Confirmed with Link: Guentzel's rights traded to Tampa for 25 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Carolina's offer for Tkachuk was far better than Florida's in hindsight. Calgary's management group at the time was a myopic, panicky, and short-sighted group who were clinging hard to an idea that they could still be cup-competitive. That's the variable that the Canes couldn't control in the Tkachuk sweepstakes. They will recover from that and inevitably there will be another star who gets disgruntled and requests a trade. Their farm system has developed to the point that they will have the package to pull it off this time. Just remember that it always takes two to tango.
Ok but I was responding to your comment that we should all just take it in stride because Florida lost rentals a couple years ago without mentioning that the reason that Florida was ok after they went for it and missed was because they immediately blew it up with a big trade that completely changed their direction.

So by logic, we should have a Huberdeau for Tkachuk level trade coming, right?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Ok but I was responding to your comment that we should all just take it in stride because Florida lost rentals a couple years ago without mentioning that the reason that Florida was ok after they went for it and missed was because they immediately blew it up with a big trade that completely changed their direction.

So by logic, we should have a Huberdeau for Tkachuk level trade coming, right?
These aren’t similar situations and you’re making your usual bad faith arguments just to piss and moan when something goes wrong

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
They were willing to pay market value...apparently well after Guentzel asked for it and spent the meantime trying to get him below market value.

That's not "Guentzel choosing elsewhere." That's Carolina souring the negotiations, basically driving Guentzel to choose elsewhere.
they were not willing to pay market value in the end. the market value apparently is 7 years at $9.25m per. this could have been avoided. I felt strongly he would get $9M AAV from someone. they screwed around and low balled the first offer and waited too long. This is 100% Dundon. I don't like this strategy at all. the irony will be epic if they take a run at stamkos. he will likely command 4 or 5 years at $5M per. he's getting a contract that pays him through his late 30's. Despite this, I actually think he would be an excellent signing.

I could see Stamkos and pesce signing. think Skjei is gone.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Quite frankly the fans have a right to be pissed off about this. They're raising prices across the board and setting expectations very high for the quality of play this team will have going forward. Seeing top talent walk out the door should put some heat on the front office.

This was a bungling by a front office that now has a bit of a history in being unable to hold onto good players that aren't home grown. Hamilton and Trocheck ran from us and even Aho as a home grown player signed an Offer Sheet. It's a problem
As I said in a previous post, Canes are in good shape revenue wise for '24-'25 (always good tactics to get $$$ up front before squad is known). They renewed their season ticket base while optimism was high and probably are banking on 2025's "holy grail" Nikishin to re-ignite passions.

Of course, they could knock it out of the park in free agency and then the team would not miss a beat. However, the HF "Canes fanatics" see a lot of moving pieces right now with a gap in D, a disgruntled Necas and missing requisite offensive talent for a highly competitive season (I wish Columbus would have traded for Necas because I'm doubtful the trade return for him will be as high).

If Canes don't have a good off-season, I expect a down season & the sell-out streak to end (I would roll with the young guys, Morrow/Nadeau, etc., get the high non-playoff pick and setup for another run '26 & beyond). Plus, season ticket holders will be hard pressed to sell their tickets/offset some of the high cost of being a Canes season ticket holder.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
am I wrong , isn't against the rules for a team or agent to seek what other teams are willing to give his client before FA? I remember in the 80s's some team getting fined and losing draft pics
Yes, it is called tampering and it is forbidden. There are some specific rules in the non-public NLH by-laws about it.

But at the same time, the agents feels they're not doing their job if they don't know where their player is getting the best contract (and they themselves the best cut), and the GMs' job is a windy position and there are only 32 to go around, so they all tamper like hell and everybody know it and even the hockey media has occasionally told us so.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I agree our tactics don’t mesh well with expensive contracts and vets. That’s why they went after Kk hard though, right? They’ll spend the money on the younger guys and he aggressive about it. Makes you feel the only way we get elite talent is drafting it or getting lucky having the right assets when an Eichel trade pops up.

I’d like to think the borg learns from its experiences. They can get better at this.
The thing with this “system” is, it’s fairly difficult to recover from a so-called “big swing” on a long term, expensive enough reclamation project … and it’s why Jack Drury had to be a 2nd line center in the playoffs. Which won’t work.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I bet the Canes will respond by taking on a huge cap hit for peanuts or FC via trade. That's what they did with Burns and Pacioretty. Candidates for this are Laine and Kadri, but there are other players on teams with worse cap situations who the Canes can exploit here. Looking back at the Golden Knights, if they really want to re-sign Marchessault, I wonder if the Canes have a shot at William Karlsson. He'd be a great fit here.

Reactions: Stickpucker

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I bet the Canes will respond by taking on a huge cap hit for peanuts or FC via trade. That's what they did with Burns and Pacioretty. Candidates for this are Laine and Kadri, but there are other players on teams with worse cap situations who the Canes can exploit here. Looking back at the Golden Knights, if they really want to re-sign Marchessault, I wonder if the Canes have a shot at William Karlsson. He'd be a great fit here.
I'm seriously wondering about a KK for Laine trade. Shit contract for badly damaged goods.

MyLuckyPuck

Jan 5, 2021
Insta-linechemistry and offense vs ......yea ill take the completely unpredictable and possibly nothing route Alex. I think we're hosed this season and for a while here. Huge gaps missing in the lineup up front and in back.

Reactions: Borsig

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
Tampa has $16.5M in cap space BEFORE signing Guentzel, and only has 16 players on roster. Let's say JG gets 8x8 with state tac discount (it could be more) - who are they going to sign 6/7 more guys with $8million dollars?

Reactions: Daeavorn

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Tampa has $16.5M in cap space BEFORE signing Guentzel, and only has 16 players on roster. Let's say JG gets 8x8 with state tac discount (it could be more) - who are they going to sign 6/7 more guys with $8million dollars?
He cant get 8 x 8. So 9 x 7 seems right.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad