Value of: H. Lindholm vs Monahan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Monahan is more of a scorer than a twoway player, he's not strong defensively

Kopitar is not a good comparison. Monahan is like Stamkos-lite

He's not strong, but he's not below average either. Anyway I think of him as like.. A Rick Nash centre kind of?

But yeah, Flames fan, it's Lindholm but it's close. If he ups his production and Mony doesn't then it'd be a AINEC situation.

Yanda

Apr 9, 2014
Monahan is more of a scorer than a twoway player, he's not strong defensively

Kopitar is not a good comparison. Monahan is like Stamkos-lite

Um maybe in his first season when he got more sheltered minutes. Monahan is like Toews-lite.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
It probably comes down to a matter of opinion but in the event that the two were considered equally great at their position, I'd take the defenseman to build around.

Fair enough, I like the idea of building around a franchise centre, but I guess you really need both

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Meant as an offensive comparison, sorry. Consistent 70-75 pt centre who's a big body, couldn't think of another good comp off the top of my head

Who the hell is the consistent 70-75 point center whos a big body in this?

Certainly not Monahan.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
care to explain yourself.... ?

I'd say Lindholm as well but its closer than what youre suggesting

EDIT: Let me guess... you're one of them who calls McDavid a generational player with 50ish games under his belt

It's HfBoards, people use "AINEC" emotionally to get their point across :laugh:

Lindholm is better

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

EDIT: Let me guess... you're one of them who calls McDavid a generational player with 50ish games under his belt

:biglaugh:

Let me guess, Flames fan or that guy who didn't see Bobby Orr as the best player after his first season when he didn't win the Norris?

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Who the hell is the consistent 70-75 point center whos a big body in this?

Certainly not Monahan.

anze_kopitar.jpg

hmmmmmm

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Lindholm, easily. Monahan is great, but I see Lindholm being a consistent top 10 dman for many years, I can't see Monahan being a top 10 center not even accounting for the difference in value of a dman vs forward.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
Lindholm, but Monohan has huge value. young, #1 C with size, tough to find. Problem is, finding a young top pairing dman who has the potential to be a #1 D, is even tougher to find. Both are very good, valuable pieces.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Lindholm for sure but I do think Monahan is underrated on these boards for some reason

I don't think he's underrated. He's a very good young center, but he's not a Kopitar-lite. He's not really good defensively, but he's very good at scoring.

Lindholm is a true 1D right now. His ES scoring is solid and he absolutely crushes possession metrics in tough minutes. I would say he is quite literally the best defenseman in the NHL at pure defending based on his suppression numbers.

If Lindholm put up more raw production totals, he'd be in the Karlsson/Doughty tier.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
A top 2 D is worth easily more than monahan imo. If hall could only fetch larsson, then monahan doesnt come no where close to getting one of the best up and coming young D of this league.

mytduxfan*

A top 2 D is worth easily more than monahan imo. If hall could only fetch larsson, then monahan doesnt come no where close to getting one of the best up and coming young D of this league.

I'd take Monahan over Hall personally. C > W and Monahan puts up more goals then Hall. In fact, apart from one season, Monahan and Hall produce at a similar rate.

Regardless, the EDM deal for Larsson was done out of desperation. I don't think many clubs will be giving that much value to a top 2/3 D.

mytduxfan*

lol at monahan being better than hall, just no way.

I disagree, but I think there is an argument either way. There certainly isn't "no way" that Monahan could be considered better than Hall. Monahan has at least hit 30 for a start.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

EDIT: Let me guess...
you're one of them who calls McDavid a generational player with 50ish games under his belt

And the experts call McDavid a generational player with zero games under his belt . Not sure your point with this , seems salty . This thread is about Monahan vs Lindholm . I like both the Flames and the Oilers Oilers more but I can easier say Lindholm is worth more . Both are great young players with room to grow but you go with the D if all other things are = . Not that I think they are = . I think Lindholm will become an elite #1D . Monahan will become a great 1C , just not elite

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
lol at monahan being better than hall, just no way.

Why ? A centre has more value . Monaghan has scored more goals in a season then Hall has . Monahan is younger with room to grow . Hall while he has room to grow it not as much . Also value is base on needs sometimes . But if I was starting a team from the ground up . I would go with Monahan over Hall , but hell I was one of the ones that wanted him traded and was happy when it went down .

Value wise

D>C>>>W . Of course this is base on = talented .

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I'd take Monahan over Hall personally. C > W and Monahan puts up more goals then Hall. In fact, apart from one season, Monahan and Hall produce at a similar rate.

Regardless, the EDM deal for Larsson was done out of desperation. I don't think many clubs will be giving that much value to a top 2/3 D.

Halls been top 10 in scoring twice ..

Hall had a disappointing year this season and its still better than Monahan's career high

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad