Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Isles in Shootout

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I thought we played a solid game for the first two periods.

We needed Primeau to bounce back and he did. That's a good sign.

Evans was excellent. Gallagher has been good as well. Kapanen and Heineman are earning their place in the lineup so far.

We are hampered by our center line missing in action. Suzuki is sleepy, while Dach is outright bad.

Mailloux was atrocious and Hutson - Mailloux pair was a disaster. Barron has an uncanny ability to ruin a good impression with absolutely boneheaded plays.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
They had control of the game after the 2 to 2 comeback. Isles were allowed to interfere and hold, then the penalty parade started for us in the 3rd and we couldn't get established. Almost half the third was a penalty kill.

It was 24 to 20 when the penalties started in the 3rd. Obviously one team is gonna take over the shot clock being on the PP for half the period.

This is how I saw it. We were the better team until the parade of penalties.

And, I also see it as: we didn't lose the hockey game. We tied the actually real hockey game. The kind of hockey games that are only played in the playoffs, which is where we're rebuilding to be. We just lost the gimmick, albeit an entertaining gimmick, for the extra point - in the 9th round of the gimmick. The game was a tie. This wasn't a loss. No matter how anyone feels inside.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We're looking worse because most of our important players (top 6/top 4) are not playing well. Caufield and Hutson are the only ones of that group that is playing up to expectations.

I'm not someone who is gonna feed trolls and be in the charge to get Marty fired; but if he rolls out the same top 6 next game then someone needs to get in his ear on the management side and let him know there's a difference between patience and stupidity.

Armia on line 2 is stupidity to do it a game longer. Break line 1 up for now and reunite them later. There needs to be a wakeup call here.

Only like I wouldn't touch is Evans.

Newhook-Suzuki-Caufield
Heineman-Dach-Slafkovsky

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
ill take 82 losses like last night please thanks , play the kids on D.

I blame people penciling in Suzuki and Dach as 1C 2C on a future cup team.

The only choice was always tanking why you guys thought otherwise eludes me.

Choooooo Chooooooo boys, there's still seats on the tank train , get on before we leave you in the dust.

Come to the tank side , we've been holding hands and throwing parties for 3 years now , I know you want in , stop hurting yourselves and accept it

Last edited:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

Choooooo Chooooooo boys, there's still seats on the tank train , get on before we leave you in the dust.

Come to the tank side , we've been holding hands and throwing parties for 3 years now , I know you want in , stop hurting yourselves and accept it
If this team ever makes the playoffs again, I think we’ll see the true value of having a player like Suzuki. Having a really good two way center who is around a PPG is an extremely valuable asset to have. Dach is far more of stretch, especially now that he’s missed so much time after the past two seasons, but the potential is still there I think. If Dach doesn’t work out, we’re back to looking for a center like the Bergevin days and that’s depressing to think about because nobody knows more then Habs fans how hard it is to acquire centres if you don’t draft them. Maybe we finally get some luck and Hage turns out to be a steal.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Like it or not, 90% of the rebuild is done. We're watching our future core, for better or worse. The job now is to give this roster every opportunity to develop and start winning games. Forget the playoffs – I'm talking a few more wins, a few more goals, incremental improvement.

If you believe our current players will improve, we should see signs of it this season. If you believe this roster won't improve from last season, we may as well trade Suzuki, Caufield, and Montembeault and start all over again. Because we're not magically becoming a contender by adding Demidov and a 2025 pick.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Like it or not, 90% of the rebuild is done. We're watching our future core, for better or worse. The job now is to give this roster every opportunity to develop and start winning games. Forget the playoffs – I'm talking a few more wins, a few more goals, incremental improvement.

If you believe our current players will improve, we should see signs of it this season. If you believe this roster won't improve from last season, we may as well trade Suzuki, Caufield, and Montembeault and start all over again. Because we're not magically becoming a contender by adding Demidov and a 2025 pick.
You said it much better than I did but this is exactly my pov. Some are suggesting that we are in year 3 of a 5 to 8 year rebuild and that won't be the case with Molson in control.

I have been talking about wanting to see improvements in defensive structure from our forward group as well as the defense but it has been met with opposition based on the fact that our defense is young. While I realize that, I am basing my position on comments made by management that they would like to see this team in the mix this season. There hasn't been much progression and the team didn't seem ready to play coming out of the preseason. It's still early but I saw the same things again last night, especially when most of the 5 man unit was trapped on the ice for nearly 4 minutes.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
He should he backchecking, that's good.

I don't have much sympathy if he's hurt tonight because 1. he's been charmin soft all season, and 2. if he's injured, don't play.

It's pro hockey.

Also you're grossly contradicting yourself after saying he just took the fat contract and doesn't care. You're all over the map.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
Like the other chap said: Caufield relies on quickness and instinct when scoring and is better without much time to think.He doesn't look great at the shootout nonsense as he has to much time to think and usually screws up. I would not have him as one of my 5 shooters.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hope Dach heard the message from MSL

9 rounds still on the bench . Rare W from MSL
The penalty that Dach got in OT was the breaking point.............
That said, a couple of the kids in the SO were great, Heinamen and Kap both scored......nice to see.
At some point though, Dach should have gotten in there.....

As others have said, Caugield was great, he is the only guy on the team shooting.............and Primeau had a solid game after the tough start..................man does Palmarie kill us.....

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You said it much better than I did but this is exactly my pov. Some are suggesting that we are in year 3 of a 5 to 8 year rebuild and that won't be the case with Molson in control.

