Prospect Info: At 16th Overall the Rangers Select Brennan Othmann

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I feel like Othmann is getting the development timeline JT Miller shouldve gotten here. We called up JT as a 19 year old and he got yo-yo'd for 3 years and never really learned anything because playing for a Cup contender isnt good for teaching young players.

Let Othmann continue to cook in the AHL. Watching him in preseasons he still hasnt filled out. He's still only 21. Only our fans could be impatient on a prospect like this after all we've been through with our other players. And definitely don't trade him for a freaking rental to help this team.
its like people forget how long it took kreider to develop.

Reactions: bhamill

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
(from Roster Building):

Imagine if we had drafted Wallstedt in '21 instead of Othmann? We could have a stud goalie ready to step in as soon as this season, while phasing out Igor/making them a tandem this year.

Instead, we're dealing with this BS contract situation and mid-level forward prospect not ready to make the jump this year. Another awful case of Rangers drafting...
They should have drafted Wyatt Johnston over both of them. The guy who just scored 32 goals as a 20 year old.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Same here. I thought it was a slam dunk. And then they call Othmann lol! Hated the pick then, still hate it lol!!
I don't hate the Othmann pick. I think he's going to be exactly what we need in the middle six, but with the Igor situation... maybe Wallstedt would have worked out better.
Ah well.

its like people forget how long it took kreider to develop.
at Othmann's age he split time between AHL (48 games) and NHL (23) and had 2 NHL goals and 1 assist...

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I seem to recall at least a few people in favor of taking Wallstedt based on value. I wouldn't have been against it, but even given his play since being drafted, it would be a pretty big leap of faith to put the franchise in his hands.

I wanted Wallstedt, because BPA for the first 1-1.5 rounds is the way to go. But honestly, I'm kind of ready to let Shesty walk as is. No leap of faith is necessary; I just don't want to overpay a goalie by like 3-4M.

If we had Wallstedt ready to step in, it would just make it a little easier on the nerves.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I wanted Wallstedt, because BPA for the first 1-1.5 rounds is the way to go. But honestly, I'm kind of ready to let Shesty walk as is. No leap of faith is necessary; I just don't want to overpay a goalie by like 3-4M.

If we had Wallstedt ready to step in, it would just make it a little easier on the nerves.
If we let him walk, we are left with 2 choices:

1) Find a replacement who won't be as good and may cost us a significant amount of cap and/or assets, assuming a suitable replacement can even be found.

2) Embrace a rebuild/retool and accept that we will be bad for a bit.

I can't imagine the Rangers, whether it's Dolan, Drury, or anyone else, going with #2. We're only 6 years from removed from them formally announcing a rebuild, and that rebuild lasted all of a year before we began spending again. They clearly don't have the stomach for playing the long game.

So, that leaves us with #1. Maybe we can find a reasonably good goalie at a reason price, but there's no doubt that the team, at least in the short term, will be the worse for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad