc37e6f32bc2e433dd0262ec16.jpg

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Demidov yes, I'm not ready to put Laine above Slaf or Caufeld yet. Let's first see what he can do if he's ever healthy
Laine is better. He could play even with Dvorak/Evans on center and Xhekaj/Tuch on wings and have 1 PPG. I am Slovak and like Juraj. But he will never be so good like health Laine. Health Patrik is a top NHL player.

Sorry, but Caufield is worse, than Marchenko, Chinakhov and Johnson in our team.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
The reason this team sucks is how it’s constructed and how poorly it’s coached, end of story. In fact, coaching is laughable, totally outmatched every night. Shitty PP & PK, and no D structure at all. MSL and his staff are a big problem. MT & Julien look like Scotty Bowman next to this guy.

NS is a legit 1C, a developing Slaf, CC, and who knows what Dach is. After that it is all down hill. D core is a disaster after Guhle, Math, and Hutson.

Don’t know what people expected, holes everywhere, playoff mix was laughable from the beginning.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Laine is better. He could play even with Dvorak/Evans on center and Xhekaj/Tuch on wings and have 1 PPG. I am Slovak and like Juraj. But he will never be so good like health Laine. Health Patrik is a top NHL player.
Thing is, Laine probably won’t be here after his contract. Especially if he keeps getting injured. He is a stop gap in my opinion.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I hope you're right but his ability to stay healthy is a concern for me

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
You may not like the way he plays but he's not the reason we're losing games. Yes the team is still sotf but it would be a complete pushover without his presence.
Let’s blame arber!
Not Dvorak who’s an embarrassment to the sweater.
Or a second line with 2 guys who should be in the bottom 6.
and a bottom 6 filled with guys who don’t really fit together all collecting pay checks.
Or a 4th line with no identity.
Or not enough physical players.
Or a coach who doesn’t seem to be able to adjust tactically right now

Reactions: Pomee and Habano

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
Young team or not their zone exits and zone entries have been terrible. Opposing teams are able to break out so easily because they are dumping it in willy nilly and when the Habs are trying to clear their zone there is an obvious disconnect between where the puck is and where it’s going. It’s rare that they look like a 5 man unit in any situation for any extended period of time. It’s early going, but these are basic things that really need to addressed by the coaching staff immediately. Not looking for 100% perfect execution, but in the last two games their execution on these two things alone has to be sub 25%. I could be wrong on that, but that’s what I’m seeing.
Not playing like a 5 man unit is exactly what going on. Especially on the breakouts, it's like they don't know where the other players are on the ice.

Another thing is the play along the boards in the Dzone is laughably bad. How many times the dman makes the play to the winger from the corner to the boards and the winger can't make the next play to the middle or neutral zone to start the breakout. Time and time again the second pass get blocked or deflected.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Let’s blame arber!
Not Dvorak who’s an embarrassment to the sweater.
Or a second line with 2 guys who should be in the bottom 6.
and a bottom 6 filled with guys who don’t really fit together all collecting pay checks.
Or a 4th line with no identity.
Or not enough physical players.
Or a coach who doesn’t seem to be able to adjust tactically right now
I’m not blaming Arber but let’s be real he isn’t playing well and perhaps wouldn’t be in the D core if it wasn’t so bad.

Arbor is a reflection of the key problem with this team, they have so little talent once you get past a few guys.

The guy is tough and plays for his teammates but defensively he isn’t very good.

The Habs really have zero quality depth at all positions and it’s apparent every night. Its going to be a very long painful season.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
It's almost like we the have the same need we did in 2022 when we finished dead last.....an elite 1C to challenge/dethrone Suzuki.
Yeah we needed a 1C that can consistently do the things Lane Hutson has been doing, which is be the best possession player night in night out.

With some luck maybe Ivan can be that guy.

Stive Morgan

A Symphony of Horror
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Some people have been getting waaay too sentimental with MSL.

I will always be grateful for what he did for the team (specifically delivering us from hockey terrorist Dominique Ducharme) but I think we're at the point in the rebuild where we need to hire a more seasoned, experienced coach who can get wins and build a winning culture. It's time to move on just like it was time to move on from Gallagher in 2021. Hopefully he can be reassigned as an assistant or player development coach.

This team isn't even going to sniff .500 if changes aren't made. Don't get me wrong, we still have a long way to go to be a contender, but we shouldn't be THIS bad/disorganized either.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I hope we send a message to Dvorak by scratching him next game, I can't stand this loser.

CC-Suzuki-Dach
Heineman-Newhook-Slaf
Anderson-Kapanen-Gallagher
Pezz-Evans-Armia

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Caufield - Suzuki - Gallagher
Slafkovsky - Dach - Heineman
Newhook - Evans - Armia
Pezzetta - Dvorak - Anderson
Kapanen

Guhle - Barron
Hutson - Xhekaj
Struble - Savard

• Haha
Reactions: the

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I’m not blaming Arber but let’s be real he isn’t playing well and perhaps wouldn’t be in the D core if it wasn’t so bad.

Arbor is a reflection of the key problem with this team, they have so little talent once you get past a few guys.

The guy is tough and plays for his teammates but defensively he isn’t very good.

The Habs really have zero quality depth at all positions and it’s apparent every night. It’s going to be a very long painful season.
Agree with the second half of your post.
But in my opinion, going after a young depth dman who is the ONLY source of toughness and deterrence on the team is f***ing absurd.
If you don’t think he’s doing his job, look at the coach who it seems, plays mind games with him and is unwilling to live with his growing pains. It seems to be a problem for this coach to support a 6’4 240 lbs dman with one of the hardest shots in the league - on a BOTTOM five team in terms of size.
This is a kid who genuinely cares, unlike about 30% of the team it seems.
Amazing how he’s in so many trade rumours and how so many teams should love to have him.
But he’s the problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad