Proposal: Habs - Col/Nashville/Anaheim/Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Why would Anaheim trade for petry, and a 1st at that

He looks pretty old and washed up at this point, we’re looking for young players to go forward with…. I’ll take romonav for a 2nd tho
He doesn't look old at all he just looks like he doesn't give a f*** anymore. Not sure if that's better...

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Colorado doesn’t do that trade. They rather have a good regular season with pumped stats for their top players than go deep in the playoff. That’s well documented.

It's better than what 90% of the league can hope for.

Montreal isn't watching playoff hockey for the next 5 years.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
This one. The one in this thread (OP). :laugh:. I don't care about he "Habs" grouping narratives. It's garbage on HF boards and a flawed culture many are falling into. But go ahead, we are either loved or hated with no in the middle. Bandwagon parties don't move the needle with me. "Popularity" BS
I know you like to point out how unfair the criticism is towards Habs fans, but these deals are terrible for all the non-Habs teams.
1) Girard is a 23 year old #3 dman, signed at a very good cap for the next 5.5 years. Playes like this don't get traded just because. I would say the value of Girard is probably 2 x late 1st round picks, and you want Kuemper whom the Avs just traded a 1st and a young NHL RHD for. So even if that price is reduced, Keumper is worth at least the 1st to Colorado, so you think Price is worth that much. I know you have stated that the Habs would retain 50% (which of coarse you don't actually know) but this thread says 20% which makes his cap hit $8.75 for the next 4.5 years. Too much for an aging player with lots of red flags. So this is not a good deal for the Avs

2) Gallagher to Nashville for their most recent 1st round pick and another 1st. You truly believe that Gallagher with his long term $6.5 x 5.5 years. His age, style of play is worth a teams 2 best young assets. This also ignores the fact that the Preds are actively trying to shed older players and build up their youth. Again a bad deal for the Preds

3) Petry for Duck's 1st and Guhle - Ducks are in no position to be adding a 34 year old player, especially at the cost of a 1st round pick. The Ducks are over achieving this year and to sell your own rebuild short by adding a 34 year old defender that has clearly started to slow down, still signed for another 3.5 years and no retention is very short sighted and the way to ruin a teams long range development plan. Petry might get a 1st with retention, but not from a rebuilding team like the Ducks, where Petry will be a pro athlete senior citizen by the time they are actual contenders. Bad for the Ducks

4) Chiarot for a top prospect and an injured player that when healthy is better than Chiarot. The last thing the Oilers need to do is trade away inexpensive talent. If they do decide to rebuild, LHD is not the first priority so it would be pretty stupid to overspend (no team is offering a prospect of Holloway's level for Chiarot) on an okay player but not a top need. The add of Klefbom also messes with the Oilers tight cap. His LTIR helps the team dress a full team. If Klef ever comes back, he's a better player than Chia, so the entire offer s not good for the Oilers.

So can you let me know why you would think these are bad for the Habs? Not one of these deals makes sense for the other teams, yet you want to complain about Habs grouping narrative - nope they're just bad deals for the non-Habs teams plain and simple.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Fantastic, now what do you have to look forward to for the next 5 years.
Wright, Bedard / Michkov. Suzuki Caufield Romanov

We'll be alright. We couldn't do like the Avs in the past 10 years and suck constantly while pilling up top picks.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You must be loving this season.

There’s a price to pay when you go deep in the playoff and several of your top players ends up on LTIR or elsewhere. Montreal still have a good young core and it will only get better over the next 2-3 years.

Fantastic, now what do you have to look forward to for the next 5 years.

Probably as much as Colorado, which is not much (unless you count regular season success something to look forward to).

I would also be very, very careful if I were you. With Landy, MacKinnon & Makar new deals coming in, you’ll have a harder time keeping good depth, especially with the level of play you’re getting from your backend/goaltending come playoff time.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There’s a price to pay when you go deep in the playoff and several of your top players ends up on LTIR or elsewhere. Montreal still have a good young core and it will only get better over the next 2-3 years.

Probably as much as Colorado, which is not much (unless you count regular season success something to look forward to).

I would also be very, very careful if I were you. With Landy, MacKinnon & Makar new deals coming in, you’ll have a harder time keeping good depth, especially with the level of play you’re getting from your backend/goaltending come playoff time.

Cool. Thanks for that insight that we're all cautious about. Now get back to watching 2-3 seasons of non-competitive hockey. Remember not every top pick works out. Montreal is probably drafting a few Kotkinemi's.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
That nobody would take Price at 50%. That is exaggeration. That's basically the narrative that was presented.

Price trade talk history....

* Price offered at full cap hit in the past. Replies are, you will have to retain a substantial amount in order for others to consider it.

* Price takes the Habs to the finals at age 33 and narratives are "You are only there because of Price"

* Habs thinking rebuild and considering substantial retention... "Nobody will take Price at 50% retention".

You can laugh at the Habs and it's fair to some degree. But it's also fair for the Habs to laugh at the history of comments we are getting in return as well. Got to look it two ways, not just one but the Habs are easy to hate and to try to belittle.
Exaggeration come from both sides:
  • Every playoff team would be a prime contender with Price! Reality: Price has no SC title and one final appearance.
  • Price is healthy! Reality: Price hasn't come back from a off-season surgery and proven he is in game shape.
  • Price has overcome his substance abuse issue and will come back better than ever! Reality: Price is still in the player assistance program and there is no reliable information about him.
  • Reality is his remaining term (4 years past this season and cap hit (10.5m).
  • Realitiy is also his advanced age for a professional hockey player.
Price still has a few good streaks in him as proven in last years playoffs. But they are not guaranteed to happen during the playoffs and personally I wouldn't assign positive value to him at 50%. Why give up something for a player, who might never play again and when he does, maybe isn't worth his 5.25m cap hit? The risk to kill the cap is simply to big for a contender with a window of contention spanning over the full term of his contract. Bergevin was fired because of cap mismanagement. I am sure habs fans know that.

Reactions: McJedi

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Oh I remember when we used this in 2006. What a great chirp. It's almost like that wasn't the beginning of the decade of darkness. Enjoy the rebuild.
what is it that the oilers have going on ? are they rebuilding ? contending ? going up down nowhere's ? one playoff series win in what 17 years ? looks like your downhill slide is picking up steam this year . what players will yous be trading at the deadline ?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Should be a moratorium on any trade proposals involving Colorado and Carey Price.

At this point its clear as day that both sides of the conversation completely disagree on the value of Carey Price and every thread just turns into the same shit show every time.

Just ban threads with the two teams involved until Price is traded anywhere else.

Reactions: McJedi

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
ok, here we go again. Habs will have players to offer, if you want any make your bid, if you don't any then then please dont call.
the market will decide what is offered and who has the most need. I fully expect many to say any price paid is far too much, in fact the habs should PAY teams to take some players. Everybody WANT'S and nobody WANT's to PAY. so DONT want to pay then DONT CALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad