Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Red Wings should be interested. Have money, prospects, players to make a deal in a trade of UFA. Idk if one will/could be made.

Stan Bowman/Steve Yzerman might be too tough of trade partners. One's a complete scumbag and the others high class.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Another factor, and perhaps the most important one, is where would he be willing to sign? Multiple teams would have room to fit him in, but would Draisaitl want to sign in Toronto? I have my doubts.

NYR? Definitely a place he'd likely want to go. Everyone does.
LA? His fiancé is an actress. Likely to be very appealing.
Florida? The just won the cup and have low taxes. A possibility.

I think most Canadian teams other than the Oilers are off his list. Very few are close to winning or have media/fans who don't make players uncomfortable. Drai puts up with the media here but doesn't like them.

Odds are the Oilers sign him anyway. Whatever the number they'll say yes and just make room elsewhere.
If the oilers sign him and #97 along with Bouchard while having Nurse that would likely eat up close to 50 million in cap. For how many years have people mocked the leafs for 40 million on the core four? This would essentially be the same assuming the cap gets to 100 million.
No team has won a cup with even two 10 million dollar contracts and having four players eating half your cap is worse.

If the oilers don't win a cup this year it will only get harder and that would be what 6 years of playoffs with this core?
Then again they brought in a GM who loves spending cap space so maybe it happens?

Personally I think you take Drai away from #97 and his point totals drop, a lot. I mean the pp alone he's constantly left open because teams double up #97.

Then you have the possible package you could potentially get a 1D and a lesser 2c + etc.

I get they made the finals but they were also 1 loss away from bowing out in the 2nd round and have had 5 attempts with these two and every year the excuse has been depth or goaltending. If they run back with those four taking up more than half the cap and a very shallow prospect pool, how are things any different?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I think whoever signs drasaitl outside of Edmonton will regret it. Hockey players don’t impact the game by themselves like in other sports ie.nfl quarterback, nba, mlb starting pitcher

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
If the oilers sign him and #97 along with Bouchard while having Nurse that would likely eat up close to 50 million in cap. For how many years have people mocked the leafs for 40 million on the core four? This would essentially be the same assuming the cap gets to 100 million.
No team has won a cup with even two 10 million dollar contracts and having four players eating half your cap is worse.

If the oilers don't win a cup this year it will only get harder and that would be what 6 years of playoffs with this core?
Then again they brought in a GM who loves spending cap space so maybe it happens?

Personally I think you take Drai away from #97 and his point totals drop, a lot. I mean the pp alone he's constantly left open because teams double up #97.

Then you have the possible package you could potentially get a 1D and a lesser 2c + etc.

I get they made the finals but they were also 1 loss away from bowing out in the 2nd round and have had 5 attempts with these two and every year the excuse has been depth or goaltending. If they run back with those four taking up more than half the cap and a very shallow prospect pool, how are things any different?
Obv Nurse contract is bad, but the diff is

McDavid>Matthews
Drai > Nylander
Bouchard > Marner (#1D have more value than W)

Fact is. At least EDM has money invested in their D, not 40M spent on offense alone

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba

Sorry, but are you comparing the Oilers core to the Leafs?

The Oilers core actually shows up in the playoffs.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Sorry, but are you comparing the Oilers core to the Leafs?

The Oilers core actually shows up in the playoffs.
Hey I’ll have you know that the leafs have more playoffs series wins against atlantic teams in the past decade!!!:D

(Can we please have Hyman back..?)

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The list would be very short. Every team would want him and most would be able to make the cap work although that would mean some difficult choices for most teams. However the list of teams that Drai would want to go to would probably be pretty short.
His best chance of winning is where he is now. (there are probably 3 or 4 other teams that the situation would be about the same). Any of the other top teams acquiring him would have to move some players to make room for the $ so there is a good chance his addition would not make as big of an impact because of the players the team has to give up to fit in a 13 million dollar contract.
The only place he can play with McDavid is Edmonton.
There would have to be a reason for him to move. Weather and lifestyle? How important is that to a player? It tends to be more important to the wives. During the season they dont have much time to worry about the weather and lifestyle of a city. In the offseason most players go somewhere else anyway. Even if they live someplace warm and beautiful. And actually Edmonton is very nice in the summer.
Money? The Oilers will give him as much as he wants. It will only be a question of whether or not he is willing to take a bit of a discount to help the team win. So he wont really get more $ anywhere else unless he doesnt care at all about winning. I dont see that.

Hey I’ll have you know that the leafs have more playoffs series wins against atlantic teams in the past decade!!!:D

(Can we please have Hyman back..?)
Lol. No take backs!

That depends on whether he's willing to start playing like a man and cut out the floating, diving, and cheap shots. Hard to justify spending top dollar for a locker room cancer.
Lol. Maybe the worst take ever. Like EVER, and that is saying a lot on HF.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I know that it won't happen but MTL surely would have the cap space and roster spot for him.

He'd instantly make MTL, at least, a bubble team.

But as I said, it won't happen.

So I'd bet the NYR would be the destination... as usual...

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
IMO after paying those ridiculous tax rates in Canada, he would be wise to look at Dallas, FL, Vegas, Seattle, Nashville, Tampa....and not lose money on those 41 game checks for home games.
You sign a 12 million AAV in Edmonton at 7 years, you are losing what? 4-5 million in taxes over 7 seasons....yuck.

Hollel

Jun 15, 2019
I think whoever signs drasaitl outside of Edmonton will regret it. Hockey players don’t impact the game by themselves like in other sports ie.nfl quarterback, nba, mlb starting pitcher
Probably why the team that’s signs him would choose to also roster a full lineup around him

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
IMO after paying those ridiculous tax rates in Canada, he would be wise to look at Dallas, FL, Vegas, Seattle, Nashville, Tampa....and not lose money on those 41 game checks for home games.
You sign a 12 million AAV in Edmonton at 7 years, you are losing what? 4-5 million in taxes over 7 seasons....yuck.
He’s also getting US dollars in Canada… that’s almost 30% more than the Canadian dollar. It helps offset

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
They have tax loop holes theybtake advantage of for sure. I think signing bonuses are taxed at a lower rate aswell

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leafs. Tavares and Marner off the books. Leafs need a 2nd top6 C. Drai has a cottage in Muskoka where he lives in the summer. Guessing his Fiance will want to stay in the GTA.

Knies Draisaitl Nylander
Domi Matthews Cowan
Drai likes winning though. Sorry Toronto.

That depends on whether he's willing to start playing like a man and cut out the floating, diving, and cheap shots. Hard to justify spending top dollar for a locker room cancer.
You literally just described Elias Pettersson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad