Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, am I just losing my mind, here?

This is *LITERALLY* how this phrase or thought is used by 99.9999999% of people. I've never heard of someone saying, "Well, he's played in the league so clearly he's a NHLer."

I mean, I guess in a true literal sense, sure? But that's not how this has ever been used in common parlance.

This is post-season silliness, I guess, lol.

Ivan Baranka is an NHLer because he played 1 game in the NHL :sarcasm:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would expect Brennan Othmann to become a pretty good NHL player. Whether he'll project out to be a top 6 winger is a wait and see but also top 6 winger on one of the best teams in the league can mean something quite different from top 6 winger on an average or not very good team. For now Brennan has to clean some things up and is a work in progress. I think people need to get past the 1st rounder business with him and accept that maybe he's not going to be a top line player at least for a while. FWIW both JT Miller and Kreider and even Zuccarello for that matter had a couple/three years of going back and forth from the AHL to the NHL and had to work their way up the lineup. Nothing was given to them.....they had to earn what they got. Instant gratification from a just drafted young kid happens very rarely. Even Jack Hughes years away from 2019 has flaws to his overall game.......for instance he's not particularly good when his team doesn't happen the puck and he's not good at face-offs.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I know these guys require bulletin board material to push themselves, but I audibly laughed out loud at Othmann saying he wants to prove people wrong

Pretty much everyone is rooting for you. And it’s not like you’re some 7th round pick

Who are these people that are wrong about you? Come on now lol

Reactions: bigdog16 and Atax

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I know these guys require bulletin board material to push themselves, but I audibly laughed out loud at Othmann saying he wants to prove people wrong

Pretty much everyone is rooting for you. And it’s not like you’re some 7th round pick

I dont pay at ton of attention to Hartford but I saw people taking the shine off Othmann all year because of his play away from the puck. Im sure he sees that too in the social media age.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
saying all the right things, showing awareness. Takes more than that to succeed at the next level.

Guy was taken 16th overall. Some guys can turn pride into a willingness to work and keep working on and off the ice. Some guys' pride manifests as entitlement.

will be interesting to see how his camp goes. I still think he starts in Hartford and comes up during the year. Whether or not he stays is probably up to him.

Likely that he and Berard see each other as competing for the same roster spot. that's probably a good thing.

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
Despite being told not to, and arguably knowing better, a lot of these younger guys DO read forums and Reddit and other social media. Those are the people he's talking about. Let's not pretend there aren't a bunch of people souring on the guy real quick.

edit: And of course a lot of end of season reporting.

edit2: And I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone in this post, simply stating why he's saying what he is.

Last edited:

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

totally disagree. Everyone and their mother shat on Othmann to end the year based on perceived low effort and ineffective 5v5 play. me included.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The plan has to be developing Othmann into a top 6 or better player within 2 years. Panarin will be gone on July 1 2026, Kreider will have 1 year left. Othmann makes the roster this year with a Cuylle-esque camp showing, imo. 3rd line baby steps, maybe some PK time. He's one of 2 guys in the pipeline who have top line upside but some patience will be needed. Gotta think Drury is looking at Othmann and Perrault as the future on the wings.

Reactions: bhamill

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

Lol, look at the prospect poll, half the people already said he’s nothing more than a 3rd liner and some already gave up on him. It’s comical.

Reactions: Kords and bhamill

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The plan has to be developing Othmann into a top 6 or better player within 2 years. Panarin will be gone on July 1 2026, Kreider will have 1 year left. Othmann makes the roster this year with a Cuylle-esque camp showing, imo. 3rd line baby steps, maybe some PK time. He's one of 2 guys in the pipeline who have top line upside but some patience will be needed. Gotta think Drury is looking at Othmann and Perrault as the future on the wings.
Othmann has a ceiling. Maybe he has top line ceiling but I’m not sure of that.
I think he’s a middle 6 guy.
Just because he was drafted in the first (and wasn’t a bad pick) doesn’t mean he’s automatically going to be a top line player..

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Just because he was drafted in the first (and wasn’t a bad pick) doesn’t mean he’s automatically going to be a top line player..

Im not going to sell him short. The organization seems like they still have high hopes for him.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think he will score a lot of goals at this level playing with NHLers that can find him with the puck. Some players just translate into better major leaguers than they were minor leaguers because their talents can be utilized more fully playing with more skilled teammates.
That being said, with Laf and Gabe projected to both be 1st liners, he may be a 2nd liner with no space to move up no matter how deserving.
Imagine Laf being able to play center, a la Messier, and Oth and Gabe flanking him...

Reactions: 100Eyes

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Brennan Othmann has an unreal motor and drive to get to the hard areas of the ice to score goals. Whether that will make him a 3rd line player, 2nd liner or 1st liner it really doesn't matter. I truly think he is going to change the dynamic of the team when he makes it. He has that type of energy and attitude.
i haven't seen that kind of motor in terms of two-way game. He's definitely willing to go to the netfront and corners. He wants to score and knows how. He finds space and drives the puck.

I feel like Bertuzzi is a decent comp if Othmann can get his skating up to pro level and get up to 200lbs or so.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's just development and getting better. I don't think there are all that very many who aren't thinking he's going to become a good NHL player. The questions are about his upside and the opportunities that are in front of him now. There aren't any openings into the top 6 unless he can outplay Reilly Smith and there aren't openings on the 1st unit power play and probably even limited for him on the 2nd unit. If I remember he only had somewhere around 20 even strength points last year in the AHL.....the greater part of his production came on the power play and then he was the worst minus player on that team though I would think a decent number of that were empty netters scored by the opposition. That's production stat shit though and often players first make it to the NHL because they show they can forecheck and grind and do the little things away from the puck and be reliable and consistent defensively. That's how I think he's going to make it at first too and he won't be the first 1st rounder we've had that had call ups and demotions and frustrations and inconsistencies to work out. Kreider was one. It takes time for most young players to find their way.

Reactions: noncents

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

Lol thought the same. I could see it coming from Berard, mid round undersized winger who wears his heart on his sleeve to get to where he’s at.

Othmann has seen very little adversity in his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad