Value of: Habs 2 x 1sts 2025 + Jordan Harris/Jayden Struble

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
If they are worse, it's definitely not because of the lost of those players. Kova was already the odd man out at the end of the season. Allen sucked all year. Monahan should be replaced easily by a healthy Dach and Newhook. If their key players don't regress and are injury free, they should be a little bit better.
The post you replied to is the answer to the question "tell me you didn't watch Montreal last season without telling me you didn't watch Montreal".

He had a bit of a point about Monahan, but seriously, the other two aren't significant losses. He might as well have mentioned Ylonen.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
The post you replied to is the answer to the question "tell me you didn't watch Montreal last season without telling me you didn't watch Montreal".

He had a bit of a point about Monahan, but seriously, the other two aren't significant losses. He might as well have mentioned Ylonen.
Do you know how hockey works?

Kovacevic played 62 games last season for the Habs. Sure the player that took his spot at the season could fill the void but the one taking over is still a rookie who are prone to having up and down games and there is a thing called DEPTH. If that player goes down to injury they will have to throw another rookie into the mix.

Who knew Depth was a thing in hockey!!

Allen might not have been as good as Primeau or Monty by he still played games for the team which will have to be spit between those two. Do you know that Primeau will be just as good under a heavier workload?

If Habs fans want to stick Newhook with Anderson and Gallagher then go ahead. Might as well put two concrete blocks on his feet and throw him into the river.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Marchenko from Columbus could be a nice linemate for Demidov. Natural LW, Russian, U25. Will Columbus trade him is another topic...

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
seems like a bad strategy. retool for another couple years, let your kids develop and use your 1sts. dont try to rush it. or go ahead. MTL fast tracking it is fine with me
Yeah, too many on my detroit boards have been throwing out similar proposals for years. Best to aquire assets and develop talent when you're down. You don't want to cough up assets just to make the playoffs; only move in that direction when it's time to contend. Neither Det or Mtl are there yet.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Yeah, too many on my detroit boards have been throwing out similar proposals for years. Best to aquire assets and develop talent when you're down. You don't want to cough up assets just to make the playoffs; only move in that direction when it's time to contend. Neither Det or Mtl are there yet.
yeah no buying skill when yours still isnt ready. owners push GMs to make bad decisions to get more fans in the building. unfortunately its more about making money then actually doing things right, or GMs do stupid things to make playoffs to save their job.

Reactions: Astyanax

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
The 2 Habs Dmen being offered have zero value i thought my post made that clear?
Nonsense...

When Harris and Struble are included in just about every MTL fans trade idea, other teams think that they are players that they want to dump, and therefore have no value. Maybe mix it up a bit, and add Gallagher and Anderson?:sarcasm:
Harris and Struble aren't bad but its true The Habs will likely need to deal at least one of them, Its just a numbers game. They have a surplus of LD that are NHL ready or close to it. Harris and Struble will also require waivers and they wont go unclaimed. It would be foolish to lose them for nothing......

yeah no buying skill when yours still isnt ready. owners push GMs to make bad decisions to get more fans in the building. unfortunately its more about making money then actually doing things right, or GMs do stupid things to make playoffs to save their job.
This is true but it seems Molson has bought into the patience game that HuGo sold him on. I mean this cant go on much longer but they will be fine.....

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
It would be a bad idea for the Habs to trade their 1st unprotected. That pick could end up being anywhere from 1stOA to 14th OA most likely. So no.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Exactly it's too early but it's quite possible that both picks are in the top 10 and the 2 players being mentioned here probably are of zero consideration of any team trading for those 2 picks.
Due to the conditions surrounding the trade, it's almost impossible for the pick from Calgary to be in the top 10. It will most likely be Florida's 2025 first rounder, unless Calgary finished outside the top 10. So, best case would be 11th overall, but more likely 20's to 32nd.

The Habs own 1st rounder, though, is most likely to be a top 10 pick -- maybe even top 5.

Reactions: wetcoast

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Nonsense...

Harris and Struble aren't bad but its true The Habs will likely need to deal at least one of them, Its just a numbers game. They have a surplus of LD that are NHL ready or close to it. Harris and Struble will also require waivers and they wont go unclaimed. It would be foolish to lose them for nothing......

This is true but it seems Molson has bought into the patience game that HuGo sold him on. I mean this cant go on much longer but they will be fine.....
hat entirely depends how much they try to fast track it

Gaud

May 11, 2017
kidding aside, the timing for this package is wrong, IMO. This package should be used to get us a top 6 that is young enough and with a contract that is long enough to make sense with our rebuild. Hughes seems to trust his scouting group (or stats) and to prefer known values than picks, so iw oudlnt be surprised if this move was made for a young top 6 forward.

Those players are not available unless there are contract disputes, issues behind the scenes making teams want to get rid of those players and situations where the types of assets we are looking for only become available following injuries or at the TDL.

Been hearing rumours about McGroarty for a while now, but it doesn't sound to me like picks are what the Jets are looking for. I think a package for him would require the main asset value to be more "certain" than a pick. I'm giving an example of Mailloux and Beck with picks to equalize value to illustrate my point, but I have no idea.

Reactions: HabsQC

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Habs window isn't close to being open. I know the Habs organization likes throwing their young player to the wolves and expect them to be stars right off the bat but that isn't how it works.

They might even be worse next season,

They lost
-Kovacevic
-Allen
-Monahan

Monahan had a good season and isn't easily replaced

Is Primeau ready for full time backup duties?

Is one of the defense rookies going to step in and easily take over Kovacevic's role?

Honestly the Hab's "Window" is probably opens two seasons from now.
- Kovacevic was in/out of the line-up through the year. He lost his spot due to Hutson showing he's NHL ready and Mailloux showing good things in his first NHL game. That doesn't even account for Reinbacher who should also fight for a spot in the line-up. Montreal issue on D isn't necessarily depth as they have plenty of it right now, it's at the top where the issue is. We only have Matheson and Guhle right now as D who are legit top 4. Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux can grow into that role but they aren't there... Kovacevic is in the same spot as Harris and Struble. All are just decent NHL options and replaceable.

- Monahan was a real net positive for us until we lost him. Roy should be able to take some of his offensive contribution and everyone is hoping that Dach will be able to stay healthy. At this moment, Dach is the key. If he stays healthy and plays like he did early in the pre-season and first game and a half of the season, that should completely change our offense.

- Allen was not that much of a loss. Monty is playing well and Primeau showed he can handle 25-30 starts. He was playing well despite our many losses. It's also worth noting that Montreal was the team that lost the most 1-goal game of all the NHL. We were pretty competitive all year - We just couldn't get it done.

I think Habs will be in the mix for a playoff spot next year and their window will likely open in two years depending on which (key) prospect(s) grow into the role they were drafted for. One thing I know, they will be a real menace 3-4 years from now and should be legit contenders for a good 6-8 years.

Reactions: Xirik

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
I'm not quite sure Hutson can play in the league on a regular basis. He could still turn into MAB. Counting on Mailloux may be even riskier. That means you keep Harris.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
- Kovacevic was in/out of the line-up through the year. He lost his spot due to Hutson showing he's NHL ready and Mailloux showing good things in his first NHL game. That doesn't even account for Reinbacher who should also fight for a spot in the line-up. Montreal issue on D isn't necessarily depth as they have plenty of it right now, it's at the top where the issue is. We only have Matheson and Guhle right now as D who are legit top 4. Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux can grow into that role but they aren't there... Kovacevic is in the same spot as Harris and Struble. All are just decent NHL options and replaceable.

- Monahan was a real net positive for us until we lost him. Roy should be able to take some of his offensive contribution and everyone is hoping that Dach will be able to stay healthy. At this moment, Dach is the key. If he stays healthy and plays like he did early in the pre-season and first game and a half of the season, that should completely change our offense.

- Allen was not that much of a loss. Monty is playing well and Primeau showed he can handle 25-30 starts. He was playing well despite our many losses. It's also worth noting that Montreal was the team that lost the most 1-goal game of all the NHL. We were pretty competitive all year - We just couldn't get it done.

I think Habs will be in the mix for a playoff spot next year and their window will likely open in two years depending on which (key) prospect(s) grow into the role they were drafted for. One thing I know, they will be a real menace 3-4 years from now and should be legit contenders for a good 6-8 years.
What I'm mostly trying to say is that Rookies have ups and downs and just because they might be "NHL ready" they will still make mistakes and hopefully teammates that can cover for them. There have been many rookies over the year that start off hot early on but then wane. Same thing could happen to Hutson, Mailoux, and Reinbacher.

Most teams don't get instantly better once they insert rookies into the roster. It can be up and down and be quite painful.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not quite sure Hutson can play in the league on a regular basis. He could still turn into MAB. Counting on Mailloux may be even riskier. That means you keep Harris.
Matheson and Savard are their true vets. X has been on the roster for 2 seasons. Pretty much 3 spots open for Harris, Guhle, Struble, Norlinder, Hutson, Barron, Mailloux, Reinbacher.

I would expect Mailloux in the A for 24/25 just due to not as much playing time in his teens between Covid and his off-ice matter. Everyone else, has to win their spot at camp. Barron is no longer waiver Exempt.

Habs need 1 or 2 of those kids to step up and show that they are legit NHL Dmen this season.

Reactions: HabsQC and kyne

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Habs are still 2-4 years away from there competitive window, it all depends on when Tampa falls off

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
As optimistic as I am about the Habs future 2 to 3 seasons down the road, I think it's complete lunacy that some fans and media are putting the team in playoff discussion next year. I like everything they've done this year, but outside of I would say Calgary, can anyone name a single team among the 10-15 that finished ahead of them that the Habs could leapfrog?

Utah improved SIGNIFICANTLY, Seattle got better, Sens fixed their goaltending, Devils should once again be the biggest riser in the NHL, Buffalo made a couple terrible moves IMO but they should see some improvement right off the bat...

I mean maybe Philly and Minnesota have potential to take a bit of a dive, but I really think Montreal fans and media need to take a step outside the bubble and look at the rest of the league.
We're only thinking about competing when Demidov gets here, I think it would take a couple miracles to crawl out of the bottom 10 next year.

There are virtually no similarities to their game, this is such a dumb comparison lol

• Love
Reactions: Bluenotes27

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The Habs went from 55, to 68, to 76 points in the last three years.

I think it's not the time for them to be sending out 1sts yet. When they become a bubble team like Buffalo or Detroit, then they can talk about that. I think they're in for another year 8th in the Atlantic before climbing up to where they can push.

Keep the picks and use them. Take dumps for picks and add to the already excellent prospect pool.

Edit: but I suppose with their pick and Calgary's pick being well able to be top ten picks and adding a good prospect, they could get a lot for the package.

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Habs are in search of one more top 6 player to begin our competitive window. Preferably this player is under 25 to fit with our young core.

We offer....both of our 1sts in 2025 + your choice of a young LD in Jordan Harris or Struble. Both guys can slide in nicely on a third pair. That is probably their ceiling.

Let's see some offers!
learned nothing from the Dvorak trade i see. the guys that are available likely wont push ur team forward but those picks have a chance down the road

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The Habs went from 55, to 68, to 76 points in the last three years.

I think it's not the time for them to be sending out 1sts yet. When they become a bubble team like Buffalo or Detroit, then they can talk about that. I think they're in for another year 8th in the Atlantic before climbing up to where they can push.

Keep the picks and use them. Take dumps for picks and add to the already excellent prospect pool.

Edit: but I suppose with their pick and Calgary's pick being well able to be top ten picks and adding a good prospect, they could get a lot for the package.
Next year I think they will be either buying out Anderson or moving him if he has a better season and going HARD after one of the top forward UFAs.

Montreal fans have been patient with the rebuild for the last couple years but this is definitely the season when they're going to be calling for some nonsense, rushed moves like Bergevin would have made

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Do you know how hockey works?

Kovacevic played 62 games last season for the Habs. Sure the player that took his spot at the season could fill the void but the one taking over is still a rookie who are prone to having up and down games and there is a thing called DEPTH. If that player goes down to injury they will have to throw another rookie into the mix.

Who knew Depth was a thing in hockey!!

Allen might not have been as good as Primeau or Monty by he still played games for the team which will have to be spit between those two. Do you know that Primeau will be just as good under a heavier workload?

If Habs fans want to stick Newhook with Anderson and Gallagher then go ahead. Might as well put two concrete blocks on his feet and throw him into the river.
I do know that Primeau played objectively better hockey once Allen was dealt. You're going to argue that the 3 goalie system, that all of the goalies AND the head coach complained about, was a good thing? lol

And Kovacevic would literally be #9, maybe even #10, on their defensive depth chart if he was still in the org.

But really good points all around keep them coming

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
learned nothing from the Dvorak trade i see. the guys that are available likely wont push ur team forward but those picks have a chance down the road
We have a wealth of depth at all positions. Sure we can add to it, via more draft picks, or we can parlay those draft picks into someone that makes some of our depth expendable.

Top 6 players that are of high probability of remaining there;

Suzuki
Slaf
Caufield
Dach
Demidov

Possible top 6 players in our system;

Newhook - needs to prove it this year, I personally like him on 3rd line
Roy - see above
Hage - long ways out....but has potential

Add in Beck and Kapanen for players with 3rd line potential.

Defensive depth

Hutson - top 2/4 potential and an excellent PP QB
Guhle - already a top 4
Reinbacher - top 2/4 potential shut down d man. Perfect pair with Hutson
Mailloux - 2nd pair ceiling with high solid 3rd pair probability
Xhekaj - already a 3rd pair guy. still room to grow.

Barron, Harris, Struble, Engstrom are all projecting as minimum 3rd pair guys.

We are deep as f***. Sure...we could add someone with those two picks via draft. What I would aim for if we were to trade them, is a current u25 top 6 player or high probability projectable prospect. The question I have is, would that package score something like that.

If the offers did not meet the criteria, and they may very well not, then I would stand firm with the picks and holding our D men.

This is where I am coming from. A confirmed piece, or I stay the course. Simply asking what he value is, not whether we should do this. I would do anything if the price is right.

Last edited:

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I do know that Primeau played objectively better hockey once Allen was dealt. You're going to argue that the 3 goalie system, that all of the goalies AND the head coach complained about, was a good thing? lol

And Kovacevic would literally be #9, maybe even #10, on their defensive depth chart if he was still in the org.

But really good points all around keep them coming
1. No I didn't say that

2. Kovacevic would probably be a 3rd pair D next season with the Habs or the 6th. The fact that you think just throwing all the rookie defenseman in the lineup is a good thing is comical.

3. Keep on showing your lack of knowledge about how fast and slow and on again off again rebuilding can take. There are many fans of teams in this thread that have are going through a rebuild or coming out of one. Perhaps it would be wise to listen to them instead of thinking the Habs are some magical team that will explode into the playoff soon.

We have a wealth of depth at all positions. Sure we can add to it, via more draft picks, or we can parlay those draft picks into someone that makes some of our depth expendable.

Top 6 players that are of high probability of remaining there;

Suzuki
Slaf
Caufield
Dach
Demidov

Possible top 6 players in our system;

Newhook - needs to prove it this year, I personally like him on 3rd line
Roy - see above
Hage - long ways out....but has potential

Add in Beck and Kapanen for players with 3rd line potential.

Defensive depth

Hutson - top 2/4 potential and an excellent PP QB
Guhle - already a top 4
Reinbacher - top 2/4 potential shut down d man. Perfect pair with Hutson
Mailloux - 2nd pair ceiling with high solid 3rd pair probability
Xhekaj - already a 3rd pair guy. still room to grow.

Barron, Harris, Struble, Engstrom are all projecting as minimum 3rd pair guys.

We are deep as f***. Sure...we could add someone with those two picks via draft. What I would aim for if we were to trade them, is a current u25 top 6 player or high probability projectable prospect. The question I have is, would that package score something like that.

If the offers did not meet the criteria, and they may very well not, then I would stand firm with the picks and holding our D men.

This is where I am coming from. A confirmed piece, or I stay the course. Simply asking what he value is, not whether we should do this. I would do anything if the price is right.
Poor Beck.

• Haha
Reactions: Jared Dunn

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
1. No I didn't say that

2. Kovacevic would probably be a 3rd pair D next season with the Habs or the 6th. The fact that you think just throwing all the rookie defenseman in the lineup is a good thing is comical.

3. Keep on showing your lack of knowledge about how fast and slow and on again off again rebuilding can take. There are many fans of teams in this thread that have are going through a rebuild or coming out of one. Perhaps it would be wise to listen to them instead of thinking the Habs are some magical team that will explode into the playoff soon.
I'll try my best not to lose sleep over the Habs trading someone that would have been otherwise lost to waivers. I can point to one person showing lack of knowledge in this thread, I know that much

The Habs won't sniff playoffs this year, but it certainly won't be due to the loss of the irreplaceable Jake Allen and Kovacevic :laugh: you're out here hinging their season on a backup goalie and a #6/7 defenceman

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad