Rumor: Guentzel's rights available for a mid-round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
The Canucks have cap space and just 3 Dman under contract. Mikheyev and his $4.75 million cap space will likely be traded.

And Vegas has shown that there is no such thing as "salary cap".
I don't think "Vegas" is an argument. You listed a bunch of expensive players. Can you illustrate a realistic situation in which you sign them all and remain under the cap? I don't think you can.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think "Vegas" is an argument. You listed a bunch of expensive players. Can you illustrate a realistic situation in which you sign them all and remain under the cap? I don't think you can.

You make trades to fit them in but Ekamn-Larrson is hurting them. You can fit the players but they need to get creative.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
You make trades to fit them in but Ekamn-Larrson is hurting them. You can fit the players but they need to get creative.
And how do they do that? Saying "get creative", "fit them in", etc. isn't a real solution or idea. That's just wishful thinking. Again, how do you re-sign Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm AND sign Guentzel for their reported asking price?

And no, "trade Mikheyev" doesn't cut it for an answer.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Having an elite experienced player to play with Bedard has a lot of value. Would help the kid grow, considering I'm sure Guentzel learned a lot of good habits from Crosby.

It would be the next best thing to actually playing WITH Crosby game-in game-out.

Sure, but by the time the team is ready to compete that contract (depending on the cap hit) might be hinderance. Hell be past his prime by then.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
And how do they do that? Saying "get creative", "fit them in", etc. isn't a real solution or idea. That's just wishful thinking. Again, how do you re-sign Hronek, Zadorov, Lindholm AND sign Guentzel for their reported asking price?

And no, "trade Mikheyev" doesn't cut it for an answer.

I think they would trade Hronek and sign a cheaper dman like Demelo.

With a Mikheyev buyout or trade and Poolman LTIR they have nearly 30M in CAP so it's definitely possible.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I am curious what pick they may get. Maybe a 5th or 6th for that 8th year.

I could be wrong, but don’t they have to have to have been on the roster since before the trade deadline to get the 8th year? Carolina could do a sign and trade (Like Holland tried to do with Hyman), but a trade only gets you negotiating rights sooner

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I think they would trade Hronek and sign a cheaper dman like Demelo.

With a Mikheyev buyout or trade and Poolman LTIR they have nearly 30M in CAP so it's definitely possible.
I think that cap space is going to disappear much faster than you realize if 1/3 of it goes to Guentzel. And you'll be taking a big hit on defence to do so.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Vancouver or Chicago bound imo.

I also predict a 90+ point season if he plays alongside Pettersson as well as the Canucks PP1 of Hughes, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Guentzel

7 years- Around 60 millon total.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I could be wrong, but don’t they have to have to have been on the roster since before the trade deadline to get the 8th year? Carolina could do a sign and trade (Like Holland tried to do with Hyman), but a trade only gets you negotiating rights sooner

Not 100% sure but if to get the 8th year is the sign and trade then it is what it is.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I mean to all the people asking why a team would want Guentzel for an 8th year…the answer probably is Guentzel wants the 8th year, not a team, and being able to negotiate from a position of giving him that gives you a strong leg up on signing him.

The 8th year is something the team that trades for his rights can offer that others can’t. It’s negotiation. Guentzel’s agent may have made it well known the 8th year is a priority.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
If the Canucks can fit him, they should definitely should, their window is right now. With Lindholm and Guentzel, they are pretty set at forward and they can focus on D.

On they need a top 4 Dman(assuming they sign Hronek and Zadorov), it would not surprise me if they go to the Flames and grab Ramus Andersson.

There is no realistic way we can afford all of them. Guentzel is very likely looking for 9-9.5M. That pretty much ends any discussion of bringing back Lindholm.

Likewise, we can't afford both Hronek and Zadorov if we're bringing in someone like Guentzel. Hell, we might not be able to afford them if Lindholm re-signs. Regardless, Calgary isn't trading Andersson. So that's an entirely moot discussion.

The whole "Vegas doesn't operate with a salary cap!" is nonsense. They've always started the season under the cap. What you're purposing would throw us laughably over it from day one.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I mean to all the people asking why a team would want Guentzel for an 8th year…the answer probably is Guentzel wants the 8th year, not a team, and being able to negotiate from a position of giving him that gives you a strong leg up on signing him.

The 8th year is something the team that trades for his rights can offer that others can’t. It’s negotiation. Guentzel’s agent may have made it well known the 8th year is a priority.

Yes on the first part - offering an 8th year could be the tipping point in signing him. Though to get that 8th year it has to be a sign & trade from Carolina. Trading his rights only offers a jumpstart on negotiating with him prior to July 1st and the acquiring team can only offer a max of 7 years.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
From the Pens, I'd send a 4th to get to talk to him early and apologize. Im not sure we legally can though after trading him at the deadline with retention.

Reactions: SEALBound

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Yes on the first part - offering an 8th year could be the tipping point in signing him. Though to get that 8th year it has to be a sign & trade from Carolina. Trading his rights only offers a jumpstart on negotiating with him prior to July 1st and the acquiring team can only offer a max of 7 years.
Thanks for the clarification!

I would assume that is what his agent is negotiating with the Canes getting a pick to act as the go-between to get that extra year plus the AAV he wants, which it sounds like the Canes are not willing to do (as a matter of keeping him).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He’s going to chase money and get a huge contract. He’s been underpaid for a while so good for him.

Vancouver or Chicago bound imo.

I also predict a 90+ point season if he plays alongside Pettersson as well as the Canucks PP1 of Hughes, Pettersson, Miller, Boeser, Guentzel

7 years- Around 60 millon total.

If Guentzel was wiling to sign this, he would have re-signed with the Penguins. Especially considering Vancouver’s taxes are higher than a lot of other places.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think Chicago would be a perfect landing spot for Guentzel. As far as any talk about him being too old because he's turning 30 this summer...high hockey IQ tends to age very well, and there are few wingers smarter than he is. He'd be worth it over the duration with his individual performance alone.

But more than that, he could take the lessons he learned playing on a Cup winner with another generational talent and help bring Bedard along.

If I were a Hawks fan, that would be money well spent. He's a gamer.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Tweet.

I am curious what pick they may get. Maybe a 5th or 6th for that 8th year.

I have read a few people thinking chicago may throw a lot at him.
Guentzel next to Bedard would be sexy.

I’m not sure Bedard, hyped as he is, truly has gotten enough credit for his rookie production when you look at the roster surrounding him.

In year two, you owe it to him and the franchise to get him some legit help. People will complain “why does a Chicago need a 30 year-old winger” but you can’t do the best version of the first part of the Bedard era - developing him and developing a culture, if you simply trot out prospects and bargain bin players.

It’s never too soon to give Bedard a legit 35-40 goal threat on his wing.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I could see a team like Sanjose bringing him into help their young centers along. Plus, they can afford him. Not many teams can.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’m not sure Bedard, hyped as he is, truly has gotten enough credit for his rookie production when you look at the roster surrounding him.

In year two, you owe it to him and the franchise to get him some legit help. People will complain “why does a Chicago need a 30 year-old winger” but you can’t do the best version of the first part of the Bedard era - developing him and developing a culture, if you simply trot out prospects and bargain bin players.

Guentzel is a Pavelski type. He has no natural skills so I don't see why his aging curve would have any issues.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Guentzel is a high IQ player and he has the vision to pass and be a goal scorer.

I think as long as Bedard and Guentzel have the forchecker that can get pucks and stick up for them. They will do well.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
From the Pens, I'd send a 4th to get to talk to him early and apologize. Im not sure we legally can though after trading him at the deadline with retention.
Legally no, but I am not sure the NHL would object since hes out of contract.

Better idea, just have Sid do it. :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad