Speculation: Habs finish 28th and bottom 5 in 24-25 season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
If no changes are made from now to the start of the season, ya 100% I see another top 10 pick for sure. I must admit I'm a little disappointed this off season compared to the past 2, not in terms of the draft but I was sure he would have been a little more aggressive like the past 2 off seasons and perhaps challenge for a WC spot. With this roster, no chance!
bottom 5 for sure. this is another year of development and tank after the deadline. Savard, Armia, dvork are traded or replaced by developing players. Habs do not have scoring. The 4 most penalty kills tell you of mistakes and defensive flaws. Competing teams became better on paper and special teams are not good enough to advance. They did not add an impact player to the roster. The roster needs size and physicality.

Last edited:

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think we’ll see different combos over the next few years. Slaf loved playing with Dach so we might see that. Demidov will change things up too.

Having Dach/CC on one line and Slaf/Nick on the other is pretty good. I don’t like Newhook and CC together so he’s logically go with Suzuki but we’ll see. I’d like to see the top two be interchangeable at some point.

I think Newhook is heading for the 3rd line (good).
I'm more curious about Roy entering the top 6 with his different skills than all these guys.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
He also said we were going to build through the draft.
that is only one component, you need to trade, use free agency and develop as well as manage a cap and age window. Habs have a transition year ushering out Savard, Armia and Dvorak. Also expect evans to go. Also one less year on gally and anderson who should also be dispatched as they are flawed. It is a mistake to not bring in productive veterans who have won to help develop young players. Retain salary on Anderson and gally . All the young players know is a bottom five finish for three going on 4 years. Montreal will not ne a top destination for top free agents for reasons of climate, tax and media pressure.

Last edited:

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I'm more curious about Roy entering the top 6 with his different skills than all these guys.
Newhook is a third liner all day long. 5' 10' and brittle. 34 points career high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think Demidov will will probably bump Newhook at some point. Wouldn't surprise me to see Roy go to the 3rd eventually as well. He's got great upside though. He might wind up sticking in the top six. It'll obviously depend on how he progresses.
that is only one component, you need to trade, use free agency and develop as well as manage a cap and age window. Habs have a transition year ushering out Savard, Armia and Dvorak. Also one less year on gally and anderson who should also be dispatched as they are flawed. It is a mistake to not bring in productive veterans who have won to help develop young players. Retain salary on Anderson and gally . All the young players know is a bottom five finish for three going on 4 years. Montreal will not ne a top destination for top free agents for reasons of climate, tax and media pressure.
I don't think it's a mistake at all. We already brought in players who've sped up the rebuild. And look at the trades we've made so far already. Got a first for Monahan coming and going. Got extra firsts and traded some of them into Newhook/Dach. Traded for a second and got Hutson. Hage and Mesar are additions by trade... he's knocked it out of the park so far.

Yeah, the draft is one component. But it's by far the most important. The best way to get young talent is to draft it yourself. Once young talent is developed elsewhere it's very difficult/expensive to acqure. Our core is almost entirely drafted/developed here. We now have one of the deepest and best prospect pools in the league. I don't see any need to go out and add vets to add to it. If we add somebody so be it but it's certainly not a need.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Newhook is probably a third line player on a competing team , on this dog meat lineup with gallagher and anderson on it? EASILY our third best winger on the team and should be playing top 6 minutes.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
I expect 5 forwards to depart between now and the 24-25 season end. Armia, Dvorak. Evans , Pezz and Boulet. To replace from a roster perspective is Roy, Demidov Florian X, Beck and a Free agent. Unfortunately, I don't believe we will be better in the 25-26 season on a net basis. We are going to go through a few years of a poorly performing team. Another year with 5 games minim under 500 and 10 + loser points

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
34 point career high. cant stay healthy.
23 years old.

50 points if he plays a full season. Very good for a second liner.

Any player can get injured, Newhook is no exception. But he ended the season on a nice streak. No reason to think he’s hurt now.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I expect 5 forwards to depart between now and the 24-25 season end. Armia, Dvorak. Evans , Pezz and Boulet. To replace from a roster perspective is Roy, Demidov Florian X, Beck and a Free agent. Unfortunately, I don't believe we will be better in the 25-26 season on a net basis. We are going to go through a few years of a poorly performing team. Another year with 5 games minim under 500 and 10 + loser points
I think you’re going to be proven very wrong.

There’s too much young talent for us not to improve significantly over the next two years.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I'm fine with being a high draft team again next year. Rebuilds usually take 5 years of drafting high. We've had 3 high draft picks so far.

Let the young guys play and make a name for themselves. No need to rush if we can keep a core together

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
that is only one component, you need to trade, use free agency and develop as well as manage a cap and age window. Habs have a transition year ushering out Savard, Armia and Dvorak. Also expect evans to go. Also one less year on gally and anderson who should also be dispatched as they are flawed. It is a mistake to not bring in productive veterans who have won to help develop young players. Retain salary on Anderson and gally . All the young players know is a bottom five finish for three going on 4 years. Montreal will not ne a top destination for top free agents for reasons of climate, tax and media pressure.
Suzuki and Caufield know what it's like to lead a team to the SCF. As for trades, the Habs did that. Dach and Newhook were big trades. Both will have a full season to contribute. MUCH more improvement will happen by developing our group of young players than by exchanging one veteran player for another. You're under the illusion that more roster changes equals more improvement.

34 point career high. cant stay healthy.
Please don't post nonsense just to get attention.

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
We’ll be out of the playoffs this year. Most people will agree on this.

But the idea that we’re going to regress over the next two years is highly unlikely.
You are clearing out 5 forwards of 12 this year. You wish you could clear out the contracts of gally and Anderson. Of the five core two of Newhook and Dach are brittle and unproven. They can get worse. Defense is forming to be good but today it is unproven. It can be worse. Savard, Gulhe and Matheson are roster locks. Sarvard will be traded. All others are unproven. For sure it can be worse. Count on two more years of transition as a bad team unless Hughes gets top six help and EVERYBODY else stays healthy and gets better. It is really that simple. Bubble playoff team prediction is a joke

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You are clearing out 5 forwards of 12 this year. You wish you could clear out the contracts of gally and Anderson. Of the five core two of Newhook and Dach are brittle and unproven. They can get worse. Defense is forming to be good but today it is unproven. It can be worse. Savard, Gulhe and Matheson are roster locks. Sarvard will be traded. All others are unproven. For sure it can be worse. Count on two more years of transition as a bad team unless Hughes gets top six help and EVERYBODY else stays healthy and gets better. It is really that simple. Bubble playoff team prediction is a joke
I know. The sky is falling and we’re all going to die.

It’s a horrible situation.

Meanwhile we have one of the deepest prospect pools in the league and have a ton of great new players coming in over the next two years.

I’ll try to find a way to sleep tonight.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
This is not true. Recheck the stats. When you are small and plat with your head down you will not not survive
He played 82 RS + 7 playoff games and 81 RS + 12 playoff games in the preceding two seasons.

If you're talking about 20-21, he played 12 games for Boston College out of a 24 game Covid-shortened season and missed 8 games at BC because Team Canada did a 2 month quarantine before the world juniors. He left college early to sign with the Avalanche and played 22 more games between the AHL, NHL, and NHL playoffs.

Not sure that Alex Newhook keeping his head up would have stopped the pandemic but maybe it's worth a try for next time. ;)

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
He played 82 RS + 7 playoff games and 81 RS + 12 playoff games in the preceding two seasons.

If you're talking about 20-21, he played 12 games for Boston College out of a 24 game Covid-shortened season and missed 8 games at BC because Team Canada did a 2 month quarantine before the world juniors. He left college early to sign with the Avalanche and played 22 more games between the AHL, NHL, and NHL playoffs.

Not sure that Alex Newhook keeping his head up would have stopped the pandemic but maybe it's worth a try for next time. ;)
Puck pedia stats state 55 g, 82 g and 71 g. Not 81. That is what is states. . Can you recheck a second time on games played. Watch him play. head down will = less games to be played in the future.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Puck pedia stats state 55 g, 82 g and 71 g. Not 81. That is what is states.
55 this year, 82 the year prior, and 71 in the NHL + 10 in the AHL for 81 regular season games in 21-22.
Can you recheck a second time on games played. Watch him play. head down will = less games to be played in the future.
Like I said he played 82 and 81 pro games the preceding two seasons and only really missed any significant time due to covid quarantines and bouncing around to 4 different teams in 20-21 the preceding year. He's had only the one significant injury in his career and it was an ankle sprain from losing an edge while driving the net with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad