Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
That was an entertaining game but the choice of shooters by George Burnett was bizarre aside from Ratcliffe. He had Samarukov and Merkley among the top three shooters in the shootout. He should have had Toropchenko (spelling??) and Hillis or Schnarr. The loss of that extra point is on the coach tonight.
Agreed. Saxon’s article said Burnett played “hunches” in the shootout. Word - don’t play “hunches” - I was similarly puzzled....

Reactions: StormWatcher

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Sunday in Erie
Guelph - 5
Erie - 4
GWG - Kirwin

Monday in Guelph
Guelph - 5
Erie - 3
GWG - Toropchenko

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Random question from another team fan:
Where do you guys buy tickets if you decide to go to a game?
I see varying prices on different outlets. Just don’t wanna make a bad purchase as it’ll be my first time visiting your arena.

Both recommendations on where to buy tickets, and food at the rink/nearby that we should check out.

Thanks in advance

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
There are two main options for buying tickets. Ticketmaster.ca or right at the box office at the arena. I would suggest the box office (avoid service fees). There should be tickets available for walk up.

As for food/drink there are a few establishments a few minutes walk from the arena with a variety of menu choices and price points. Italian, Burgers, Pubs, Bistro etc.

Reactions: SYWTom

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Lots of variation in the middle of the standings... who would the fans like to see as a match up in the first round?

The last time Guelph played Kitchener in the playoffs it was a spirited affair - while it's a great rivalry given the outcome I'm not sure I could stomach that one. I'm thinking Sarnia might be fun/interesting.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Brutal game with almost zero offensive chances against probably the weakest team in the OHL, this team is better than that. I'm not a fan of Samorukov and Merkley together.

Today made me really miss the championship days of "play every shift like it's your last" type of hockey, this team is just constantly giving up on plays and chances too early. It's very uninspiring and watching the team get outworked night in and night out has gotten tiring.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Lots of variation in the middle of the standings... who would the fans like to see as a match up in the first round?

The last time Guelph played Kitchener in the playoffs it was a spirited affair - while it's a great rivalry given the outcome I'm not sure I could stomach that one. I'm thinking Sarnia might be fun/interesting.

At this point, if they continue playing the way they have, I don’t think it really matters who they draw in the first round - it will be over relatively quick. Not impressed with the seemingly apathetic effort as of late and am starting to wonder if there are issues behind the scenes.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Ugh.... well, looks like the draft standings are improving!!!

On that note... the Jackson twins are both over a ppg this season. Hoping we see them in Crimson next year.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Brutal game with almost zero offensive chances against probably the weakest team in the OHL, this team is better than that. I'm not a fan of Samorukov and Merkley together.

Today made me really miss the championship days of "play every shift like it's your last" type of hockey, this team is just constantly giving up on plays and chances too early. It's very uninspiring and watching the team get outworked night in and night out has gotten tiring.
I hope by weakest team you either mean one of the weakest teams or they are small/not strong.
Erie has been relatively competitive all year. Don’t just look at the record. They have a -41 GD.. meanwhile Guelph has a -27.

Flint is -97
Sudbury -79
PBO -44
Ottawa -30

Erie should probably have 5/6 more wins this year. They aren’t that awful.

Molson Muscle

May 27, 2007
Today's game is one of the most pathetic games I have seen a Guelph Storm team play in several years!!! The shot clock was very generous in counting today. I am not sure Guelph got 20 shots on net and several of those were of the shoot in variety.

Some chatter after the game of issues within the team but given what we have seen from this team I think that is pretty obvious. I can't help but think that another reset with several players leaving is what will be needed if this team truly wants to contend.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

BarDownskie

Feb 3, 2018
The upcoming schedule isn't going to be kind to the storm. Back to back 3 in 3 weekends and they have 2 games left vs Owen sound. (1 home 1 away) one game in London. One game in Sarnia. And 3 more against kitchener (2 home 1 away) they also play Barrie and a hungry missauga team. Things aren't looking good. I've watched this team build from the 2015/2016 season and I don't think the time to panic is just yet. The expectation was to make the playoffs and maybe win a round. Winning a round seems like a stretch right now. But its not too late to make it a close 1st round and gain the much needed experience. The rebuild looks to be on track, i think the time is now for the storm to find and fix the problem before next season, the big question is can this core group be competitive next year?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013

Honestly, if the effort we saw this weekend is what we're going to get from here on out, I'd prefer the Soo. Means a higher pick at the end of the year, and it also might give management a more clear indication that the mix of this team just isn't going to work.

That said, I don't think it'll be this bad for the rest of the season. If I had to pick a matchup where I thought the Storm might actually stand a chance, I'd pick London or Sarnia. Both teams while good, I think have their weaknesses.

On that note... the Jackson twins are both over a ppg this season. Hoping we see them in Crimson next year.

Any idea if they have grown from their draft day heights? I'm not sure 5'4" plays in this league.

The rebuild looks to be on track, i think the time is now for the storm to find and fix the problem before next season, the big question is can this core group be competitive next year?

I don't agree with this at all. I think the mix of the team is all wrong. I also think if you look objectively at the stats (especially goal differential at -27 and their record 27W, 29L) you should have some skepticism about this teams future. I think they need too many pieces in order to be a championship contender next year, in the truest sense of the word.

**Also, congrats pool members! Pretty sure there were no points awarded this past weekend. Well done everyone - myself included!**

Reactions: Noofgoof

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Here are my dismal predictions for this weekend (which I hope I am wrong):

Fri. Feb 23
Owen Sound 6
Guelph 4
GWG - Sushko

Sat. Feb 24
Barrie 6
Guelph 3
GWG - Sokolov