Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's starting to look like very few in the league actually want to be here.

When we keep getting used like a $2 hooker to get what players actually want elsewhere, at what point do we take matters into our own hands and make a big trade to bring in someone who doesn't have a choice but to play here.

We traded for Seth Jarvis and Patrick Marleau that time.

Nikishin as well.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We traded for Seth Jarvis and Patrick Marleau that time.

Nikishin as well.
Nikishin was part of the Skinner trade 5 years ago. Those kind of moves are great for the long term but they do very little to help you win now, which is where the Canes are. And even then neither of those 2 players are in their prime, and we are still a year out from seeing Nikishin here.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Nikishin was part of the Skinner trade 5 years ago. Those kind of moves are great for the long term but they do very little to help you win now, which is where the Canes are. And even then neither of those 2 players are in their prime, and we are still a year out from seeing Nikishin here.

The point is, if we’re not a destination, the way we get guys who “don’t have a choice” is by doing exactly what we have been doing and being good in the long run.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The best way to be a destination is to win championships. Florida and Tampa weren't exactly destinations when both teams sucked.

This team could be in Wichita or Fort Wayne or hell even back to Greensboro, if they started winning championships, other players would take notice.

Here's a question, how many "destinations" are there in this league? 3? 4?

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Again, all Cory's tweet said is that the ask was 8x8 in the days before the draft. It doesn't indicate how long that ask has been on the table.

If it was an ask that's been there for weeks and we waited until Thursday, then yeah, it's a giant mistake.
You have no idea if it was a mistake or not. None of us do as we don’t know what Guentzels real desires are. You are reading what you want into it. Negotiations aren’t static like that.

More than likely he got that from Carolina and his agent went to other teams and suddenly Tampa says: “if that’s all it costs, let’s start clearing space”. If he wanted to be here, he’d be here if that is truly his ask.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jared staal
Jarrett stoll
Viktor stalberg
Eric stoltz
1719778447967.png

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Did we lowball him? Or did we offer him what he's worth, and someone else gave him a dumb contract?

Lot of teams around the league got millions in dead cap because they weren't "cheap".
When he signs for $9M and you offer $6.5M, you lowballed him.

We can argue all day whether he was worth the $9M or not (he wasn't), but he was certainly worth quite a bit more than what we offered, IDK how you can argue otherwise.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I have faith in this F.O. They will figure it out. Things happen for a reason, and this may be a blessing in disguise.

Also, our drafting is so goddamn good, I bet we will be just fine. Who knows, within a year or 3 someone like an FUS or Nadeau or Trikozov might be lighting shit up and we'll all forget about this Guentzel nonsense.

OBXer

It's always good to have a goal
Feb 4, 2021
Manteo, NC
I read we decided to play let’s make a deal with him and by the time we met his asking price it was too late. The market had changed the Bolts had cleared cap space and we were left holding a 3rd round pick.

If this is a one off instead of a trend, well that’s hockey. If it is a trend then we have a problem.

Reactions: Francis10

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have faith in this F.O. They will figure it out. Things happen for a reason, and this may be a blessing in disguise.

Also, our drafting is so goddamn good, I bet we will be just fine. Who knows, within a year or 3 someone like an FUS or Nadeau or Trikozov might be lighting shit up and we'll all forget about this Guentzel nonsense.

Nadeau is a wildcard in all of this.

I’m not predicting a 20 goal season or anything crazy like that, but when we played all the kids in Game 82, he was the one who stood out to me as a gamechanger. If he can have a Jarvis-like rookie year (fully admitting that’s a long shot), it’d go a long way toward bolstering the top 9.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Put me in "the Borg is incompetent" camp.

Here's what I would have done:
  • Re-signed Forsling to an 8 year deal back when we could have done it for a couple million AAV
  • Re-signed Hamilton
  • Re-signed Trocheck
  • Traded for Matthew Tkachuk (no Aho, Slavin, Svech, or Jarvis involved)
  • Re-signed Chatty last summer when we could have done it for less than $2m AAV
  • Re-signed Guentzel
PROFIT!

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

The drafting seems good, but the development is still a big question IMO. I imagine having an AHL team again should help matters, but we keep hearing about how well we draft, but we're still yet to see these guys we draft making an impact at the NHL level.

Since this regime took over (2018), we've only developed four NHL regulars (Svech, Drury, Kochetkov, Jarvis). At some point all these picks we make are gonna have to start paying off ... right?

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
Put me in "the Borg is incompetent" camp.

Here's what I would have done:
  • Re-signed Forsling to an 8 year deal back when we could have done it for a couple million AAV
  • Re-signed Hamilton
  • Re-signed Trocheck
  • Traded for Matthew Tkachuk (no Aho, Slavin, Svech, or Jarvis involved)
  • Re-signed Chatty last summer when we could have done it for less than $2m AAV
  • Re-signed Guentzel
PROFIT!
You forgot about Pettersson, extended, at the trade deadline, for Bunting and a 3rd

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You have no idea if it was a mistake or not. None of us do as we don’t know what Guentzels real desires are. You are reading what you want into it. Negotiations aren’t static like that.

More than likely he got that from Carolina and his agent went to other teams and suddenly Tampa says: “if that’s all it costs, let’s start clearing space”. If he wanted to be here, he’d be here if that is truly his ask.

You're right. We don't know what the negotiations were like. But we do know what Dundon has been like in past negotiations. We know he likes to have things his way or the highway.

So when we have a report that we've let Jake's asking price sit "for a while" and have a report that we were apparently offering him less than his asking price a few days before meeting that price, it does open up the idea that he may have wanted to sign here, but soured on the idea over the negotiation process.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Justicebork

Jul 13, 2022
You're right. We don't know what the negotiations were like. But we do know what Dundon has been like in past negotiations. We know he likes to have things his way or the highway.

So when we have a report that we've let Jake's asking price sit "for a while" and have a report that we were apparently offering him less than his asking price a few days before meeting that price, it does open up the idea that he may have wanted to sign here, but soured on the idea over the negotiation process.
Don't forget about the report that we met the offer weeks ago. The truth is literally always in the middle.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The drafting seems good, but the development is still a big question IMO. I imagine having an AHL team again should help matters, but we keep hearing about how well we draft, but we're still yet to see these guys we draft making an impact at the NHL level.

Since this regime took over (2018), we've only developed four NHL regulars (Svech, Drury, Kochetkov, Jarvis). At some point all these picks we make are gonna have to start paying off ... right?

Well it would appear we are about to see what Morrow is made of. Nikishin next year (hopefully), soon Nadeau and Blake/FUS/Gleb.

Having control of the Wolves should be to our prospects benefit. We shall see.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

the report by the guy that 24-48 hours said it was a done deal? Maybe he just needed a reason so that he didn't have to backtrack on his earlier report?

I fully realize how Dundon and the team operates, but so did Guentzel's agent and every agent that deals with Carolina. This isn't a new thing.

Anyhow, If you want to believe it's a "giant mistake", then have at it. I still believe if Jake wanted to be here and 8x8 is really his ask, he'd be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $15,750.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $14,488.00