I have been talking about wanting to see improvements in defensive structure from our forward group as well as the defense but it has been met with opposition based on the fact that our defense is young. While I realize that, I am basing my position on comments made by management that they would like to see this team in the mix this season. There hasn't been much progression and the team didn't seem ready to play coming out of the preseason. It's still early but I saw the same things again last night, especially when most of the 5 man unit was trapped on the ice for nearly 4 minutes.
I've never seen a worse shift.
The Islander's made a big mistake not swapping out a second time which they could easily have done.
I thought it would be a sign of improvement if we could avoid those types of shifts altogether.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Definitely..........................it's on OUR side of centre ,that our play is terrible................there is zero effort to stopping the other team, and they all just follow the puck around.....WTF guys?
They have to get aggressive in getting the puck, breaking up plays the other team are making and get it out of our end..................FFS it's awful to watch.

In the offensive zone, easily fixed, have Caufield tell them to do what he does, shoot the dam puck!

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I've had some sleep on this after last night. I thought overall we looked better last night than in Pittsburgh and certainly in LA.

In my opinion, the problem lies in our lack of scoring depth. The first line is doing it for us with the three averaging PPG between them. All on pace for their best seasons points wise. They are doing this while Suzuki and Slaf haven't looked all that impressive.

On the second line, we were all hoping to welcome back the Dach from the first two games last year, and the back half of the season from 22/23. Reality is setting in, that he is not the same player currently. Hopefully by game 20, he will be there, but it is clear, he can't carry Newhook and Armia. Both of those guys are third line players IMO. Armia should get pushed out by our young guys in time.

We really need to hit with Laine, but I think we should expect a similar slow start with him to what we are seeing with Dach. He will need a considerable amount of time to get back up to game speed.

We really need to hit with Demidov. He has the ability to make the second line a dynamic threat all up and down the ice.

We really need to hit with Hage. When you look at teams like Dallas, they have built a deep team that has stars up and down the ice, and a succession plan for aging vets. I pumped a lineup earlier that I hope will become our future and it involves Hage taking over the 2nd line centre spot and pushing Dach down to third line centre. My hope is that by 26/27 it is our starting lineup.

Finally,

We absolutely need to hit with Reinbacher. We DO NOT have a 1st line RD of the future. If he can develop as his draft pedigree should suggest, I will be very happy. Mailloux should be able to be a capable 2nd pair RD, and 3rd pair RD's can found in free agency. If Rein is not a 1st pair guy, we need to go out and find one to match with Hutson, or draft one. Drafting is not the preferable option, unless it is superstar potential who can step in quickly.

I believe our left side is stacked up nicely. Hutson is a #1. That I have no doubt about. He needs a defensively responsible compliment (hopefully Rein), to give him the rope to be creative.

Guhle is a perfect 2nd pair LD, and I think paired with Mailloux, they will be a long term solid pair.

Bottom pair, can be a combination of Struble, Xhekaj, Barron or Engstrom for all I care. Those guys can get the job done with limited minutes. Ultimately it is that #1 RD that I am most worried about.

So the illustrious tank threads have been shut down, numerous times. Do I think we should tank? No....but more opportunities to hit on that #1 RD and #2 Centre is not a bad thing. The trade/UFA market is always there for those spots. But, we will be paying through our ass for a #1RD.

Don't fret my friends. I feel like we are still doing something good!

Time for a beer?

NOT YET!

Maybe Later Leland Townsend GIF - Maybe Later Leland Townsend Evil -  Discover & Share GIFs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I guess the good news is we are playing like shit and still hovering at around 500.
Time to arrange some deck chairs and start with that first line.

Reactions: waitin425

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

People are way to impatient with defensemen. Forwards initiate, it is far easier to jump up to the next level when you are attacking. Defensemen react, far more difficult to make the jump and be comfortable because the game is so much faster than the last level they played at. Even the really good young defensemen that get recognize, they get recognized because of their offense, The defensive part of their games takes far longer to develop.

durojean

May 29, 2007

One last year…. The goal was always 2025. We are needing patience. That is the year we got assets up to. And 2025 was the year ou draft picks were supposed to really come into the line up.

One last good draft. We get Demidov and Reinbacher plus a lot more experience from Hutson, Mailloux.

I also feel that there will be a big move for a forward done. Probably Matheson…

This year is not it… at least not for management. Only thing they don’t want to see is regression.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
People are way to impatient with defensemen. Forwards initiate, it is far easier to jump up to the next level when you are attacking. Defensemen react, far more difficult to make the jump and be comfortable because the game is so much faster than the last level they played at. Even the really good young defensemen that get recognize, they get recognized because of their offense, The defensive part of their games takes far longer to develop.
100% it's why I don't understand the impatience, the core dmen prospects that everyone like and are slotting in as our contending core defence are literal children. Last night was a great game for Mailloux to get his feet wet , the good and bad , same for Hutson all season , I hope the fanbase can show patience with Reinbacher because it's going to be the same thing with him. They need NHL games , same for Barron and Struble , the inexperience on the backend is being understated in these match evaluations.

We are actually lucky Caufield Suzuki are so young , they will still be effective players when the Dmen catch up.

Reactions: the and SlafySZN

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022

The reality is that our best player in Demidov is 18 years old, Hage is also 18, Slafkovsky and Hutson are 20, Reinbacher 19 and the player we’ll draft in the top 10 this year even younger. Our timeline is not now, it’ll take a few years before those players are really ready together.

We’ll see how it goes next season and the one after with Demidov/Hage arriving.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How do we possibly look worse than last season? I don't think we looked this bad even after the TDL. There's gotta be some way to squeeze more out of the players we have. It just doesn't make sense how brutal we are defensively.
No progress comes from bad coaching.

Remember most people singing HuGoMarts praise are the same that sang the praise of Bergevin in the first 3-4 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad