GDT: Habs at Sens (Now, Saturday, October 7th)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Suzuki’s play has been mixed: but what you would expect of a star player in the preseason. What has been surprising is Suzuki’s strength on the puck and along the boards. That impressive strength was well displayed on Caufield’s game winning goal.

According to NHL.com Suzuki is now 5’11 212 lb so yeah it matches the eye test.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Disagree.

A guy who skates like the wind. Has a wicked shot. He doesn't lay the body, but he is also an aggressive forechecker. And can produce in a limited role.

He had 16 pts in 37 games last year averaging 13:27 TOI. That's a pace of 35 pts in 82 GP.
The year before, he had 5 pts in 14 GP averaging 11:35 TOI. And that's a pace of 29 pts in 82 GP.

You give me that kind of production from a Bottom-6 forward and I'll take it.
Yeah maybe but seems like Heineman is pushing Ylonen away.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
According to NHL.com Suzuki is now 5’11 212 lb so yeah it matches the eye test.

Suzuki is built like a tank. When I look at him without his hockey gear, my first impression is that he looks too heavy to be as effective as he should be (as in he must be slow or his cardio must not be the best) but then you see him on the ice and for his style of play, it works perfectly. He's just a solid guy.

He was 183 pounds in his draft year.....So he basically put on 30 pounds of "man" since then.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Suzuki is built like a tank. When I look at him without his hockey gear, my first impression is that he looks too heavy to be as effective as he should be (as in he must be slow or his cardio must not be the best) but then you see him on the ice and for his style of play, it works perfectly. He's just a solid guy.

He was 183 pounds in his draft year.....So he basically put on 30 pounds of "man" since then.
For some players, like Suzuki, that added bulk and mass adds to a player’s speed while in other cases, like Subban, that added bulk just destroys their speed and mobility. Two talented players and two far different results.

Reactions: Rapala and FrankMTL

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
He's such a treat to watch play, very entertaining player.
While I agree with you that Matheson was one of the best players on the ice last night and the team, in general displayed dramatic offensive flair and potential, they were playing a Senators team that was missing all of their top players . Even then, it took a late surge to win the game. Let’s see what happens when we face real NHL opposition. The games and our players may not be as entertaining.

Reactions: EXPOS123

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Sens fans have this little fantasy going on right now that we're celebrating this win over their ''C team'' like it's our Stanley Cup, didn't see any of that here but sure. They're also repeating ad nauseam that we're going to be bad this year as if it's a huge revelation and we didn't already know that.

A lot of anger and agitation on their part after a meaningless preseason game, the lack of confidence is real. Even when we suck and they're supposed to have a playoff team we're living in their heads rent-free which is pretty funny.
Lol sens fans and their team are little ants in the grand scheme of things it's sad they never seem to realise that giants don't really concern themselves with the world of insects , been like this forever

Reactions: HabsCowboysOwn

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
While I agree with you that Matheson was one of the best players on the ice last night and the team, in general displayed dramatic offensive flair and potential, they were playing a Senators team that was missing all of their top players . Even then, it took a late surge to win the game. Let’s see what happens when we face real NHL opposition. The games and our players may not be as entertaining.

Meh, while all that's true, It was true last year as well. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about Matheson, he stands out every game, this was no different than last year when we sucked then too.

He is easily one of my most favourite players to watch on this team, my eyes just naturally seem to get drawn towards him whenever he's on the ice.

He sticks out like a sore thumb. (in a good way) Hopefully he and the rest have a healthy season, if so I think we'll be entertained at the least. :thumbu:

In a year like this, where progression is the name of the game, some good entertainment and some competitiveness is the best we could hope for.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Hopefully it does so we get progression from the forwards but still get to pick high enough for Catton
Well said. If we can draft in the top seven of this year's draft we will be getting an impact player who should 'arrive', just as this team makes its hoped for progression from irrelevance to relevance in the 2025/2026 season. It's that good a draft at the top. It will take a little bit of patience, but thanks to an improved management team the necessary road map to success is in place

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Meh, while all that's true, It was true last year as well. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about Matheson, he stands out every game, this was no different than last year when we sucked then too.

He is easily one of my most favourite players to watch on this team, my eyes just naturally seem to get drawn towards him whenever he's on the ice.

He sticks out like a sore thumb. (in a good way) Hopefully he and the rest have a healthy season, if so I think we'll be entertained at the least. :thumbu:

In a year like this, where progression is the name of the game, some good entertainment and some competitiveness is the best we should hope for.
Pieces by pieces, one by one this team will improve. Dach is quite a player right now, Matheson is really good,.Ghule is getting there, Heineman will be as good as RHP. RHP is the measuring tape. If he's the worst player on the team, we have a good team. If there is 4 players below RHP, we have a bad team. Slaf is going in the right direction, I was secured last night. I even liked Norlinder witch means some prospects I wasn't expecting anything (more or less) prove me I was wrong. That's good.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Does that really brings something to the game in his case?
Yes because he isn't just fast, he plays fast too. Some players have to slow the game down when they have the puck even though they're great skaters because their body moves quicker than their mind, Newhook seems to be able to play at his top speed with the puck which to me is very impressive

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yes because he isn't just fast, he plays fast too. Some players have to slow the game down when they have the puck even though they're great skaters because their body moves quicker than their mind, Newhook seems to be able to play at his top speed with the puck which to me is very impressive
I need to see with 15 NHL games. I saw so many smallish players with great speed who didn't bring anything really. As we say, wait and see. But he looks tiny small.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
I need to see with 15 NHL games. I saw so many smallish players with great speed who didn't bring anything really. As we say, wait and see. But he looks tiny small.
You're right it's only been preseason, I'm just trying to stay positive because I've liked what I've seen from the small sample size + him being so young.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Why are the Sens fans so insecure? It's sad truly.

They thought we had our full squad yesterday... Do they know we were missing 3 of our top 4 defenceman + Anderson and Pearson?
Maybe they realize they have no depth at any positions.

Reactions: EveryDay

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
Newhook is pretty much Paul Byron, we gave up a lot for him. I'm a bit biased, I never liked him in juniors either. A guy people will always say 'he didn't give much in the stats department but wow was he fast'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad