Speculation: Which teams would realistically be able and willing to sign Draisaitl if he didn't sign in Edmonton?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Using the money from expiring UFAs Kane, Maatta, Petry, Husso, and by dumping / buying out two or three of Copp Holl Chiarot, there should be money on Detroit for Draisaitl next summer, if they're willing to go with Cossa and somebody cheap-ish for goaltending. It would probably push Compher to the wing, and one of Kasper Danielson would probably end up on the wing eventually or traded eventually, but that's all stuff that's worth dealing with if you can add Draisaitl for only cap space and without trading anything away to get him.

If Draisaitl were to leave Edmonton - and I don't think he will, personally - it seems very unlikely that he would go to a team that has to gut their roster and cheap out on their goaltending to make him fit.

If the Red Wings are going with Cossa and "something cheap" in net, I think that would make them pretty unattractive to Draisaitl.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Rumor has it that the Kings will pursue Draisaitl hard and make him a priority should he reaxh free agency which is odd considering the bad blood between the two teams but Kopitar and him are said to be pretty close 🤷‍♂️

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He's the sort of player where, if it's even remotely feasible...an awful lot of teams would move heaven and earth to create the space to sign him.

If he'll agree to sign with your team, you'll spend whatever it takes to move cap out to make it workable, to sign one of the absolute best players in the world, still right in his prime.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

nerblet

Aug 9, 2015
I highly doubt Nashville would be in on him if he is going to be getting anywhere near a max contract. I don't see how they fit it under the cap.
Lol his point total would suffer if he didn't get to play against Nashville

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Montreal would have the space to make Draisailt fit in. Can't imagine that top 6

Draisaitl-Dach-Demidov
Caufield-Suzuki-Slafkovsky

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Basically any team would make room for him, the real question is how many teams outside of Edmonton would be more attractive to him. No chance he signs for a team that isn’t currently a contender.

Reactions: Dog

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
If Draisaitl were to leave Edmonton - and I don't think he will, personally - it seems very unlikely that he would go to a team that has to gut their roster and cheap out on their goaltending to make him fit.
Getting rid of 2 or 3 of Copp Chiarot Holl and not keeping Patrick Kane, Maatta, Husso isn't gutting their roster. Copp Kane and Maatta are the only players of consequence, and prospects like Danielseon Kasper Mazur Wallinder Buium are coming to replace those guys and maybe even be upgrades on them.

Cossa is the goalie of the future. He is expected to be in the NHL one year from now and is guaranteed to be in the NHL two years from now (unless he busts). Signing a 1B / very good backup to play with one of the best goalie prospects on the planet isn't really "cheaping out" on their goaltending. A perfect scenario would be a guy like Montembeault and a backup, and then Cossa eventually replaces the backup, and then Cossa starts earning starts, and then Montembeault is replaced with a backup. All over the course of 2 or 3 years. DET does not NEED a perfect scenario like that in net, as it's a luxury. Signing Draisaitl as a UFA and going with Cossa and a high-end backup is overall much better.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Dallas is going to have a ton of money coming off the books next season wtih Benn, Duchene, Dadonov, and Lindell opening something like 20 million. Oettinger, Johnston, and Harley will eat some of that up but they could still afford Drai.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I've long stated that LA and Draisaitl were a match.
I always pointed to them being out of their rebuild window by the time he hit UFA and that he would really propel them to the next level. Now LA's been a little quick to getting into consistent playoff play, and the team seems to have plateaued a bit on the young guys... but I think that'd be an A+ fit.

Reactions: funky

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
If he doesn't want to sign in Edmonton maybe a swap with TML for MM with Toronto adding something at lease Marner would know a few of the Oilers.

CantHaveTkachev

Jealousy
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
What would you use all the extra cap space on? Is there any other high-end player available? I'd imagine Marner would be BPA - lots of hate but people forget hes still a 100pt player lol
in the small chance he decides not to sign...I'd hope they got another good center in a trade, plus upgrade the D

wingers are the least valuable

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If he doesn't want to sign in Edmonton maybe a swap with TML for MM with Toronto adding something at lease Marner would know a few of the Oilers.
If he doesn’t want to sign in Edmonton, Toronto wouldn’t need to add onto Marner. But if he’s not wanting to stay in Edmonton, I doubt he signs with any other Canadian market

• Haha
Reactions: capazzo

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I didn't read the 9 pages, but there is lots of could, but at this point, Draisaitl is about winning. So let's say for example the Leafs move Marner and they have space for Draisaitl, is his chance of winning in Toronto more than Edmonton?

If you aren't a contender, then you are likely out of the mix.

Accelleratii

Jul 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
Flyers could but, if they resign TK to his reported asking price and Draisaitl in FA then BAM! Flyers right back in cap purgatory.

Would be the most Flyers thing ever though wouldn't it

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Getting rid of 2 or 3 of Copp Chiarot Holl and not keeping Patrick Kane, Maatta, Husso isn't gutting their roster. Copp Kane and Maatta are the only players of consequence, and prospects like Danielseon Kasper Mazur Wallinder Buium are coming to replace those guys and maybe even be upgrades on them.

Cossa is the goalie of the future. He is expected to be in the NHL one year from now and is guaranteed to be in the NHL two years from now (unless he busts). Signing a 1B / very good backup to play with one of the best goalie prospects on the planet isn't really "cheaping out" on their goaltending. A perfect scenario would be a guy like Montembeault and a backup, and then Cossa eventually replaces the backup, and then Cossa starts earning starts, and then Montembeault is replaced with a backup. All over the course of 2 or 3 years. DET does not NEED a perfect scenario like that in net, as it's a luxury. Signing Draisaitl as a UFA and going with Cossa and a high-end backup is overall much better.

Care to explain how you simultaneously "cheap out" on goaltending and also get a "high end backup?"

These two things can't co-exist. If you want a high end back up to pair with your young prospect, it's going to cost money.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
With absolutely no sarcasm, the correct answer is any team Drai wants to play for. He controls the destination.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
why would he go to a rebuilding team when he was 2 goals away from the Cup? I don't see it
Well he will sign long term and his addition to the top 6 along with a lot of good prospect on defense will make MTL a playoff team in 2-3 years and with Draisaitl they will have a good chance a being dominant in the playoffs.

Reactions: HabsQC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad