Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He literally played in the NHL. I know for a fact he can play in the NHL simply because he did. Can you elaborate on what standard you are imposing here? Play at an all-star level? 15 minutes a night standard? 8 min a night? What are specific milestones you are looking for for Othmann to pass these invisible goals? That's all I mean by my statement.
Who the hell said he didn't play a few games in the NHL? Do you not understand what we are discussing? The discussion is whether he can hang in and stay in the league.

We have no clue if he can actually play in the league. I don't give two f***s if the guy got a cup of coffee. He showed nothing with it and was pretty mid in the AHL.

Like, I have no clue what you're even arguing, here. It sounds like you are having some fever dream where people are saying he didn't actually play in the NHL. I mean, no f***ing shit. He played a few games. He also did nothing in those few games. Those few games only showed he wasn't ready to be a NHLer. Hence why he was sent back down to the AHL.

What are you not getting, here? You're a much smarter poster than this. What a bizarre hill to die on here for you. I think you're just flat-out not getting what the discussion is about.

Reactions: RangerBlues

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
How many other organizations have taken a player who has played wing his entire life and turned him into a productive center?

Rangers moved Chytil to center when he was a LW with Zlin (Although he played center in junior hockey). Aho and Hayes are pretty well-known examples as well.

Not that I think Lafrenière should be moved to the middle, but it's not as uncommon as you might think.

It goes both ways. Players switch positions all the time in today's game. Othmann played center until he was 15 and Shane Wright joined the Flyers. Kakko played center for TPS in Liiga for a stretch when they were down a few centers. Didn't look out of place either.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rangers moved Chytil to center when he was a LW with Zlin (Although he played center in junior hockey). Aho and Hayes are pretty well-known examples as well.

Not that I think Lafrenière should be moved to the middle, but it's not as uncommon as you might think.

It goes both ways. Players switch positions all the time in today's game. Othmann played center until he was 15 and Shane Wright joined the Flyers. Kakko played center for TPS in Liiga for a stretch when they were down a few centers. Didn't look out of place either.
I think it's way more common for a player to play center when younger, then become a wing in the NHL, than it is the reverse.

The Rangers are by no means "the least creative and forward thinking org in the NHL" because they haven't tried Laf at center, as the other poster suggested.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I think it's way more common for a player to play center when younger, then become a wing in the NHL, than it is the reverse.

The Rangers are by no means "the least creative and forward thinking org in the NHL" because they haven't tried Laf at center, as the other poster suggested.

Yeah, I agree on that last part. I was simply giving examples of players who switched positions throughout their careers. I think a lot of fans are still hung up on hockey in the 90s and early 2000s when it was a lot less fluid and more straight-forward.

Today's hockey is much more dynamic, and as such, positions aren't as much set in stone as they once were.

Reactions: Ranger Wolf

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
According to the interwebs, Claude Giroux (RW), Mark Messier (LW), Henrik Zetterberg (LW), Sebastian Aho (LW), David Backes (RW). There are a few less notable players but it does seem to happen.
Based on your account you’re not a spring chicken by any means, so maybe you didn’t realize it but you pulled 5 players from a span of about 40-year period!! That’s kind a proof in itself that this is not something you can count on as a likely development.

Reactions: GAGLine

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
Honestly I see where you are coming from. Lafs play style suits being a center 100%. Pretty sure he has also worked hard on his faceoffs, but you have Zib and Trocheck locked in for the next 7 years?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Cuylee, Chytil, Othmaan is an ideal 3rd line that can create offense potentially and bang

Just run with it and go more pkers on the 4th

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Who the hell said he didn't play a few games in the NHL? Do you not understand what we are discussing? The discussion is whether he can hang in and stay in the league.

We have no clue if he can actually play in the league. I don't give two f***s if the guy got a cup of coffee. He showed nothing with it and was pretty mid in the AHL.

Like, I have no clue what you're even arguing, here. It sounds like you are having some fever dream where people are saying he didn't actually play in the NHL. I mean, no f***ing shit. He played a few games. He also did nothing in those few games. Those few games only showed he wasn't ready to be a NHLer. Hence why he was sent back down to the AHL.

What are you not getting, here? You're a much smarter poster than this. What a bizarre hill to die on here for you. I think you're just flat-out not getting what the discussion is about.
LOL, you seem to be the one arguing. I was responding to @RangerBlues 's statement. He's the one who said that "we don't know if he can play in the NHL" and I asked him to elaborate what he meant by that because it was not a great choice of words given that Othmann did play in the NHL, even if it was a cup of coffee. I clarified what I'm talking about there because there is an unspoken standard y'all talking about. Like if he is playing in 60 games a season with ATOI of 4:00, is that still considered "we don't know if he can play in the NHL?" All I got from @RangerBlues was a throw away comment about Dylan McIlrath who played a handful of games. I'll admit that when responded to you, I thought I was responding to them.

Based on your account you’re not a spring chicken by any means, so maybe you didn’t realize it but you pulled 5 players from a span of about 40-year period!! That’s kind a proof in itself that this is not something you can count on as a likely development.
Oh for sure. The question seemed to be if there was any precedent for it. I think it's worth trying like it'd be great if Peca could run a summer "Centers" camp for the prospects who want to learn the position because 1) good skills to have 2) more opportunities to crack the lineup. But I don't think we're expecting success at the scale of the names listed. I'm sure there are more players on the list but they weren't as successful.

Last edited:

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Think Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann would be a really fun third line to try next year and a pain to go against.
That line could really grind down the opposition. Cuylle was SEVENTH in the league in hits with 249.
Trocheck at 60th with 175. No clue how much Othmann hit in the AHL, they don't seem to track that stat. If he hits like he did in the OHL though. In 3 games up, he did have 6 hits. Small sample size but 2 hits avg per game would be 164. Comparable to Gourde, Vatrano, Slafkovsky, Old man Ovie, Carrick.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I just saw a reel come up in my feed where Emily Kaplan was saying that the Rangers were in heavy on Guentzel, but the Pens wanted a 1st, KK and Perrault. Drury walked because of Gabe. Othmann waa offered by Drury in a package as well.
Since we are not playing we are glad we did not make that trade but Jake would have been a difference maker vs Florida. I'm not saying we would have won. I'm just saying he would have been an improvement.

Reactions: Daves a mess

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Since we are not playing we are glad we did not make that trade but Jake would have been a difference maker vs Florida. I'm not saying we would have won. I'm just saying he would have been an improvement.
Yeah but chaos theory probably results in KK scoring 2 goals for the Pens which push then up to the 8th seed, and then Crosby goes full-Crosby against usand they bounce us in the first round.
It was much safer this way 😁

• Haha
Reactions: NickyFotiu

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
He literally played in the NHL. I know for a fact he can play in the NHL simply because he did. Can you elaborate on what standard you are imposing here? Play at an all-star level? 15 minutes a night standard? 8 min a night? What are specific milestones you are looking for for Othmann to pass these invisible goals? That's all I mean by my statement.
Don't go for a line change at the most inopportune time and have the coaches wave you to the defensive zone like you're rounding third base.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
This kid dont hit or play defense in the AHL.
Physicality and D is what keeps a player like Cyuylle around while his contract is cheap.
If he develops any kind of offensive game its a plus.
Othmann who looks like a player who peaked in his draft year.
Like Lias Anderson.
He needs to grow a brain or build another gear.
At this point I do not ever see him being an NHL player of any importance.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
LOL, you seem to be the one arguing. I was responding to @RangerBlues 's statement. He's the one who said that "we don't know if he can play in the NHL" and I asked him to elaborate what he meant by that because it was not a great choice of words given that Othmann did play in the NHL, even if it was a cup of coffee.
I mean, this is just a commonly understood thing that you're pushing back on. I have no idea why you're pushing back on it at all, frankly.

Like, this is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone push back on such a commonly used phrase.

Again, just a strange hill to die on. The phrase is used just as that in every single sport, really. Maybe save the NFL just due to how it's set up.

Reactions: bleedblue94

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I mean, this is just a commonly understood thing that you're pushing back on. I have no idea why you're pushing back on it at all, frankly.

Like, this is literally the first time I have ever seen anyone push back on such a commonly used phrase.

Again, just a strange hill to die on. The phrase is used just as that in every single sport, really. Maybe save the NFL just due to how it's set up.
Dude. Go away. You keep making up arguments I am not having with you. I'm not disputing the phrase "cup of coffee." Another poster said Othmann is not an NHL player. All I asked was "what do you mean? he has played in the NHL. Can you elaborate the standard you think he needs to meet and what benchmarks he needs to hit?" If you want to join in the convo, go re-read all those posts and give your two cents.

• Haha
Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Dude. Go away. You keep making up arguments I am not having with you. I'm not disputing the phrase "cup of coffee." Another poster said Othmann is not an NHL player. All I asked was "what do you mean? he has played in the NHL. Can you elaborate the standard you think he needs to meet and what benchmarks he needs to hit?" If you want to join in the convo, go re-read all those posts and give your two cents.

You're just acting weird. Like, this is all common parlance. No clue why you're arguing with ghosts.

Reactions: bleedblue94

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
You're just acting weird. Like, this is all common parlance. No clue why you're arguing with ghosts.
I admit, it is super weird to ask someone on a forum "what did you mean by that" instead of just flaming them immediately. I also admit to talking to a ghost. @RangerBlues doesn't read the posts or respond to my questions so I have officially stopped caring to pursue this conversation. I hope we can have a normal one in the future.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Tanner Glass played 527 games in the NHL and at no point during that time would I have called him an NHL player.

It's a quality measure, and there's obviously some subjectivity to it.

Yeah, am I just losing my mind, here?

This is *LITERALLY* how this phrase or thought is used by 99.9999999% of people. I've never heard of someone saying, "Well, he's played in the league so clearly he's a NHLer."

I mean, I guess in a true literal sense, sure? But that's not how this has ever been used in common parlance.

This is post-season silliness, I guess, lol.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tanner Glass to me for sure was an NHL player. People sometimes misunderstand or don't want to understand what roles are and he performed his kind of role for several teams which is why he stuck around for so long. His brand of physical play/enforcer is not nearly a thing these days but he was pretty much a hard charging forechecking player who now and again knocked in a goal and was always ready to drop the gloves.

Brennan Othmann's first game with the Rangers was actually pretty good. The two other games he played not so much. He's a young player. Seems to have a good head but his game away from the puck at the AHL level last year wasn't very good and a lot of his production came from from the power play. If Brennan's making the Rangers this year it's very unlikely he'll see much power play time. For one I don't foresee the Rangers moving any of the regulars on their first power play unit in the offseason so I think we can figure that it will be the same first power play unit next year and if anyone is going to challenge that it's Lafreniere not Othmann. This is why for Brennan his play away from the puck is important. His offensive opportunities at least until he can prove he's on a level with the Rangers most productive wingers. It's not going to be given to him. Keeping in mind as well it's one thing to make the team and it's another to stick. Again play away from the puck has to be good enough and it's why Will Cuylle is a better player than Othmann or at least right now. A consistent game is another thing that helps a player to stick. One really good game followed by two no shows is not the kind of consistency that a coaching staff looks for.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
I made my point clear. No further elaboration needed.
Im not gonna sit here and throw shit on the kids head.
If he wants to be a NHL player he has to pull his head out his ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad