Speculation: Habs finish 28th and bottom 5 in 24-25 season

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Sorry for the double post.

If you were the GM, how many of you would be ok to do what Chicago tried to pull this year? They tried to trade their unprotected 25’ 1st to Columbus for #4 this year so they could get both Levshunov AND Demidov.

If we pick in the top 5 or so again why not trade our 2026 1st unprotected? Walk away with 2 of the top forwards - say 2 of Hagens/Martone/Ryabkin/Misa/McQueen/Frondell/Desnoyers/etc.

Suzuki and Caufield are ready. Demidov coming next year. These 2 forwards come in 2026.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
2025LW-2025C-Demidov

Let’s finish this rebuild for good and try to compete while Suzuki/Caufield are still under bargain contracts and having a bunch of high-end talent on ELC/first extension?
We dont really need two more top 6 players. At that point it would be overkill especially with the risk of giving an unprotected first. If we just end up with Martone or McQueen, the top 12 is set (and you can evenly spread talent on 3 lines):

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Hage-Martone
Xhekaj-Beck-Kapanen

Best case scenario would be FLA missing the playoffs resulting in us getting the top 1 protected CGY first which may end up in the bottom 8. In that case Id go with either Trethewey or Schaefer.

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Xhekaj-Schaefer
+
Fowler
Montembeault
Volokhin

That lineup would be generational.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

If you were the GM, how many of you would be ok to do what Chicago tried to pull this year? They tried to trade their unprotected 25’ 1st to Columbus for #4 this year so they could get both Levshunov AND Demidov.

If we pick in the top 5 or so again why not trade our 2026 1st unprotected? Walk away with 2 of the top forwards - say 2 of Hagens/Martone/Ryabkin/Misa/McQueen/Frondell/Desnoyers/etc.

Suzuki and Caufield are ready. Demidov coming next year. These 2 forwards come in 2026.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
2025LW-2025C-Demidov

Let’s finish this rebuild for good and try to compete while Suzuki/Caufield are still under bargain contracts and having a bunch of high-end talent on ELC/first extension?
That Hawks offer made no sense for the Jackets. They likely receive a less than 20% shot at the 1st OA pick in this draft and Lindstrom may very well be ranked similarly in this draft, and all they get is a late 1st for that gamble? I don't see why any team would accept that so I doubt we'd be able to successfully do the same.

Not to mention that given how we would have the youngest top 6 in the league, I'm sure we'd like to have at least one vet in the top 6.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
2025LW-2025C-Demidov

Because team Like Columbus did this year won’t accept. They don’t want to take the risk that Montreal has a bubble year and they finnally get a mid pick

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Because team Like Columbus did this year won’t accept. They don’t want to take the risk that Montreal has a bubble year and they finnally get a mid pick

I'd say more that Montreal wouldn't do it because if you f*** up and give Gavin McKenna, you'd be fired.

This year is safe because at worst you're losing out on James Hagens, not nearly the same thing.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Our first line may not have missed a game but CC wasn't healthy. If he was 100 percent we'd have seen a 40-50 goal season. Guhle also missed 12 games.
Do make note the first line scored at a prorated 104 goals in the second half.Caufield himself scored 8 goals in his last 10 games

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Do make note the first line scored at a prorated 104 goals in the second half.Caufield himself scored 8 goals in his last 10 games
Caufield had a very strange season.

Up until last year, he’d been ultra consistent. Obviously a short career in the NHL but under MSL he was not a streaky player. And that continued in his play last season - there’s little difference between his play at the start vs at the end. All the underlying numbers are pretty close in both halves.

Goal scoring wise though, it’s a different story, He had a rough first half and then caught fire. Then after about ten or so games where he looked like his old self he went on a twenty game goal-less streak. Then he caught fire at the end. Really, really weird.

Nothing wrong with the underlying play but he’s paid to score goals. Hopefully his shoulder heals up over the summer.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Caufield had a very strange season.

Up until last year, he’d been ultra consistent. Obviously a short career in the NHL but under MSL he was not a streaky player. And that continued in his play last season - there’s little difference between his play at the start vs at the end. All the underlying numbers are pretty close in both halves.

Goal scoring wise though, it’s a different story, He had a rough first half and then caught fire. Then after about ten or so games where he looked like his old self he went on a twenty game goal-less streak. Then he caught fire at the end. Really, really weird.

Nothing wrong with the underlying play but he’s paid to score goals. Hopefully his shoulder heals up over the summer.
The bonus thing with the shoulder was there no talk of him reinjurring it. The hot streak in the last 10 games maybe an indicator of recovery. 👍

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The bonus thing with the shoulder was there no talk of him reoccurring it. The hot streak in the last 10 games maybe an indicator of recovery. 👍
I hope so. He had an impeccable history and was looking like a perpetual Richard contender - or at least a perpetual 40-50 goal guy.

Now I’m counting on 35. Wouldn’t surprise me if he exceeds that though.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
I hope so. He had an impeccable history and was looking like a perpetual Richard contender - or at least a perpetual 40-50 goal guy.

Now I’m counting on 35. Wouldn’t surprise me if he exceeds that though.
There is a lot to be optimistic about the team and being happy about seems to be snowflaking some of the posters on here. This going to be another development team this that will be fun to watch.👍

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Reading the postings on here one would swear they already secured the 1st for next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad